How long have you all had your Note 8?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello -- I am thinking about getting a note 8, I am currently using a BB Priv. i have never had a Samsung before. I am getting tired of having to replace my android phones every 2 years or so because they get very laggy, battery issues, etc. I am a stay-at-home mom, so not a heavy user, (mainly text, email, maps, instagram). My husband's employer provideds upgraded iphones every 2 years and he started with the 5 -- all are still working great and we have passed them down to our kids with no issues whatsoever. I love android and I really don't want to become an i-user. I know that most people like to upgrade every few years but I don't. Just wish that androids weren't so disposable...

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Well, considering that Apple admitted to slowing down older devices, it's a bit hard to believe your older iPhones have no issues, but in my opinion all phones, just like PCs, get old and slow as they get older and get newer operating systems.

These devices are somewhat disposable, seems like they are designed to last about 2 years (the old 2 year upgrade schedule), before the battery doesn't hold a charge as long.

Perhaps in your case there are a few power settings you need to tweak like brightness or services you don't use regularly such as bluetooth or NFC.

I've had my Note 8 since it became available, but unlike others I don't notice battery performance nearly as much because I always charge my device as I please, whether it needs it or not.

vnmous1

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Been here since day 1.

Had a chance to move to a Note 9 at no charge and didn't do it. Why? Because the 8 is outstanding.

I am an early adopter and never keep a phone for more than 18 mos. (short attention span, I suppose)

I often participate in beta testing of firmware, software, but I am by no means tech "savvy". Just inquisitive and perhaps slightly more patient than most.

In any case, the Note 8 is amazing. The 10 is going to have to be mind boggling for me to foot the bill to upgrade in 2019.

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
Had note 8 since day 1. no issues and still as good as it was on day 1. But I definitely recommend note 9 because of battery size. I get around 4 to 5 hours of SOT, if that is good for you then note 8 is awesome.

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I was also in early, getting the Note 8 from Samsung as part of the Note 7 buyers deal. I've been very happy with the phone, and have no intention of getting anything newer. Battery life remains outstanding and no lag that I've been able to detect. A very solid platform that I'd bet you could be happy with for many years. My wife had a Note 3 for 4 years.

However, if I were in the market right now, I'd also get the Note 9. Why not get the latest tech? That way, it would be more likely to be supported longer, allowing you to keep it longer. Likely some good deals to be had on them for BF, too.

OJsakila

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Been here since day 1.

Had a chance to move to a Note 9 at no charge and didn't do it. Why? Because the 8 is outstanding.

I am an early adopter .

Seems a little ironic to me... An early adopter keeping a two year old phone?? Do you even proofread at all before you type this stuff?

vnmous1

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Seems a little ironic to me... An early adopter keeping a two year old phone?? Do you even proofread at all before you type this stuff?
It's one of 3 phones that I use in my personal and business days. (And, "ironically" the oldest at this point).

Two different carriers. Two different OS.

Presume much?

imlegend84

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Had mine since launch. In between had my screen replaced due to burnout. During that replacement service, Samsung gave me a brand new battery and new charging port. Besides that, no other issues.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Fourteen months ago, best phone I've ever used. Six hours SOT. Great reception, first class display. Not one thought about heading to upgrade to Note 9, so similar, save for battery... I'll upgrade to the Note 10... maybe.

FeinP1118

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Purchased mine a few months after launch. Still impressed. (No worries re battery, but partly because I have a honking big Mophie on it. 🤓)

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Have the Note 8 since lauch and it is perfect still, you won't regret getting one.
I would wait for black Friday deals though and if budget can stretch then maybe get the Note 9 instead

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Just butting in here but what do you see as ironic about an early adopter sticking with a 1 year old phone?

Also had my Note 8 since launch and I also had the opportunity to get the Note 9 with little to nothing down. Sticking with the 8. Great device.

con5150

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine over a year, average to heavy user , no issues with it , didn't see any need moving to the 9 tbh

Mamaluka

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Got my Note8 about a year ago. Got the Key2 3 months ago on my T-Mobile account. Now, If the Key3 works on Verizon, I think the Note8 will be my last Note for a while. I'd have to give a VZW Key3 a decent 6 month RIP. If not a year.

AnotherInternetGuy

Sep 13, 2017
Visit site
Bought mine on release day and it's still solid and looks great.

My only complaint is that the battery is mediocre. Not bad, but not great, which stands out because everything else about the phone is outstanding. (I can't comment on gaming since I don't)

As far as I know Note 9 improves this single aspect significantly and can be considered "perfect", so if the difference in price is small, and you insist on buying this now, I'd recommend the 9.

Other points of note: While it's an excellent feature to have, I wouldn't advise basing your decision on the S-Pen unless you have a specific need for it/ are a graphic artist etc. You'll only use it rarely after the novelty runs out otherwise.

And I never really advise buying tech at the end of it's cycle/ when a new generation of products. If you buy a new phone every year / year and a half, you'll spend most of you're time with it looking at the newer generation with envy. And I think the Galaxy s10 & Note10 willl be the biggest generation jump for while, so you may be better off waiting three months and buying an s10 on it's release.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Bought mine on release day at my AT&T Store - heavy user loved it so much, I managed to get passed the Note 9 Release without getting the bug. However, Samsung had a TV Ad in the last half of October offering up to $600.00 off with Trade-in - the offer ended November 3rd. My Note 8 is back at Samsung and I now have a 512GB Note 9 (11/2)... couldn't pass on that deal!!! Will NEVER have a bad thing to say about the Note 8 however! Great phone...