Device Maintenance results, unlocked vs carrier device

rhsortho

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
i just noticed on my Note9 (my 1st unlocked device), when running device maintenance the highest i get is 90. my T-mobile branded S8+ and S9+ will report 100. all 3 devices are set up the same. I see there is a "Device Security-deactivated option on the Note 9 that's not on the Tmobile devices. It prompts me to turn on/activate McAffee. is that the only way to get 100?? just curious. doe anyone use that "anti-malware"??

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The unlocked 90% "limit" is still actually going to 100% as the T-Mobile model is. The unlocked is simply saying to get to that extra 10% now, you should install McAfee. I would never install that worthless app and I just put up with the 90% limit as it's really still doing the same thing as the T-Mobile phone is.

In fact, I rarely even use device maintenance on any Samsung phone I've owned.

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Wow, you're right. That 90% max must be a recent change. I have an unlocked Note 9 on Tmo, and could swear it used to go to the full 100% but now it doesn't.

I'm not interested in McAfee. I use Webroot on my PC's and Android phones. Webroot won my loyalty years ago when it protected my PC's from a virus infection where those with other antivirus software was affected. plus it has/had a smaller footprint than competing antivirus apps like Norton's.

Hopefully Samsung removes this single reliance on McAfee and begin recognizing other antivirus apps like Webroot.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I also have an unlocked Note9 on TMo, no McAfee app installed, and my Device Maintenance goes to 100%. However, when I look under Device Maintenance | Device Security, it does say "anti-malware powered by McAfee".

rhsortho

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
thanks for all the replies! i too could've swore it used got to 100 when i first set it up. i rarely ever click on device maintenance but when i did i was puzzled when only scoring 90. it just seemed odd that Samsung is pushing McAffee, when it's not there on the carrier devices. i don't plan on activating it:)

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Same issue existed in the S9 series as well. It's only the non-carrier unlocked models that appear to be affected. My T-Mobile S9+ did not have this issue. It's annoying from an OCD standpoint, but a non-issue in reality.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Unlocked Note 8 did the same. At first it would show 100% then after a period of time (don’t recall how long) it went to a max displayed reading of 90% unless you activated the built in security app, which I didn’t. As stated above carrier models, at least my Att version Note 9, does not do that. It really doesn’t affect anything functionally except to bother you that is doesn’t show 100% anymore.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I guess I must've activated the built-in app at some point. I don't see any option to deactivate it. It hasn't caused any noticeable lag or battery drain, though.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Unlocked Note 8 did the same. At first it would show 100% then after a period of time (don’t recall how long) it went to a max displayed reading of 90% unless you activated the built in security app, which I didn’t. As stated above carrier models, at least my Att version Note 9, does not do that. It really doesn’t affect anything functionally except to bother you that is doesn’t show 100% anymore.

This started happening as far back as the unlocked S7/S7Edge. My unlocked S7 Edge did this as well. There's no way to stop this either.