Thinking of making the plunge from iPhone

mach1man

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Ok so I'm looking at jumping ship from Apple to Samsung. I have the iPhone X and I'm not impressed with it at all. I haven't been with an Android phone since the note 5, so coming back is gonna be a little hard. I have a few questions for those that have made the jump.

1. How did you deal with switch back to sms instead of imessage, Most of my friends and family have iPhones.

2. How well do the emoji's switch over when sending

3. How are the updates from Samsung? Apple is always on the updates to fix or improve issues

4. Can someone help a brother out lol

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I have had every Note since the Note 2 and loved them all. I had used the iPhone 7 Plus for the last year since the Note 7 debacle and picked up the 8 Plus a month or so ago. Most of my family (100% of immediate family), friends and clients use iPhones. Being on the same OS with them has been seamless. While android has apps that do the same thing as iMessage or FaceTime, good luck getting iOS users to use them. People can argue all they want about the great apps on android and I won’t disagree at all. They don’t mean a thing unless those you communicate with use them too.

I say all that and will tell you that I think the Note 8 is the best phone out right now. I can’t recommend it enough. I love mine, however, I find myself going back to the 8 Plus because it makes my work and personal life easier. The Note 8 has way more productivity tools, but first and foremost is communication. For me, being on iOS with everyone makes that easier.

If someone else in a similar situation can chime in I would love to hear how they deal with it. I think it really comes down to priorities and your individual situation.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I have the note 8 and iPhone x. I really enjoy the x and the feel and size of it. Not sure I like it enough to keep it though. My unlocked note is still on the August security so that is a little annoying. For most people imessage and face seem to be the biggest hurdle to fully going Android. There are always alternatives but you have to get the other people to download additional apps. Duo and allo are really good and have solid performance for me.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
You'll be the green bubble guy, lol. Text messages are just text messages. The difference comes in mms, where iMessage is capable of sending high res images and videos and standard mms is not, they're reduced in quality. There are many ways to deal with this though. The more frequent issue is group messaging, if your in group messages as an iPhone user and then switch, the iPhone users will need to start a new group message. If they continue to use the existing thread after you switch, you may not get the message.

Emojis work fine for me.

The update process for android is not a streamlined process like Apple. If your looking for or need that your not going to get it unless you go with a pixel. But the software works fine out of the box for me, no issues.

I use two devices daily, the Note 8 and iPhone 7+. I find them very comparable in many ways. Although the note is hands down a more capable device in many respects.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I have had every Note since the Note 2 and loved them all. I had used the iPhone 7 Plus for the last year since the Note 7 debacle and picked up the 8 Plus a month or so ago. Most of my family (100% of immediate family), friends and clients use iPhones. Being on the same OS with them has been seamless. While android has apps that do the same thing as iMessage or FaceTime, good luck getting iOS users to use them. People can argue all they want about the great apps on android and I won’t disagree at all. They don’t mean a thing unless those you communicate with use them too.

I say all that and will tell you that I think the Note 8 is the best phone out right now. I can’t recommend it enough. I love mine, however, I find myself going back to the 8 Plus because it makes my work and personal life easier. The Note 8 has way more productivity tools, but first and foremost is communication. For me, being on iOS with everyone makes that easier.

If someone else in a similar situation can chime in I would love to hear how they deal with it. I think it really comes down to priorities and your individual situation.

This is a really good write up and perspective. Most of my family and Co workers are on iOS and you are right. Good luck getting them to download additional apps for messaging or video calls and more trouble to get them to actually use them. While I'm more of an android person there are better quality apps on iOS overall.

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I️ am in the same boat. I️ had always been an Android user but got the iPhone 5 after some fitness tools I️ wanted only had iOS support. After a few years of iOS I️ got itchy for a change, so I️ got the note 7 and loved it, and was going to stay with it, but did find that I️ was unable to get group texts anymore. Most of my friends have iPhones, so every group text I️ would never get. Plus several apps I️ didn’t like as much (banking, fidelity) since they made me sign in vs Touch ID. Once the note 7 issues were happening I️ went back on iOS and found many of the things I️ found frustrating, we’re better (some apps were better, no longer missing group texts making plans).

I️ am on a 7 plus at the moment, and am so wanting to get a note 8, but agree with the above poster that once you go into the walled garden it’s very hard to leave due to iMessage and inability to communicate. Losing access to those group messages, it’s not a minor thing. And good luck trying to get everyone to adopt another chat method, it’s just not going to happen. Especially with older family members who barely understand their phones as it is.

I️ am bored of iOS, but just not sure I️ want to deal with that headache.

terobaje

Tero Baje
Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Ok so I'm looking at jumping ship from Apple to Samsung. I have the iPhone X and I'm not impressed with it at all. I haven't been with an Android phone since the note 5, so coming back is gonna be a little hard. I have a few questions for those that have made the jump.

1. How did you deal with switch back to sms instead of imessage, Most of my friends and family have iPhones.

2. How well do the emoji's switch over when sending

3. How are the updates from Samsung? Apple is always on the updates to fix or improve issues

4. Can someone help a brother out lol

Note 8 is my second time with Android. I used a Note 4 for about 9 or so months. Otherwise, I have been an iPhone guy. While Note 4 was not a good Android experience for me, I have been very happy with Note 8. I haven't found anything to complain about yet except for lack of updates. My phone is still on August security patch.

If you are going to make this switch, be sure to turn off iMessage and Facetime at least a couple of days before you switch SIM card. Also deregister your phone from iMessage thru Apple's support page and have all group messages deleted from your friends/family's phones. The only thing I miss about iMessage is high quality pictures/videos sharing. SMS does not have the same bandwidth and when you share videos, it will be delivered with a very crappy quality.

Most places will let you return devices within 14 days. I say give it a try for 14 days and return if you don't like it, but, give it a proper use for 14 days.

anon(9947084)

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
My wife's iPhone 7 has been really screwed up since the last update. I remember having some bad updates way back on the iPhone 5.
iOS is smooth, but when they screw it up, it sucks bad.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Thing is with going to a 'non Nexus' Android, you're going to be behind updates unless it's an AndroidOne device or running nearly stock Android like Sony or Motorola.Samsung, Huawei, Vivo, LG and Oppo (the biggest manufacturers) have heavily skinned Android and tend to fall behind on updates. Samsung from experience tends to be good until about 3-4mos before a major update, where they lag behind, then after they release the major OS upgrade, they're good again.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello! As I have never switched from iOS to Android (I've never had an iPhone!), I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Regular SMS is still pretty fluid (of course, it depends upon which messaging app you're using - some experiences are better than others), though admittedly, nothing is as good as iMessage - that's a really amazing messaging app.

There are a bunch of third party messaging apps you can download from the Google Play Store in case you are not satisfied with the stock messaging app that comes with your Android phone. Personally, I use Textra pro version: you can customize everything from bubble colours to app icon colours; and I actually downloaded iOS emojis from Textra so, though they don't transfer over when you send them to other platform devices, it'd still give you a similar experience to when you were using your iPhone.

With regards to updates, Samsung will get updates; but I think those types of things also depend on your carrier and how your carrier pushes OTA updates. Also, if you get a newer Samsung phone (ie, the S8), it's likely that it will get updates longer than if you were to buy, say, the Samsung S6 (as it's been out for a few years).

Though I never made the iOS-Android jump, I did make the BlackBerry-Android jumps a few years ago. For sure, there is a bit of a traditional period with platform jumping; but don't worry! You'll be used to things in a few days. Learn as you go and feel free to ask us any questions you need to! Also, YouTube videos are your friend.

If you need anything else, feel free to ask!

mach1man

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for the support and helpful advice!! I definitely have a hard choice coming up. Getting friends to delete group chats will be next to impossible do to the amount of teasing I will endure lol. I'm really big into taking pictures and editing photos on the go, so sending them to friend via sms and having it degrade would not be good. may have to stick it out with apple lol

mach1man

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
This right here is were I'm at!! I love the S-pen, the bigger full screen and the finger print scanner. If apple and samsung could just come together on a messaging platform LOL. Thank you for your help

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
If most of your friends and family use iMessage and group message alot you will definitely miss out in that department. I laughed at iMessage when it first came out but now realize that it was genius on Apple's part. It is probably the thing that keeps more people tied to an iPhone than anything else.

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
If most of your friends and family use iMessage and group message alot you will definitely miss out in that department. I laughed at iMessage when it first came out but now realize that it was genius on Apple's part. It is probably the thing that keeps more people tied to an iPhone than anything else.

Agree, iMessage does lock you in once you enter the gates. I have been so close to buying a note 8 on Swappa, but that one issue keeps me from pulling the trigger. I'm on too many iPhone only group discussions with friends, family and coworkers.

If you are Android, and want to swap between Android and iOS, I'd make sure never to go live on imessage. It's got to be intentional on apples part

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
Agree, iMessage does lock you in once you enter the gates. I have been so close to buying a note 8 on Swappa, but that one issue keeps me from pulling the trigger. I'm on too many iPhone only group discussions with friends, family and coworkers.

If you are Android, and want to swap between Android and iOS, I'd make sure never to go live on imessage. It's got to be intentional on apples part
And that's the reason they will never release iMessage for Android.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
And that's the reason they will never release iMessage for Android.

That’s right. Because the second they do the flood of people switching will be great. I switch back and forth constantly. Just returned my X and went back to the 8 plus. Want to switch back to the Note 8. I have two weeks to make the decision as my wife is due for a new phone and I could give her my 8 plus and get the Note 8 for me. Decisions decisions.

w7sg

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Everyone in my family, daughters, grand daughter, etc, are all Apple. I made the 1st jump to the Note 3. I needed a working GPS, so I returned it. Then got the Note 7. Super phone, actually had 2 of them :)

You'll be going from non-customize'able to an all out flexible platform that is super fast.