Unable to stop music from auto-starting when switching to BT

Mark Kaplan

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
Does anyone have any tips on disabling this? The issue I'm having is when I switch to BT on my Galaxy S8 Plus in my car, the music app starts playing on its own and I have to manually go into the app to stop it. I cannot find any settings to get this to stop. I've uninstalled all music apps except "Music". Any ideas?

Mark Kaplan

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
I'm not certain but I think that is a "feature" of the Samsung Music player.

PowerAmp, besides being a great music player, allows you to enable/disable auto-resume: Settings -> Headset/Bluetooth -> Resume on Bluetooth.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maxmpz.audioplayer&hl=en

I did try PowerAmp and liked it however the OS is overriding that setting so that doesnt work either. I'm using Drivetime when driving and that may be the culprit but there is no setting in Drivetime to prevent this. I've emailed their tech support and am awaiting a response.

bassjo

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I did try PowerAmp and liked it however the OS is overriding that setting so that doesnt work either. I'm using Drivetime when driving and that may be the culprit but there is no setting in Drivetime to prevent this. I've emailed their tech support and am awaiting a response.
While I can't say specifically how to disable this feature I can say that this is not OS specific, it's app specific.

bassjo

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Actually here you go...

9774e5106638115f10c30e155feccc6c.jpg
b87be05847240296a60bd80d2de245c8.jpg

Toxa

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site

That option is to have music controls on the lock screen when the phone is off - it has nothing to do with BT automatically playing music when connected... I have the same issue, and it's really annoying when getting in my car, and connect the phone to watch videos, instead music starts playing automatically

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Same thing happen to me when I connect to my car on Bluetooth. I use Google music. I don't believe this is app specific. It also happens on YouTube. If I was watching YouTube and stop it but keep it in the background, the moment the phone connect to the car, YouTube will start playing where I stopped it. This seems to be an Android thing not an app thing.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Same thing happen to me when I connect to my car on Bluetooth. I use Google music. I don't believe this is app specific. It also happens on YouTube. If I was watching YouTube and stop it but keep it in the background, the moment the phone connect to the car, YouTube will start playing where I stopped it. This seems to be an Android thing not an app thing.

Could try turning the connection off in the Bluetooth settingsView attachment 272125View attachment 272126
That will stop playing media through Bluetooth car. OP is asking how to stop it from playing automatically. It is a bit annoying sometimes. It happens to me all the time.

bassjo

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
That's odd, I have Pandora, Rocket Player, Audible, Google Play Music, Pocket Casts and even Spotify and none of them automatically start playing when I'm connected to either my truck Bluetooth or my Jaybird X3's. I'll do some more research on this...

Mark Kaplan

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
That option is to have music controls on the lock screen when the phone is off - it has nothing to do with BT automatically playing music when connected... I have the same issue, and it's really annoying when getting in my car, and connect the phone to watch videos, instead music starts playing automatically

Yeah, it didn't work.

Mark Kaplan

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
That's odd, I have Pandora, Rocket Player, Audible, Google Play Music, Pocket Casts and even Spotify and none of them automatically start playing when I'm connected to either my truck Bluetooth or my Jaybird X3's. I'll do some more research on this...

I'm driving a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. So annoying. Every time I switch to BT from radio it starts playing and I have to manually stop it.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
From what I have read here and elsewhere, there are only two ways to fix this issue, one for sure and the other only a maybe:

• Use a music player, such as PowerAmp, that specifically allows you to disable auto-resume and make sure it is set as the default media player.

- or -

• Be sure to stop your media player and close the Bluetooth connection prior to turning off your car. Some people claim this will do the trick.

Mark Kaplan

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
From what I have read here and elsewhere, there are only two ways to fix this issue, one for sure and the other only a maybe:

• Use a music player, such as PowerAmp, that specifically allows you to disable auto-resume and make sure it is set as the default media player.

- or -

• Be sure to stop your media player and close the Bluetooth connection prior to turning off your car. Some people claim this will do the trick.

I'm going to try the first option again and ensure its set as default. I dont have a problem with #2 . Music stops when i disconnect BT and does not restart. It's only when I switch to BT in the car that it auto-starts.

Mark Kaplan

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2017
Visit site

- or -

THis did not work for me

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't have the Note 8, but have had similar issues on my V20. If I have a media app (Pandora, YouTube, Pod Kicker, OEM music app) open and paused, it'll automatically start as soon as my truck or headset Bluetooth devices connect.

Like the OP, the music app will even go so far as to launch itself and play when Bluetooth is connected. The only way I can prevent this is to close it, swipe it away from the recent apps screen, go into the app manager to force close it AND clear the cache (or maybe app data, I never remember which because I rarely use it). Then it stays dead until the next time I manually open it, which causes the auto-launching to start up again.

It's only my music app that will actually launch itself and definitely an Android thing it seems. When I asked about this in the V20 forums, no one had an answer there either.

Mark Kaplan

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
I finally heard back from Poweramp support. This did resolve my issue. Once I disabled the Respond To Buttons option, the issue went away.

"Please note, that if both options are disabled and Poweramp still resumes on connection, this means device ROM (or most probably - some other app), sends MEDIA_PLAY command, which is the same as headset PLAY button press. This is controlled by Respond To Buttons option."

Jeff Fite

Aug 14, 2018
Visit site
I'm not sure if you found your answer, but I went into settings then applications, then I went into Samsung music and changed the settings there. It seems to have worked.