Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site

Bbarbie

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
This does not bode well for the phone. IF this is a legit report (which as others have pointed out, the timeline is way too fast), I think we would need a few more replacement N7s melting down to taint the name beyond repair. I really hope this isn't the case. This phone is awesome.

This does seem like pretty legit, the entire plane was evacuated and canceled flight. Now what caused this is what needs to be looked at. He shower his pic of a AT&T box with black square on it too so it is a replacement. Weird part is i used my replacement note 7 all 6 hours i was on plane yesterday.
Ecig, etc. Exploding are all irrelevant the real question is are our new note 7 phones still a bomb threat ?

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
If this ends up being a replacement Note 7, i'm done. Just going to take mine back. I don't want to deal with all this crap again.
I'm on the fence.. I'm on my second replacement now and it's simply awesome... Battery lasts *beyond* my expectations.

Hopefully this is an isolated incident. If not.. not sure what I will do...

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Considering Jeep Guy was a media meme for weeks until disproven... heck, even after disproven- My guess is the media will shoot first and not ask questions later.
Watching ABC news tonight with David Muir and when they started taking about this story they showed the "burning jeep" as if it was the same deal.

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
This just might be the last straw for me... It's such a shame, I love this phone. But I travel for work extensively both domestic and international. Am going to watch the situation closely and if this really is a replacement phone that fried then I'm going to demand a refund from Verizon. It's unacceptable to have a phone that you can't take on an airplane. Idk what I'll get to replace it, definitely not an iphone.

Agreed. I also travel for work and they may just ban the phone completely from being on the plane. I will have to demand to return mine as well because of it.

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't have V2 on the box....I always said if it's not V2 .....there is a chance that it's still explosive....those none V2 labeled devices were probably the ones Samsung thought were safe and they did not retest...the majority of the actual V2 labeled devices especially the T-Mobile version were made in China and had no issues so far....

Also, that device looks exactly like every other defected Samsung note 7device that exploded and the explosion is in the same typical area.......either it was a inventory quality control mistake stating it was safe or just a coincidental mishap.....

bluesboy77

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
This is my first Android phone in many years, I've been an iPhone user for a long time. I love the Note 7 but this is not making me want to stay with an Android device as none of the other Android devices look even close to appealing to me. I will wait this out for a little while but not for long if there are any more issues.

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the fence.. I'm on my second replacement now and it's simply awesome... Battery lasts *beyond* my expectations.

Battery life for me has been crazy good. 6 hours of screen time with everything on including facebook. Whats even more crazy is my SOT with it on 1080p.. Over 8 hours, I can post the proof if needed. Again, thats with facebook, instagram, 2 gmails, GPS on, bluetooth on.

But this is just getting to be to much. Whats worst is that I returned my iPhone 7 Plus yesterday.

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site

This is a concern. I am on my second exchange after the recall. Never been happy with the battery life. If the recalled Note 7 will be having battery issues, i just do not think I will be keeping the Note 7 anytime longer.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Can regular, non techie people tell it's an edge and not a Note? So if you fly, would an attendant who has an iphone, know?

If you're asking is it safe? I don't know. Any phone could catch fire.

I should have been more clear. I mean to say with this incident, would it be a good idea to just stick with the Edge until the S8 Edge/Plus whatever it's named comes out? is it too risky buying a Note 7 now?

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
This is not the first electronic device to do this on a plane. An iPhone was in the air. Where is the same standard for other devices? Seems a profound double standard.

Idk... seems we all bough SAMSUNG note 7's cuz we had higher standards... I would expect these devices to perform better, and just be better in general, than all others...

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't have V2 on the box....I always said if it's not V2 .....there is a chance that it's still explosive....those none V2 labeled devices were probably the ones Samsung thought were safe and they did not retest...the majority of the actual V2 labeled devices especially the T-Mobile version were made in China and had no issues so far....

Also, that device looks exactly like every other defected Samsung note 7device that exploded and the explosion is in the same typical area.......either it was a inventory quality control mistake stating it was safe or just a coincidental mishap.....
None of the att replacements have a V2 that I know of..

From A Buick 8

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
One weird thing, the owner said he got a replacement on the 21st, I believe that's the first day the the replacements were available. In this news video clip the owner said the replacement was "sent to him", I didn't think any of the carriers shipped the phones directly to the owners, you had to go into a local carrier store and swap them out. Could have been a mix up and he meant the local carrier store but who knows. Here's the link: Replacement Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phone catches fire on Southwest plane

mine was shipped to me, many people had the replacements shipped.

E Padilla

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
I would assume that AT&T can verify if that phone's IMEI was in fact at that airport, at that time. I'd want proof that this phone is actually the replacement. Not pics of a box that could belong to another family member (ditto the screenshot of the IMEI search).

I feel the same way. Its just odd he was able to get an iPhone just moments later when his phone is still in custody. Just seems a bit off.

But I'm waiting for the investigation. It's just a bit disheartening since I love my Note 7. I don't see any device better than it. It just feels great in my hands and works great. Hopefully its an isolated incident or Samsung may have to do yet another recall on their recall and then probably just give everyone S8's for the hassle.

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
This is my first Android phone in many years, I've been an iPhone user for a long time. I love the Note 7 but this is not making me want to stay with an Android device as none of the other Android devices look even close to appealing to me. I will wait this out for a little while but not for long if there are any more issues.

On the same boat as you. I switched over to the Note 7 because I liked the specs and tech it had to offer, more superior than the iphone. However, I have not been satisfied with the battery life (only getting about 10 hours of battery life) and this is my second unit after I exchanged my first one with same problem. Now hearing that even the recalled versions are burning upp.. makes me seriously think about perhaps trying the S7 edge, or just sticking with my iphone 6s plus.

I really wanted to like and give Samsung a try, but this is not helping them.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I thought that the replacement devices shipped with the update already applied. The user should not have to update to make the battery turn green.
Also, he mentioned that his battery was at 80% when the incident happened. The update for the recalled devices prevented them from going above 60% charge. Its weird.

I had to update my replacement device for it to show the green battery.

IncredibleJedi

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
Here's the NBC News short interview with the N7 owner:

NBC News report

From my perspective, doesn't seem like the guy is trying to make a quick buck or two, and he didn't seem overly dramatic. The device was obviously a N7 from photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.