benchmarks from tomshardware making note 8 seem ancient.. your thoughts?

pnico

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys
I would imagine many of you are pretty hardcore users.. I saw this article on tomshardware and wanted to get insight on it. Seems completely bias..
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone...m_source=notification#comment-rsp_en_20212183

articles sometimes seem to be written by or paid for by apple..

I have a tough time believing that the note 8 is that inferior to the i phone 8. In comparing my girlfriends i phone 8 to my n8, I like mine a **** ton more..

thanks

pnico

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering about this because I feel apple is behind samsung in terms of innovation and bringing things to the market place. Also, I think if im not mistaken, android has a larger marketshare than apple and continues to grow.
So is the possible, slightly faster cpu the ONLY thing apple has to offer that "may" be a bit nicer? A BIT..nicer.. when doing things that youre average person would not even notice the difference in? not as if it takes 5 minutes..a meres 3 second difference is that noticeable? just thinking outloud

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Benchmark tests are worthless. I've used this phone for 20 days now, so I will go off my own experience over what some test shows in a controlled environment. There's just too many ways to mess with the results of a benchmark test by manufacturers to really prove anything about real world usage. If you're happy with your Note 8, you don't need some random test to validate you.

fitcherama

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Benchmark tests are worthless. I've used this phone for 20 days now, so I will go off my own experience over what some test shows in a controlled environment. There's just too many ways to mess with the results of a benchmark test by manufacturers to really prove anything about real world usage. If you're happy with your Note 8, you don't need some random test to validate you.
There was one comparison video I watched where a
guy opens a ton of apps on both devices and then clicks on them again. The Note 8 kept more apps open in the background than the iPhone. I would argue that in real world scenarios you'd be pushed to notice a difference in speed between the two devices. Benchmark tests don't seem to reflect real world usage to be useful at all. Just number crunching.

ronin_cse

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I always find it funny how posters on tech web site always seem to fall back to the "oh this article was obviously paid for" when they encounter something they don't like.

Truth is Apple is just THAT good at chip design. They have paid billions of dollars over the last decade in order to build up a really good chip design department through R&D money and poaching the top talent throughout the fairly small industry. They also have an advantage in that they can design their chips to work with specific hardware and software.

Also Apple has been shown to not specifically target benchmarks to boost their numbers, which makes sense since they don't even talk about any kind of numbers or tech details related to their chips themselves. Why would they spend the money to do something like that when they don't even care?

All that being said although benchmarks are a good indicator of speed and such they don't really predict the general day to day experience of using a phone. Obviously the new iPhones will be super smooth just like every other iPhone when it is new, but then again my Note 8 is also super smooth. Unless someone is doing something like exporting 4k video, which the benchmarks show goes WAY faster with the new Apple chip, most people won't really notice a difference between an a11 and a Snapdragon 835

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
There was one comparison video I watched where a
guy opens a ton of apps on both devices and then clicks on them again. The Note 8 kept more apps open in the background than the iPhone. I would argue that in real world scenarios you'd be pushed to notice a difference in speed between the two devices. Benchmark tests don't seem to reflect real world usage to be useful at all. Just number crunching.
If it's the same video I saw, it was actually comparing 4 G RAM of the S8 vs the 6 G RAM of the Note 8 and how that compared performance wise.

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
Apple makes blistering fast processors, no doubt about it. But they don't really take advantage of that speed in their OS. The built in transitions make every modern iPhone operate the same. The 8+ and 7+ operate at the same speed to the naked eye.

ronin_cse

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
If it's the same video I saw, it was actually comparing 4 G RAM of the S8 vs the 6 G RAM of the Note 8 and how that compared performance wise.

No there are a few videos out there comparing a Note 8 to an iPhone 8 as far as multitasking goes. The Note 8 has double the RAM of the iPhone 8 so yeah it keeps stuff in memory longer. Thing is I dunno how much this really affects anyone either as most people don't care if they can have like 6 apps running in memory with two of them games.

dlgus

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

Agreed! Android would have to fall off BIG TIME, a la blackberry (still miss that phone), to get me to even CONSIDER Apple.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Screw benchmarks it's how well the device performs for me. The note 8 is the fastest device for me to date hands down.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Apple really is that good, they've been praised for years for making good chips. They usually had more powerful cores than what Qualcomm or Samsung would make, but had fewer cores so the multicore scores were similar, now they ramped it up to a 6 core design and it shows.

The vast majority of things people do on their phones you will never see or experience the difference because we've hit the point where most devices are good enough.

ronin_cse

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I would like to point out that the 835 actually does still beat the a11 in 3d Mark's newest benchmark. I actually just did this on my own devices and my Note 8 even beats my semi-older iPad Pro.

I dunno why Tom's uses the Icestorm benchmark as that is the older one and is probably getting bottle necked by the CPU and not the GPU which would explain the a11 still wiping the floor with the 835 here.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't pay attention to Benchmarks, they don't seem to translate to real life.

The fact that the Exynos8895 in my Note8 can play & capture 4K@120FPS video and the 6GB RAM puts both the Galaxy S8+ and iPhone 8 Plus Multitasking to absolute shame, tells mey phone can handle some very heavy usage in terms of maintaining performance and keeping apps in memory. :)
Nope, there is another with an iPhone 8 Plus being obliterated by the Note8, check it out:
https://youtu.be/2G669OgskM0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa