Verizon updates

anon(9947084)

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
I have held off on the Verizon updates from a couple weeks ago.
Has anyone noticed any issues on their Note 8 since those updates.
My Note 8 has been flawless since I bought it in early October and I don't want that to change.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
copy of my post on another thread

do you keep wifi on? the second security update has an issue that Google knows about, and that has been posted about, but that they are not confirming. what happens is that if you keep wifi on all the time it drains the battery. it has been suggested to keep wifi off as much as you can until a fix is sent through. given that it's three months to get the first two, it will probably be a while.

my battery has taken a bit hit too.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
No issues for me. Battery life is excellent. Others may be having issues, but I have not had any since updating or prior to updating.

It’s the same with almost any update on any OS or phone. Some people will have issues, most will not. You just see more people posting issues than saying everything is good. If I were having an issue I’d be looking for answers too.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
No issues for me. Battery life is excellent. Others may be having issues, but I have not had any since updating or prior to updating.

It’s the same with almost any update on any OS or phone. Some people will have issues, most will not. You just see more people posting issues than saying everything is good. If I were having an issue I’d be looking for answers too.

glad that the wifi issue that is known with the last update hasn't affected you, but might also be, like me, how and where you use your battery and how full it is when the drain starts.

I thought I was fine too until I did some testing yesterday, and I was in shock how quickly the battery went down and how far, with very little actual use. VERY different from the other times I was away from my office. left wifi on, which is normal for me, and the decrease was instant and fast.

I know how to treat and use my batteries and have never had anything like this after an update. Google knows about the drain issue with the last update.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
glad that the wifi issue that is known with the last update hasn't affected you, but might also be, like me, how and where you use your battery and how full it is when the drain starts.

I thought I was fine too until I did some testing yesterday, and I was in shock how quickly the battery went down and how far, with very little actual use. VERY different from the other times I was away from my office. left wifi on, which is normal for me, and the decrease was instant and fast.

I know how to treat and use my batteries and have never had anything like this after an update. Google knows about the drain issue with the last update.

I agree 100%. I certainly wasn’t trying to say issues don’t exist. I guess I’m fortunate to have not had any issues this time around. My point was just that when I do have an issue, I come to forums and post about it to see if it’s just me and hopefully get some help. If everything is good, I am less likely to say anything. Although, I suppose I did this time. Lol. Good luck. Hopefully a fix will be coming shortly since it is a known issue and obviously not isolated to a few people.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I agree 100%. I certainly wasn’t trying to say issues don’t exist. I guess I’m fortunate to have not had any issues this time around. My point was just that when I do have an issue, I come to forums and post about it to see if it’s just me and hopefully get some help. If everything is good, I am less likely to say anything. Although, I suppose I did this time. Lol. Good luck. Hopefully a fix will be coming shortly since it is a known issue and obviously not isolated to a few people.

exactly. and all very true

if I hadn't tested after reading about the issue, I never would have known. I use a wireless charger on my home office desk so the battery is always full, if you will. after reading about the issue here on AC, I decided to do a test yesterday on wifi only while off of the charger. it was not a happy thing. my battery life was so much better before the update. hope they recognize the issue and fix it quickly. I had amazing signal and amazing battery, and now both are on par with my N4 after taking Oct/Nov. sec. updates. :(

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I have held off on the Verizon updates from a couple weeks ago.
Has anyone noticed any issues on their Note 8 since those updates.
My Note 8 has been flawless since I bought it in early October and I don't want that to change.

No issues here. Maybe a little better battery standby time for me.

KruseLudsMobile

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I started using IFTTT to turn my WiFi on when entering a specific area and off when leaving those same areas. A hassle to set up but that's only a one-time thing.

anon(9947084)

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site

do you keep wifi on? the second security update has an issue that Google knows about, and that has been posted about, but that they are not confirming. what happens is that if you keep wifi on all the time it drains the battery. it has been suggested to keep wifi off as much as you can until a fix is sent through. given that it's three months to get the first two, it will probably be a while.

Thanks for the heads up. I use WiFi a lot because I live in a valley and cell service is horrible where I live.
I work from home a lot too.
I will investigate this further.

andytiedye

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site

No update for me then. The battery drains pretty fast already and I need wifi at home (weak or no cell signal here).

Do you have a link to the other post?

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up. I use WiFi a lot because I live in a valley and cell service is horrible where I live.
I work from home a lot too.
I will investigate this further.

you're welcome.

my situation is the same. rural-ish and in a valley. merits keeping an eye on. it's the kind of thing that could surprise you in a bad way if not aware of the potential.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
No update for me then. The battery drains pretty fast already and I need wifi at home (weak or no cell signal here).

Do you have a link to the other post?

no. I wish I did. I also haven't seen the guy back around lately. he is trustworthy afaik, but did not post an actual link. said he saw it on a couple of forums but did not specify. as was said to me it's something to do with the wifi security fix itself, not the whole update. it causes the drain. I haven't done a google search to confirm it, but I immediately saw a difference in my testing. ymmv

I know I'm not turning my wifi off and will just have to keep an eye on it when not on my charger.

andytiedye

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
you're welcome.

my situation is the same. rural-ish and in a valley. merits keeping an eye on. it's the kind of thing that could surprise you in a bad way if not aware of the potential.
Kind of a double whammy for us fringe area people.
We already use more battery on the cellular side trying to connect to a tower at max power.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Kind of a double whammy for us fringe area people.
We already use more battery on the cellular side trying to connect to a tower at max power.

just used mine extensively for a relatively short time. not doing a lot, just cruising looking at walls and applying them. and it dropped 20%. NEVER had that on any note and I never took updates either. lesson learned.