When will they flip the kill switch off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ten Four

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
Seems like a company could face some serious liability if they flipped a kill switch on a phone. Imagine what might have happened if someone caught in Hurricane Matthew flooding suddenly had their phone deactivated?

ilordvader

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy Note 7 - Dual Sim in DUBAI

By not returning the phone, what message are you sending to Samsung ?
That a device subject to recall due to a potentially dangerous defect is good enough for you ?

Papa dont preach ... I have made up mind, im keeping my Galaxy Note 7 baby lol
for sure ;)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Seems like a company could face some serious liability if they flipped a kill switch on a phone. Imagine what might have happened if someone caught in Hurricane Matthew flooding suddenly had their phone deactivated?

Phones will still call 911 regardless of no SIM card, blacklist, etc. Emergency Numbers have to go through.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Just got off with Verizon. They voided my device payment plan, returned my my down payment, and told me to not return the phone to them either at the store or shipped.

Anyway I went with a Black Onyx S7 to hold me over. I hate the excessive curve on the S7 Edge as it leads to too many accidental touches (the curve on the Note 7 was perfect...like everything else unfortunately). I'm fully invested in wireless chargers and need the SD card and Gear VR functionality as those were freebies :). Figured I can upgrade to the Note 8 next year...if not the S8 Edge sooner but only if they make the curve similar to the Note 7!
They did the same to me. I've pre ordered my next phone.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
People keep mentioning that Samsung rushed the delivery of the Note 7. The Note 5 was released on 8-21-15 and the Note 7 was released on 8-19-16, how is that rushed? Most phone carriers target the same time frame every year and that's what Samsung did, were their a bunch of reports saying that Samsung did rush it?

mscjr

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
People keep mentioning that Samsung rushed the delivery of the Note 7. The Note 5 was released on 8-21-15 and the Note 7 was released on 8-19-16, how is that rushed? Most phone carriers target the same time frame every year and that's what Samsung did, were their a bunch of reports saying that Samsung did rush it?

Are you asserting that Samsung did everything right and still botched it up? I don't know which is worse.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Are you asserting that Samsung did everything right and still botched it up? I don't know which is worse.
No, not asserting that. Just noticed that the comment has been brought up quite a few times that they rushed to get the phone to the market but it's almost exactly 1 year to the day of the release of the prior version. I was curious as of to why people thought samsung rushed the phone.

mscjr

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
No, not asserting that. Just noticed that the comment has been brought up quite a few times that they rushed to get the phone to the market but it's almost exactly 1 year to the day of the release of the prior version. I was curious as of to why people thought samsung rushed the phone.

D.J. Koh chose to accelerate the launch of a new phone due to rumors that the iPhone 7 was an iterative update - according to people close to the subject. The internet is crawling with anecdotal evidence of this (starting with Bloomberg), however I doubt Mr. Koh is going to step up publicly and claim personal responsibility.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
D.J. Koh chose to accelerate the launch of a new phone due to rumors that the iPhone 7 was an iterative update - according to people close to the subject. The internet is crawling with anecdotal evidence of this (starting with Bloomberg), however I doubt Mr. Koh is going to step up publicly and claim personal responsibility.
I doubt this even happened. Just speculation. It's the same time as last year. That's normal.

mscjr

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
I doubt this even happened. Just speculation. It's the same time as last year. That's normal.

So then it's up to the individual to discern which is more likely:
  • Samsung fast tracked production to time a pre-iphone/pixel launch?
  • (or) Samsung didn't have the requisite safeguards in place to prevent QA/QC issues in a fully incubated product?

The business decision to compress schedules for a competitive advantage seems more plausible to me than a company with mature and developed processes for QA/QC let something slip through sans external timeline pressure.

That pressure could have simply been an attempt to keep cadence with previous release cycles.

I should also add - the Note 5 was the only Note device to launch in August (like the Note7), all others where later in the year. Source

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
So then it's up to the individual to discern which is more likely:
  • Samsung fast tracked production to time a pre-iphone/pixel launch?
  • (or) Samsung didn't have the requisite safeguards in place to prevent QA/QC issues in a fully incubated product?

