I have not cracked a phone screen in well over 10 years. Wasn't very dramatic. Dropped it from waist level. Hit my plastic trackball which was on the couch. Hit was on the edge. Phone is still functional, but I will get it fixed. TPU case, but no screen protector.

I have insurance through Square Trade($99 deductible), and they were great when I called in. But I have a question for those that have had their N8 glass replaced. How do you make sure it is being replaced with a genuine Samsung screen? Or does it matter? I love the feel of the screen, so am worried about getting something aftermarket that is not as silky smooth.

Also, what is the best way to back up the phone onto a computer (not the cloud). Just want to be safe in case the phone gets reset/replaced.
    06-29-2018 06:42 AM
    Sorry that you cracked your device.
    I don't know how you can be sure of what parts they use but I'm not sure there is after market glass either. I would call and ask them what they use. They might also just replace your phone with a refurbished unit but check with them. As far as backup, it depends on whether you're trying to back up the entire phone or just save certain files.
    06-29-2018 07:28 AM
    I know how to do backups of files/folders. Easy to just drag and drop those. Worried more about all my system and app settings getting lost. I guess I'll try SmartSwitch.
    06-29-2018 08:01 AM
    Use smart switch to backup to pc
    06-29-2018 08:34 AM
    Hello there jejb, I see you already got some help, I also have a Note 8 and feel bad yours had an accident.
    You can definitely back up to a PC by just drag and drop.
    However, I recommend you also use the cloud from your Samsung account and Google account.
    Using Smart Switch is also good.
    Good luck and let us know how it works out for you. That way other people will be better inform in case they have a similar accident.
    06-29-2018 12:17 PM
    The place I'll be using to get the screen replaced assures me they only use genuine Samsung screens on Samsung products. They have it on order now, so hopefully I'll get it repaired late this coming week. Take about an hour apparently.

SmartSwitch seemed to do a good job of backing up my settings. Hopefully, I will not have to use it after the repair.
    07-01-2018 06:01 AM
    The place I'll be using to get the screen replaced assures me they only use genuine Samsung screens on Samsung products. They have it on order now, so hopefully I'll get it repaired late this coming week. Take about an hour apparently.

SmartSwitch seemed to do a good job of backing up my settings. Hopefully, I will not have to use it after the repair.
    Great....let us know how you make out
    07-01-2018 12:07 PM
    The repair was done by a CPR franchise in Wausau, WI. Looks great. Been using it for about 2 days since the repair with no issues. No data, apps, etc were lost or corrupted. I'm happy with the repair, and the warranty deductible from Square Trade ($99).
    j_hansen likes this.
    07-11-2018 07:26 AM
    07-11-2018 07:54 AM
    99 isn't to bad really
    07-11-2018 09:13 AM
    Depending on the cost of insurance, it's about the same if you replace without insurance?

https://www.ubreakifix.com/samsung-r...cd-replacement

99 isn't to bad really
    07-11-2018 12:42 PM
    Insurance was $79 for 2 years, during a promotion. So still money ahead compared to your link.

The guy who repaired it said they charge over $400 for the repair, for those with no insurance, FWIW.
    07-11-2018 02:18 PM