Anybody think the switch to USB-C charging port could be the cause of the battery problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Not necessarily. This still could be an issue related specifically to Samsung's manufacturing process.

After all, everyone else uses lithium batteries too, and yet...

Then it would be an issue with Samsung and their implementation of USB-C.

I thought the OP was asking about it just being USB-C in general and that is why I wrote that answer. :).

Longhorngary

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Then it would be an issue with Samsung and their implementation of USB-C.

I thought the OP was asking about it just being USB-C in general and that is why I wrote that answer. :).

This was exactly my point, Samsung in moving towards USB-C had to implement a new charging system. In doing so, they obviously had errors along the way either in design, build and new battery charging software.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
This was exactly my point, Samsung in moving towards USB-C had to implement a new charging system. In doing so, they obviously had errors along the way either in design, build and new battery charging software.

It's an interesting theory if nothing else. That would also explain why simply going with another battery didn't fix the problem. The problem wasn't solely the battery.

The oversized battery doesn't sit well with me. I'm pretty sure batteries that don't fit to specifications will not work.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't know but I hate usb c. The best features like hdmi capabilities are turned off so I have to buy all new accessories just so I never put plug in upside down? No thanks

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
How many global tales of Nexus 6p or Nexus 5x phones exploding or catching fire have there been? Nil. Both came out in 4th quarter 2015, and both were the first mainstream phones that had USB-C.

Other flagships that have had no issue with their USB-C: HTC 10, LG 5, OnePlus, and a variety of other Chinese Android sets...

Though I don't buy into it, could be their implementation of it. If it had been the cause, I think they would have figured it out.

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Waterproof=limited airflow. Edge screen, s-pen... Even less room for ventilation. A ton of features and technology packed into the thinnest possible case with quick charging. All of this seems far more likely that a charging cable type.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Waterproof=limited airflow. Edge screen, s-pen... Even less room for ventilation. A ton of features and technology packed into the thinnest possible case with quick charging. All of this seems far more likely that a charging cable type.

I thought about some of those issues like waterproofing but there haven't been issues with their other products. Could be a combination of things

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Here's something interesting;

"However, a little digging through a ChipWorks teardown reveals the use of a Dialog DA9155 charging chip, alongside the familiar MAXIM power IC. Importantly, this DA9155 does not appear to be found inside the Galaxy S7 or S7 edge. This chip is a slave charger that extends the current capabilities of a master power IC for increased charging currents up to an additional 2500mA. It’s controlled by the application processor (AP) and, interestingly, kicks in during the high-power constant current charging stage.

A read through the datasheet reveals that this chip features an AP programmable output current, switching frequency, and temperature monitor. As a slave device, programming and controlling the current and cooling is all left to the AP, which Samsung would have to program itself.

Careful consideration has to be made not to exceed the battery’s charging current, optimize the switching frequency to the inductor charging circuitry for efficient power transfer, and monitoring the temperature of the battery. Furthermore, the DA9155M doesn’t force a chip reset until TJUNC_CRIT is triggered at 140°C, so it’s up to the AP and Samsung’s programmers to monitor lower temperatures and adjust power delivery."

Obviously, we don't know if it's the cause or a contributing factor, but it's something else to know.

Source: What caused the great Galaxy Note 7 defect and recall?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Here's something interesting;

"However, a little digging through a ChipWorks teardown reveals the use of a Dialog DA9155 charging chip, alongside the familiar MAXIM power IC. Importantly, this DA9155 does not appear to be found inside the Galaxy S7 or S7 edge. This chip is a slave charger that extends the current capabilities of a master power IC for increased charging currents up to an additional 2500mA. It’s controlled by the application processor (AP) and, interestingly, kicks in during the high-power constant current charging stage.

A read through the datasheet reveals that this chip features an AP programmable output current, switching frequency, and temperature monitor. As a slave device, programming and controlling the current and cooling is all left to the AP, which Samsung would have to program itself.

Careful consideration has to be made not to exceed the battery’s charging current, optimize the switching frequency to the inductor charging circuitry for efficient power transfer, and monitoring the temperature of the battery. Furthermore, the DA9155M doesn’t force a chip reset until TJUNC_CRIT is triggered at 140°C, so it’s up to the AP and Samsung’s programmers to monitor lower temperatures and adjust power delivery."

Obviously, we don't know if it's the cause or a contributing factor, but it's something else to know.

Source: What caused the great Galaxy Note 7 defect and recall?

How does this explain units that caught fire on standby or off..... Battery fatigue?

Ten Four

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
My guess is that Samsung knows much more than it is revealing to the public, and apparently it is something too expensive to fix quickly and easily. I have wondered if USB C is a part of the problem simply because it allows more power and fast charging, resulting in the generation of a fair bit of heat on my Nexus 5x. Samsung pushed the limits of how fast the battery could be charged, and possibly USB C was more of an enabler than a cause--it allowed for faster charging than the battery can take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member