Iris Scanner do you use It? Like it?

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I use it all the time. Most of the time I don't even see me eyes because I'm already looking at my phone when it is invoked. Super duper fast.

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I use it as backup to when I can't use the FPS (at work when my hands are all messed up)
I find it works 99% of the time and no issues at all during low - zero light, but sometimes struggles in full sunlight.

magichoward

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Just changed to face from iris I too was feeling a bit strange after using iris many people complain of headaches using iris scan... Specially when it's uses so many times a day

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Just changed to face from iris I too was feeling a bit strange after using iris many people complain of headaches using iris scan... Specially when it's uses so many times a day
I like face recognition for convenience but I'm not sure how secure it is. Then again, the quality of photo that one would need to get into your phone is such that I'm not important enough for someone to bother. Lol

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I like face recognition for convenience but I'm not sure how secure it is. Then again, the quality of photo that one would need to get into your phone is such that I'm not important enough for someone to bother. Lol

It’s not so much your phone is stolen because of the individual’s importance. It’s the phone they are after to sell it or keep it as their own without having to shell out almost $1k. If you lost it, someone could find it and make it there own or sell it as well.

bigredgonzo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I use it for almost exclusively. I preordered the N8 and set it up as soon as I got it. I need readers, so I may or may not have glasses on and it works every time. I have only had it fail 2 times, one in very bright sunlight and the other in very low light. Works like a charm as far as I am concerned.

As a side note, I have had a bunch of people attempt to unlock the phone and it hasn't unlocked for anyone but me. I don't think security is a big issue.

BigRedGonzo

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I too use it with Samsung Pay and I love it. Works flawlessly and quickly. Much better than using the fingerprint scanner as I did with my old Note 5.

With Samsung Pay, I always use my Pin number. While I'm in the checkout, while waiting for the cashier to get my stuff checked and rung up, I enter the first 3 of the 4 digits of my Pin. Then, when she tells me she is ready for me to pay, I enter the last digit and I am immediately good to go, without holding up the line, which happens if my iris scan or finger print aren't read on the first try.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Curious on who uses the Iris Scanner?

* do you use It?

* Like it?

* any issues using It?

For me. I love it. I use it for Samsung pay. Works every time for at the stores.
I use it more often than the fingerprint sensor.
I wear glasses and I never have issues of it reading my eyes.
I really thought it was a gimmick when I got my Note 8, but it actually works for me and I am surprised at how fast it unlocks for me.

I will say when I set up my iris scanner I kept moving around with my glasses on (I guess I seen too many face ID set up videos)..and kept the phone at the farthest distance when it was reading my eyes. Not sure if that helps make it better. I had my coworker do that and his iris scanner works a lot better now he says.

Anyway. Was just curious who uses the Iris Scanner.

I never use it because I have small squinty eyes and the irises fail to line up 5/10 times. FPS is a no go too because of it’s placement. When the Note 8 was my daily driver I mainly relied on my Gear S3 and Smart Unlock but as others have said, that tends to leave it unlocked at unwanted times as well.

Your comments about how you set it up reminds me of the days we would try to pair our Bluetooth headsets as far away from the phone as possible because we thought that helped extend the useable distance of them. That was back when BT headsets were barely making it to market.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately I can't even REGISTER my iris' successfully. I've tried with glasses, without glasses, great lighting, not so great lighting. It simply will not register them. I think I managed to register them once early on and then could NEVER get the phone to unlock or initiate whatever I was trying to do with my iris' so I had to wipe out the registration and since then haven't been able to successfully register. I use face unlock for everyday stuff, and FPS or PIN for more secure programs/needs. I also have SmartLock set up but I'm not entirely sure it's working as it should because I have my home as a location but I still have to look at the screen for faceunlock to activate.

Oh, and I have blue eyes. I really think there could be something to lighter colored eyes not working as well.

Derren Woods

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately I can't even REGISTER my iris' successfully. I've tried with glasses, without glasses, great lighting, not so great lighting. It simply will not register them. I think I managed to register them once early on and then could NEVER get the phone to unlock or initiate whatever I was trying to do with my iris' so I had to wipe out the registration and since then haven't been able to successfully register. I use face unlock for everyday stuff, and FPS or PIN for more secure programs/needs. I also have SmartLock set up but I'm not entirely sure it's working as it should because I have my home as a location but I still have to look at the screen for faceunlock to activate.

Oh, and I have blue eyes. I really think there could be something to lighter colored eyes not working as well.
Yeah I have blue eyes to as I said earlier I can't get it to work

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Use it occasionally, mainly at work when I'm wearing gloves. It works flawlessly everytime it use it, even though I wear glasses. Only time I have issues is when I'm outside and it's sunny. Sometimes when I pull my phone out of my pocket I hit the home button and the phone is unlocked as I pull it up to look at it. I have to say Samsung has definitely improved it since the Note 7.

mundo472

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I use it with glasses and have few problems with it. the Smart Lock helps as I have it set for most of my peripherals but the location settings often stop working. I have it set to lock after a long time so I'm not unlocking it every time I pick it up.

originalstarlite

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
I like it and use it, but its definitely not 100%. I have it and FPS both turned on and usually simultaneously try to do both and which ever hits first unlocks. But recently I turned on the smart lock with my Gear S3, which is great because when my watch is with me then the phone just stays unlocked. You do have to be careful with that though, because if they are just laying next to either the phone is unlocked. I wish the Gear S3 had to be unlocked and on my wrist for it to work. So when I travel, I'm turning that off.

Remove the Trusted Device setting from the S3 and the phone will stay locked next to the watch. I do this with my Sport.

Last edited by a moderator: