On vacation with Note 7

note7s7edge

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
I am on vacation in Nepal with Note 7 (purchased in the US) and have a return flight to US in a few days. Tried contacting samsung and they told me to surrender it at the airport and told me they will issue refund cheque once I come back to the US. Still not sure about the procedure to surrender it though. Anybody has more information about these ?

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Maybe call the Airline you'll be using and see if they can give you any more details. Sorry I don't fly so can't really help...

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I got the same call and T-Mobile confirmed (that's where I got it from) that they will issue the refund/exchange once I return home. So yeah, don't risk it. Leave the phone behind. Just back up to SD card or cloud with Smart Switch and remove SD Card and SIM. Factory reset your device before surrendering it, though.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Maybe call the Airline you'll be using and see if they can give you any more details. Sorry I don't fly so can't really help...

All airlines are saying what they can/should: Note 7 won't fly. Period. Most they can offer is to keep the phone for you at the airport and let you claim it when you return, but that doesn't really apply when you're already traveling and have a one-way trip. Also, the problem is that no matter what the airline says, at least in US airports, you won't even make it past the X-Ray machines into the gates if they detect a Note 7.

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Before you leave have it shipped home to you by ground in a fire proof box and insure it . I don't know that you have to tell exactly that you're shipping a Note 7.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Before you leave have it shipped home to you by ground in a fire proof box and insure it . I don't know that you have to tell exactly that you're shipping a Note 7.

You would, and you can get fined (heavily) if you don't. As of the moment this was officially recalled it became hazardous material. Not all couriers are licensed to carry said materials and most will put a pretty premium on transport.

Contact your carrier, store, or Samsung. They're refunding/exchanging units even without you handing them in if you had to leave the phone behind at an airport. Shipping it and incurring in the extra cost, even if you might get it refunded (might not since they ARE instructing travelers to leave the phone behind).

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
You would, and you can get fined (heavily) if you don't. As of the moment this was officially recalled it became hazardous material. Not all couriers are licensed to carry said materials and most will put a pretty premium on transport.

Contact your carrier, store, or Samsung. They're refunding/exchanging units even without you handing them in if you had to leave the phone behind at an airport. Shipping it and incurring in the extra cost, even if you might get it refunded (might not since they ARE instructing travelers to leave the phone behind).
As I said hw can go to a carrier that ships ground and have it shipped home. It has been banned from airlines. Although it's up to the ground carrier to ship it or not.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
As I said hw can go to a carrier that ships ground and have it shipped home. It has been banned from airlines. Although it's up to the ground carrier to ship it or not.

Nope, it's been banned from ALL transport in standard shipping. Yes, you can ship ground, but you have to declare it and handle it as hazardous material. That requires a special license from the courier, it will add premiums to shipping, and it cannot be shipped 'express ground'. And again, WHY do that when Samsung is still refunding/exchanging the devices even if you don't hand it over? Just leave it at the airport!

badbradd2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
This happened to me in Mexico yesterday. The Mexican airport police actually came on to my flight, made me get off in front of everyone and they told me I would miss my flight due to my phone. I asked him why I couldn't just throw it away and he said they didn't want it at the airport. I finally convinced him to just let me throw it away, so they brought me a trashcan where they watched me throw it in. T-Mobile said they will erase the balance on my phone. Still this was extremely embarrassing and frustrating, and now I have no phone. This was during my honeymoon too which made it all the more annoying.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
This happened to me in Mexico yesterday. The Mexican airport police actually came on to my flight, made me get off in front of everyone and they told me I would miss my flight due to my phone. I asked him why I couldn't just throw it away and he said they didn't want it at the airport. I finally convinced him to just let me throw it away, so they brought me a trashcan where they watched me throw it in. T-Mobile said they will erase the balance on my phone. Still this was extremely embarrassing and frustrating, and now I have no phone. This was during my honeymoon too which made it all the more annoying.
Why did you have it on the flight? The ban is pretty clear about that. Also, how did they know you had it? Seems they would have not allowed it in the first place.

Congrats though getting married :)

badbradd2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile told me on the phone to present it to the Flight Attendants, so I handed it over to the flight attendants and I think they were miss-educated because they told me they spoke to the captain and he said to just power it down for the remainder of the flight. Ten minutes later, the airport security are on the plane asking me to step off. Nowhere else at the airport did it say anything about the phone that I could see and I had been out of the country all week so I wasn't too up on what the deal was with the phone at that point.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non