screen scratches easy

Danny Long2

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Three weeks in and this thing has been treated as gentle as my newborn daughter yet it has scratches on the screen!

Have had this before with the odd phone seem to scratch so easy

Any tips can light scratches be buffed out some crap online about baking soda!

berfles

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Gorilla Glass is nowhere near as scratch resistant as everyone says. I have no idea how the tests on JerryRigEverything shows them all scratching at a level 6 on the Mohs' scale of hardness. My 128GB that I'm sending back had a very fine line type scratch that was only visible in certain light, and the second I took that thing out of the box and removed the plastic I put on a glass screen protector. So unless it came scratched from the factory, something somehow happened just from me quickly wiping it off after I removed the protector.

jsk0703

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
My note 8 had micro scratches from rubbing against credit cards in my wallet case. So far the N9 hasn't had the same problem. Maybe it's just a matter of time or just good luck.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
You just don't notice them. I guarantee I would see the fine lines I've referring to. They may not be deep scratches but they're there.
You're mistaken. When I sold my Note8 after a year, there were no scratches on the screen. I examined it carefully under bright LED light. (There were some tiny scratches on the back glass that were invisible except upon close inspection.) The buyer checked too and agreed the screen was in mint condition.

My Note9 so far has no scratches, front or back, after 25 days. (No case, no screen protector, just careful handling.)

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Same no scratches here and run it naked. I don't baby it but I do keep it by itself in my pocket.

My note 8 got scratches on the frame but that was because I kept it with a naked iPhone X in my pocket and that stupid camera hump has pretty sharp edges.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
My note 8 had micro scratches from rubbing against credit cards in my wallet case. So far the N9 hasn't had the same problem. Maybe it's just a matter of time or just good luck.
There do seem to be far fewer complaints about scratches and cracks than were about the last several Note and S phone models within a few weeks of the release date

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
You're mistaken. When I sold my Note8 after a year, there were no scratches on the screen. I examined it carefully under bright LED light. (There were some tiny scratches on the back glass that were invisible except upon close inspection.) The buyer checked too and agreed the screen was in mint condition.

My Note9 so far has no scratches, front or back, after 25 days. (No case, no screen protector, just careful handling.)

I know people do it, but it just blows my mind that anyone would buy an expensive device like this and NOT put a case and screen protector on it immediately. With the N9, I had to wait like 4 or 5 days to get to the city and have Best Buy apply a Zagg screen protector. I kept the packaging film on it till I could get the screen protector. In a perfect world, it I'd love to carry my phone with no protection but the world isn't perfect and stuff happens :eek:

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I know people do it, but it just blows my mind that anyone would buy an expensive device like this and NOT put a case and screen protector on it immediately.
Does it blow your mind that people buy $1k phones at all, considering that even with a case and screen protector, phones can and do get damaged?

The fact is that the risk levels differ significantly from person to person, as does tolerance for risk. Some people have already dropped their Note9 repeatedly; others will go for a year without dropping it. Some can afford repairs, others not. So it's hardly mind-boggling that different people arrive at different reasonable decisions about what fits their own circumstances.

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I find that sometimes using a case can attract scratches to the rear especially if you work in dusty environments, dust gets in between case and back and voila.
But I've had the Note 8 and now the 9 for nearly a month with no screen protection and no marks to either screen and I'm always looking believe me!

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I used note 8 naked for around 6 to 7 months had zero scratches..note 9 though I am using a screen guard...in note 8 I had 1 time free screen replacement so I had no fear...but note 9 i don't have that

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Why dont you get a screen protector?

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. Such an expensive phone and if you aren't convinced by tempered glass screen protectors you could just apply a film protector. I did a Spigen neo flex which is awesome. They're cheap, completely inconspicuous, hardly affect touch sensitivity, (none at all if you increase touch sensitivity) and come in a 2 pack so if you scratch one, you have another on hand immediately.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
All you need is a single grain of sand to scratch the screen and for a phone that is intended to also be used by something else other than your finger - I'm putting a screen protector. :) Personal preference of course - not everyone feels the need for one. It puts my mind at ease.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Like some others here I chose also go keep the in-transit plastic films on the Note 9 until I had the WhiteStone Dome Glass Screen Protector and dbrand Black Camo Back Skin and a Spigen Ultra Hybrid Matt Black case to fit onto it.

Rhinoshield Crashguard Bumper is on its way to me.

I typically resell my phones so I like to try and keep them in good condition and as I work in a Warehouse adequate protection is a must from the get go.