The business decision to compress schedules for a competitive advantage seems more plausible to me than a company with mature and developed processes for QA/QC let something slip through sans external timeline pressure.

That pressure could have simply been an attempt to keep cadence with previous release cycles.
I'm going with they didn't have th QA in place or some version of that. Think about it, they called themselves fixing it and it's STILL not fixed. They have no clue what the problem is, it seems, and some reports have said that they've been unable to reproduce the problem. So I think even if it were released 2 months from now, the same thing would have happened. I don't buy the rushed thing. Just my opinion though.

From A Buick 8

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 7 - Dual Sim in DUBAI

By not returning the phone, what message are you sending to Samsung ?
That a device subject to recall due to a potentially dangerous defect is good enough for you ?

Papa dont preach ... I have made up mind, im keeping my Galaxy Note 7 baby lol
for sure ;)

Same here i am going to squeeze every last minute i can from my Note 7.

bmitchell1876

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm going with :

I DON'T KNOW why they didn't catch the problem...

I DON'T KNOW if it's intentional. I doubt it's a huge conspiracy but people will think whatever they want

I DO KNOW that less than one half of 1 percent have been affected, therefore im not gonna bash Samsung for not catching it.

I DO KNOW they voluntarily recalled the first ones before they had to and i thought that was pretty upstanding of them. I recieved a replacement device literally less than 3 weeks from announcing the recall. I think that is pretty reasonable

I DO KNOW my Note 3 still works great and is still a premium device though it's 3 years old.

Using what I do know i have to say I'm still a huge fan of Samsung. Good luck to you guys and kudos for handling the initial recall pretty efficiently. Love love love the product while it lasted. Will DEFINITELY but again

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

Just because the Note 5 took less than a year does not mean the Note 7 was not rushed. They clearly missed something in their testing. Lithium-Ion is dangerous stuff. A new battery design needs a lot of real world tests. I agree with the others, it the problem is not that it was rushed then there are other major issues with Samsung's testing.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Just because the Note 5 took less than a year does not mean the Note 7 was not rushed. They clearly missed something in their testing. Lithium-Ion is dangerous stuff. A new battery design needs a lot of real world tests. I agree with the others, it the problem is not that it was rushed then there are other major issues with Samsung's testing.

Oh, it was most certainly rushed... Note 5 was rushed too. None of these phones get sent out 'complete'.... After all, the world is your beta! There is no better round of testing than the early adopters. I've worked at tech companies large and small and the window after a major launch is a hectic one. Now, the problem Samsung had with this go around was that it was the battery's tendency to spitzensparken was the defect that they missed. Would have been so much nicer if the major issue was a bug in the display driver or kernel instead. oh well.

And I am sure they fully tested it.... BUT.... fully tested doesn't mean properly tested... there most likely were some holes in the use cases, holes that all those customers ran into over the past two month or so.

Unfortunate....

jmnesq

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I DO KNOW that less than one half of 1 percent have been affected, therefore im not gonna bash Samsung for not catching it.

After the recall, there have been 10 instances out of what, 500,000 phones? That is not .5%, but .002% of all affected phones. If there are 1 million phones out there, you're looking at .001%. Your odds, at 1 million phones out there, are 1 out of 100,000 will catch fire.

I feel confident that my phone will be fine.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I think it is more they have poor quality control.

For me once is forgivable but,twice is inexcusable.

This situation had cost me time and money. A $25 credit is not enough.

From what I've read this is probably going to cost them a couple of billion dollars. They deserve it. They probably didn't follow proper procedure the first time around and then what they replaced wasn't any better.

Shame on Samsung.

Super Dave426

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I ordered a Note 5 off of ebay, when I get it I'll turn in my Note 7 and it will reset my upgrade so I can see what comes out in the next year that grabs me. My daughter has the S7e and it just isn't worth a 2 year upgrade, something that I don't like, and the Note 7 was/is really nice inside and out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty