Is it possible to update or reinstall Smart View/Miracast on a Nore 8?

DGMAX

Jul 25, 2021
Visit site
Having issue with my Note 8 not casting the video component of "some" Amazon Prime Video movies to my TV. (See thread for detailed explanation, https://forums.androidcentral.com/s...ideo-some-prime-video-movies.html#post6963907 )

Appears to be an issue between the Note 8 and my Samsung 75" TV.

Which leads me to ask the question, "Is it possible to update or reinstall Smart View/Miracast on a Nore 8?", and if so, how the heck can it be done??

I have looked everywhere on the phone and have not been able to find anything except the "About" screen that says the latest version is installed, (version 6.0.66). Something is obviously preventing some movies from being displayed, and since the same movies will play fine from a S10+ to the same TV, it sure seems to be the Note 8 causing the issue.

HELP!!!! Please!!

DGMAX

Jul 25, 2021
Visit site
No Miracast, but I did find Smart View. Only thing that seems off with targeting Smart View or Miracast is, I have the same issue when I try to view the movies over HDMI cable, which "should" have nothing to do with the Smart View/Miracast screen mirroring app.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I was going to suggest uninstalling updates from Smart View, but it sounds like you can only uninstall it completely -- and it's no longer available in the Galaxy Store, so uninstalling it would mean losing it forever. However, as I mentioned in your other thread, it looks like Samsung replaced Smart View with SmartThings, so try installing that and see if it helps: https://screenrant.com/samsung-smart-app-view-smartthings-replacement-explained/

DGMAX

Jul 25, 2021
Visit site
Anywho, there is not a Smart View "uninstall" option, even the "Disable" option is grayed out. I did Force stop it and clear the data and cache. I'll give it a test.

DGMAX

Jul 25, 2021
Visit site
Oh yea, I just installed the "Smart Things" you mentioned, as I did not see it in my apps listed earlier. I will test it shortly, I noticed my TV was not currently online, working on that to ensure it does not have an effect.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Oh yea, I just installed the "Smart Things" you mentioned, as I did not see it in my apps listed earlier. I will test it shortly, I noticed my TV was not currently online, working on that to ensure it does not have an effect.
You can view from your pull down notification panel choose media or device

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I assume you've ensured Amazon is up to date? I recently had to update the app itself on my TV because I could view the content available to watch but nothing would play.

Also clearing cache or resetting system setting might resolve it if it's an issue with smart view itself.

DGMAX

Jul 25, 2021
Visit site
I assume you've ensured Amazon is up to date? I recently had to update the app itself on my TV because I could view the content available to watch but nothing would play.

Also clearing cache or resetting system setting might resolve it if it's an issue with smart view itself.

I just deleted and reinstalled the Prime Video app yesterday. Grabbed two fresh movies, one labeled Amazon Original, the other not. Same results, the one labeled "Original" gives black screen, the other plays fine.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It might be time to spend just a few bucks and get yourself a Chromecast -- Prime Video should cast there without any difficulty.

DGMAX

Jul 25, 2021
Visit site
Well, It appears I may be losing this battle. Still not sure if its the Note 8, or 75" TV causing the video blackout, or something strictly to do with the Prime Video app.

TV indicates it is up to date, Note 8 indicates it is up to date, Prime Video app was just reinstalled on Sunday.

Problem affects streaming of certain Prime movies as well as playing them from download in app. Again, the problem is only with "some" Amazon Prime Video movies, have not had this issue with anything in Netflix (with mirroring, HDMI cable transfer, streaming or playing from download).

Tried mirroring using Smart Things, which appears it still uses Smart View to link to the TV. Still no video on "some" Prime movies.

Tried a third party app for screen mirroring but it also linked using the embedded Smart View (which cannot be disable BTW). Still no video on "some" Prime movies.

Went back to HDMI cable transfer (with Choetech adapter) connected directly to the TV HDMI/MHL port which does not utilize Smart View for the screen casting. Still no video on "some" Prime movies.

Ran the HDMI cable signal through a HDMI port on my Denon receiver which feeds the TV. Still no video on "some" Prime movies.

Ran the HDMI cable signal through a splitter (which strips HDCP) then to the TV. Still no video on "some" Prime movies.

Ran the HDMI cable signal through the splitter (which strips HDCP) then to a port on the Denon receiver and then to the TV. Still no video on "some" Prime movies.

Almost appears like the TV is inducing the video blockage. But that does not explain why it displays the movie video content fine when sent from a S10+ phone to the same TV...

If it is the Note 8 inducing the video blockage, why does it display the same video content on a different TV just fine...

And why is it just "some" of the Prime movies that are blacked out (even tho Amazon tech says all their movies are in the same file format)...

DGMAX

Jul 25, 2021
Visit site
Just tried the HDMI cable transfer (with Choetech adapter) connected directly to a old LG 55LX9500 TV HDMI port (bought this TV some time around 2010). Still no video on "some" Prime movies.

I did not find anything about screen mirroring/casting in a search of the manual for the LG TV. Probably required an external device, which is basically what I just used to test it.

This result kinda leads me back to the Note 8 causing the video blackout. But again, the same Note 8 mirrored fine to a different Samsung TV. I hope to try the HDMI cable hookup on that particular TV tonight, to verify it still plays OK.

DGMAX

Jul 25, 2021
Visit site
And another, just tried the HDMI cable transfer (with Choetech adapter) connected directly to an HDMI input on a low level 55" (semi-) SmartTV Samsung TV purchased at Sam's Club probably 6 or 7 years ago, (not even sure about the model number). Still no video on "some" Prime movies.

This result again kinda leads me back to the Note 8 causing the video blackout.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Just tried the HDMI cable transfer (with Choetech adapter) connected directly to a old LG 55LX9500 TV HDMI port (bought this TV some time around 2010). Still no video on "some" Prime movies.

I did not find anything about screen mirroring/casting in a search of the manual for the LG TV. Probably required an external device, which is basically what I just used to test it.

This result kinda leads me back to the Note 8 causing the video blackout. But again, the same Note 8 mirrored fine to a different Samsung TV. I hope to try the HDMI cable hookup on that particular TV tonight, to verify it still plays OK.

I wonder if that other Samsung TV that works has Chromecast built into it.

I'm still thinking this is related to some kind of digital rights management or licensing issue, technologically it's not making much sense.

DGMAX

Jul 25, 2021
Visit site
I wonder if that other Samsung TV that works has Chromecast built into it.

I'll try to remember to check it (not sure I know where to look tho!), or at least get the M/N so I can check if something came preinstalled. Hopefully tonight, I plan on testing the HDMI cable dongle with the Note 8 on that TV. I know it mirrors the problem movies fine.

I'm still thinking this is related to some kind of digital rights management or licensing issue, technologically it's not making much sense.

Same here, I just haven't been able to pinpoint the source. What really causes confusion is the fact that some movies play fine, and others give a black screen on certain TV screens, using the same equipment, played from the same app, etc..., and Amazon tech claims all the movies are in the same file format...

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Sounds like it's time to pick up an S10+...at least for movie watching, and move on to enjoying your movies..... this stuff can drive you mad if you let it ;)

DGMAX

Jul 25, 2021
Visit site
Sounds like it's time to pick up an S10+...at least for movie watching, and move on to enjoying your movies..... this stuff can drive you mad if you let it ;)

LOL! Funny you should suggest that! My son has the S10+, and after we discovered it would play the movies just fine, he started talking about updating his phone and donating the S10+ to the movie "cause"!