USB-C Cable Issues

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
The Note 8 will obviously come with a USB-C charging cable, but, I like to have several additional cables handy. USB-C is unlike any other USB cable, in that you can actually damage a device if the cable isn't compatible (see this: https://androidcommunity.com/learn-why-non-compliant-usb-c-charging-can-damage-your-cables-20160908/ or just google "usb-c cable issues" for a sampling of issues).

I hate to purchase Samsung cables, as they are WAY more expensive than they should be, but, that may be the only choice, at least initially.

I'm certainly no expert on the subject - I'm just aware that there are issues. I purchased several USB-C cables for the Note 7, but suspect I won't even try them with the Note 8.

Anyone knowledgeable on the subject that may know some reliable USB-C cables?

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I mean, honestly that was the case with a lot of 3rd party micro usb cables that were out there. When I worked at Sprint, I saw how faulty cables were just not kind to certain phones...and even their batteries.

But yeah, I have several cables from my Note 7, so I'm good in needing to buy any. I have like 3 or 4 extra laying around somewhere.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
I have several cables from my Note 7, so I'm good in needing to buy any. I have like 3 or 4 extra laying around somewhere.
Same here, Because of that whole situation, I have about 4 USB-C cables from Samsung, as well as micro-USB-C adapters! And then I also have my Fast Wireless Chargers too!

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Micro USB cables are VERY different. They are just wires and connectors. The USB-C cables have circuitry in them that can cause damage to whatever device they are charging by over-charging. There actually communication between the phone and the cable - very different than older USB cables.

About a year ago, Anker, a major cable manufacturer, sold USB-C cables that fried Google Pixel devices.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I mean, honestly that was the case with a lot of 3rd party micro usb cables that were out there. When I worked at Sprint, I saw how faulty cables were just not kind to certain phones...and even their batteries.

But yeah, I have several cables from my Note 7, so I'm good in needing to buy any. I have like 3 or 4 extra laying around somewhere.
Yeah I have the 2 from both note7 I had to send back. One used from the time I had the first one and never opened the one from the 2nd note7.

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Same here, Because of that whole situation, I have about 4 USB-C cables from Samsung, as well as micro-USB-C adapters! And then I also have my Fast Wireless Chargers too!

Yup. I was just sure I was gonna have another Note of some type, so I told myself to hoard and hold strong! LoL

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Micro USB cables are VERY different. They are just wires and connectors. The USB-C cables have circuitry in them that can cause damage to whatever device they are charging by over-charging. There actually communication between the phone and the cable - very different than older USB cables.

About a year ago, Anker, a major cable manufacturer, sold USB-C cables that fried Google Pixel devices.

Yeah. I know all about that, but just because it's different doesn't mean poorly manufactured Micro-USB cables haven't had electrical effects sort of similar before. I've seen some stuff fried.

But hey. It's all irrelevant now because I think all will be right at the stage of USB-C cord usage, for the most part.

But as a fair warning to all in here who might read this: You might hate OEM products because of a mark up sometimes, but it's not worth risking your phone in certain situations. It's led several to heartache LoL

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I have the 2 from both note7 I had to send back. One used from the time I had the first one and never opened the one from the 2nd note7.

Same here Jewels - my AT&T Store wanted the Note 7 handset only! Wanted nothing to do with the box, the cables, the accessories, so I have all of the stuff from both of my Note 7s still sitting in the AT&T bag on my desk and I think I had even bought an extra cable with the first one so I should be all set when the Note 8 arrives (or the S8 Active)!!! ;)

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Same here Jewels - my AT&T Store wanted the Note 7 handset only! Wanted nothing to do with the box, the cables, the accessories, so I have all of the stuff from both of my Note 7s still sitting in the AT&T bag on my desk and I think I had even bought an extra cable with the first one so I should be all set when the Note 8 arrives (or the S8 Active)!!! ;)

Shout out to all these extra accessories we all have just ready and waiting. LoL

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site

Lol. Yeah Verizon tried to get me to send accessories back. I said ok. But when I got the shipping boxes for both I kept one of the spen for keepsake lol and everything else that came with them. Sure wasn't going to the store cause they would have taking them. So did it over phone. Like Samsung going to come after us for it since it wasn't our fault. If I'm not mistaken Samsung said they only wanted phone back anyways.

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site

I refused to hand them the box back. they got the physical phone that's it. period. so.. I have 2 sets of goodies to dig out of storage.

notefreak

Trusted Member
Mar 14, 2017
Visit site
I am not familiar with this issue. If you have an OEM cable but some other manufacturer's power bank, is this also problematic?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
There are some bad USB C accessories out there. Probably a bit less than there used to be, but definitely do a little research.

It was so bad initially that Benson Leung form Google spends most of his time testing, reviewing and speaking about USB C accessories. He is all over Amazon reviewing things too. Most questions there are "Is it Benson approved?"

There is a USB C spreadsheet he made, with links and tested ratings. It has 2 tabs at the top ( I miss that sometimes). One for cables, the other for power blocks/chargers

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty