Remember to opt out of arbitration within 30 days!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
In case you weren't aware, Samsung has an arbitration only clause ( no lawsuits, no class action). You can opt out within 30 days of purchase by following these instructions:

"You may opt out of this Agreement by providing notice to Samsung no later than 30 calendar days from the date of the first consumer purchaser’s purchase of the Product. To opt out, you must send notice by e-mail to optout@sea.samsung.com, with the subject line: “Arbitration Opt Out.” You must include in the opt-out email (a) your name and address; (b) the date on which the Product was purchased; (c) the Product model name or model number; and (d) the IMEI or MEID or Serial Number, as applicable, if you have it (the IMEI or MEID or Serial Number can be found (i) on the Product box; (ii) on the Product information screen which can be found under “Settings;” (iii) on a label on the back of the Product beneath the battery, if the battery is removable; and (iv) on the outside of the Product if the battery is not removable)."

This is an excerpt of Samsung arbitration clause:

"YOU AND SAMSUNG EACH AGREE THAT ALL DISPUTES BETWEEN YOU AND SAMSUNG RELATING IN ANY WAY TO OR ARISING IN ANY WAY FROM THE STANDARD LIMITED WARRANTY OR THE SALE, CONDITION OR PERFORMANCE OF THE PRODUCT SHALL BE RESOLVED EXCLUSIVELY THROUGH FINAL AND BINDING ARBITRATION, AND NOT BY A COURT OR JURY. ANY SUCH DISPUTE SHALL NOT BE COMBINED OR CONSOLIDATED WITH A DISPUTE INVOLVING ANY OTHER PERSON’S OR ENTITY’S PRODUCT OR CLAIM, AND SPECIFICALLY, WITHOUT LIMITATION OF THE FOREGOING, SHALL NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES PROCEED AS PART OF A CLASS ACTION. THE ARBITRATION SHALL BE CONDUCTED BEFORE A SINGLE ARBITRATOR, WHOSE AWARD MAY NOT EXCEED, IN FORM OR AMOUNT, THE RELIEF ALLOWED BY THE APPLICABLE LAW. "

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...%2520Arbitration%2520Agreement&token=ksEjRWDA

Last edited:

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Tin foil hat time.

Each to their own, but few lawsuits get thrown out over these clauses. They try to capture people are looking to sue, then decide not to and agree to arbitration because they feel they have no choice. This clause in nearly every contract, and terms of service that exists... yet the courts are full of lawsuits. Go figure.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
In case you weren't aware, Samsung has an arbitration only clause ( no lawsuits, no class action). You can opt out within 30 days of purchase by following these instructions:

"You may opt out of this Agreement by providing notice to Samsung no later than 30 calendar days from the date of the first consumer purchaser’s purchase of the Product. To opt out, you must send notice by e-mail to optout@sea.samsung.com, with the subject line: “Arbitration Opt Out.” You must include in the opt-out email (a) your name and address; (b) the date on which the Product was purchased; (c) the Product model name or model number; and (d) the IMEI or MEID or Serial Number, as applicable, if you have it (the IMEI or MEID or Serial Number can be found (i) on the Product box; (ii) on the Product information screen which can be found under “Settings;” (iii) on a label on the back of the Product beneath the battery, if the battery is removable; and (iv) on the outside of the Product if the battery is not removable)."

"YOU AND SAMSUNG EACH AGREE THAT ALL DISPUTES BETWEEN YOU AND SAMSUNG RELATING IN ANY WAY TO OR ARISING IN ANY WAY FROM THE STANDARD LIMITED WARRANTY OR THE SALE, CONDITION OR PERFORMANCE OF THE PRODUCT SHALL BE RESOLVED EXCLUSIVELY THROUGH FINAL AND BINDING ARBITRATION, AND NOT BY A COURT OR JURY. ANY SUCH DISPUTE SHALL NOT BE COMBINED OR CONSOLIDATED WITH A DISPUTE INVOLVING ANY OTHER PERSON’S OR ENTITY’S PRODUCT OR CLAIM, AND SPECIFICALLY, WITHOUT LIMITATION OF THE FOREGOING, SHALL NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES PROCEED AS PART OF A CLASS ACTION. THE ARBITRATION SHALL BE CONDUCTED BEFORE A SINGLE ARBITRATOR, WHOSE AWARD MAY NOT EXCEED, IN FORM OR AMOUNT, THE RELIEF ALLOWED BY THE APPLICABLE LAW. "

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...%2520Arbitration%2520Agreement&token=6Jxon4cV

Did not know this. Thank you for sharing.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...%2520Arbitration%2520Agreement&token=LjwBJt50

Wow really? This is what we have to do now? Samsung is getting smart with these lawsuits. This actually makes me not want to go back to Samsung. Own up to your problems and resolve them.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Wow really? This is what we have to do now? Samsung is getting smart with these lawsuits. This actually makes me not want to go back to Samsung. Own up to your problems and resolve them.

It has actually been around for a number of years,well before the Note 7. But most people don't read the terms, so I posted this as a reminder.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It is also in nearly every Terms and Conditions for nearly everything.

I couldn't find an arbitration clause in the iPhone warranty, though I didn't read through the whole thing, just a quick key word search.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't find an arbitration clause in the iPhone warranty, though I didn't read through the whole thing, just a quick key word search.

People need to stop thinking that Apple is somehow different than anyone else. They are a regular tech company, with regular lawyers. They make a slightly different product, but they are in no way an angel or devil. They are exactly the same as any other multi-national publicly traded company.

What to Consider Before You Get the iPhone 6 | Consumer Fraud Forum

Apple.. insisting on trying to make it's self look superior, when it isn't, calls it a mediation clause. Can't say I read them all... but Samsung's is no more evil than anyone else's.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
People need to stop thinking that Apple is somehow different than anyone else. They are a regular tech company, with regular lawyers. They make a slightly different product, but they are in no way an angel or devil. They are exactly the same as any other multi-national publicly traded company.

What to Consider Before You Get the iPhone 6 | Consumer Fraud Forum

Apple.. insisting on trying to make it's self look superior, when it isn't, calls it a mediation clause. Can't say I read them all... but Samsung's is no more evil than anyone else's.

I read that article...it is referring to the arbitration clause on VERIZON contract. He was complaining about not being able to get unlimited data while upgrading to the iPhone 6 at subsidized pricing.

Teamjones

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
For some reason, the first thing that popped in my head after reading was "This is all the info someone needs to steal your phones info or spoof your phone".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty