Transition lag and stutter....14 days to decide

note1note9

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
This is happening to all Note 9s. Just like its happened for other Samsung devices prior. Some people just dont see it or cant see it - and thats great (but doesnt mean its not there). While others are just super sensitive to it. I'm one whos sensitive to it. I've got a Note 9. Mine does the same thing you describe. Using a different launcher "fixes" the issue. But thats sort of a lame workaround. I actually like the Experience launcher.

But don't let others fool you into thinking you can swap yours out for one that doesnt.

I wouldn't say all. But I would agree with what you said that some can't see it while others can as some can be more particular and sensitive to certain issues.

Velenoso

Nov 11, 2018
Visit site
I don't know why you're even asking us, if your device isn't living up to your expectations return it while you can, Samsung isn't losing any sleep over your issue, you are.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Food for thought: Might this just be Samsung's launcher? Maybe changing to Nova, or some other good third party launcher, and see if the issue persists?

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
No two people will have identical setups. Even using SDXC unless it is an out of box vanilla setup maybe. And stock settings.

Samsung Experience on 8.1 is not what it use to be. Pie 9 will most certainly improve the experience.

Synthetic benchmarks exist not to reflect real world but an idea of the potential compared to other devices, not other Notes.

My carrier includes their own items, Samsung has theirs, Edge side panel and others.

And I wish Sam would not pre-install 3rd party like Facebook. A real performance dud.

Yet I'm not in favor of taking a sledge hammer either to nuke and rip or disable yet I do with Chrome, Fb, Bixby and turn off as much as possible. But I'm not in favor of Pixel or plain vanilla system.

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Hello I am wondering if this is normal behavior of my new note , I get like a stuttering animation when I go from YouTube to the home screen the animation is a bit choppy returning, I also get it a few times when returning to home leaving gallery , tune in etc...I don't feel as if it's anything other than animation lag as the phone feels fast in every other operation otherwise. I did a full factory reset , didn't sign in to Samsung and set up as a new phone no back up still the same. I have the ATT 512 GB version black. I would exchange it but for what I use it for i am getting easy 9 hour screen time kinda don't want to risk that with sacrificing one thing to fix another. Also I have all the updates current for software and security. I have asked a few people in the store and they said that they have never heard of animation lag etc. The display demo unit was stolen so that wasn't a option to test it. Oh and it does it with or without power saving on.

Hopefully they didn't sneak in a recertified device on to you. Have the IMEI checked out by Samsung or carrier.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
All I'm seeing is a claim by a random guy in the internet who has been asked at least twice to post a video for us to see what he is talking about and he responds by saying he showed it to another guy and says it's happening to them to. But everybody else here is saying they don't notice it.
Basically, it's a case of "Pics or didn't happen." Or more correctly, "Vids or didn't happen."
If you say that it becomes obvious once pointed out, please post a video and show us exactly what you mean so those here who didn't notice it initially can. Other than that, I'll just chalk this to some unlucky guy got a problematic device for his money.

Nov 20, 2018
Visit site
If it's not happening to you than why would you care? Your device is butter smooth you don't have the lag be happy not hostile. I didn't post a video because in using Google I find a ton of people that notice or have the same problem. Not sure why you are so mad if you read my post all I notice is animation stutter but the phone is super fast in all other ways. Talking with someone from XDA I have figured out why it's lags returning to the home screen. If I remove the app from the folder on the home screen and gave no folders the stutter stops , also if I am using my own photo as a background it stutters returning to home ....I changed my background to the black screensaver from the Samsung store and removed the folders from homescreen and the lag is gone completely, even if I try to recreate the stutter now it won't. It was driving me crazy to the point I opened a second line Wednesday night to try to see if a new one had the lag, as soon as I set it up and downloaded all the updates the phone was stuttering returning home. Oh and I am female not a guy from the internet. Try to be a bit happier in life it's a holiday.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
If it's not happening to you than why would you care? Your device is butter smooth you don't have the lag be happy not hostile. I didn't post a video because in using Google I find a ton of people that notice or have the same problem. Not sure why you are so mad if you read my post all I notice is animation stutter but the phone is super fast in all other ways. Talking with someone from XDA I have figured out why it's lags returning to the home screen. If I remove the app from the folder on the home screen and gave no folders the stutter stops , also if I am using my own photo as a background it stutters returning to home ....I changed my background to the black screensaver from the Samsung store and removed the folders from homescreen and the lag is gone completely, even if I try to recreate the stutter now it won't. It was driving me crazy to the point I opened a second line Wednesday night to try to see if a new one had the lag, as soon as I set it up and downloaded all the updates the phone was stuttering returning home. Oh and I am female not a guy from the internet. Try to be a bit happier in life it's a holiday.

I assume you're replying to me. And no I wasn't angry. All I'm saying is that despite repeated requests, you haven't addressed why you haven't and just responded in a tangential way. We can't help you diagnose the issue unless we actually see what's happening, other than throw you random suggestions at whatever of the multitude of possibilities it could be.
Maybe you should be the one to lighten up and not be too stressed about such a little thing on your phone?

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts. Thanks.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I always go home because I leave said apps open to access them faster than a full closeout.
Except that it doesn't work that way. If there's space in RAM, the app stays in RAM even if you close it. Running it again just starts it from the beginning. The only reason to leave an app open is because you need to run it again in the state in which you're leaving it (like leaving a password app open after you copy the login, so you can paste the login into the app that needs it, then go back to the password app and copy the password).

But using the Home button instead of the Back button is what's causing the stuttering you're asking about.

(In a browser, there's almost always a faster way to close it - like Exit in the menu, or "Close all tabs" - which will close the browser. But if you insist on hitting Home, the phone will stutter. You asked how to stop it, I told you. If you don't want the answer, that';s up to you.)

Nov 20, 2018
Visit site
It's the folders on my homescreen that was causing the lag not the lack of using the back button. I removed the folders and the lag is not present. When I place the apps in the folders it does it instantly again. Its lag in the animations , I also tried leaving the folders and using nova as my launcher and there is no lag ..I don't believe it was over use of ram since it disappears when the folders are removed it's just chop in the closing folder animation. I can have 15 apps open it never cripples or lags the device in any slight way.

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Just wanted to put this out there. My note 9 and my darling wife's are running excellent.

Had a hiccup with Google Assistant, my son came home and worked it out with no full reset and we're good here.
hope you get it fixed though.

Da** I'm full. I hate when I eat too much, then lay around not doing squat.
Peace everybody and Happy Holidays

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Interesting, I use pictures from the internet or screen shots or pictures I have taken. I don't have any lag when I return home. If I do it's so little that I don't realize it's happening. I also don't use folders on my home screen. I do use them in the apps edge panel.

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
I've always for that slight stuttering also, never happened on my note 8.
It mainly occurs when pressing home button to bail out of an app or sometimes even opening and closing folders on my home screen. Didn't really bother me that much to look into to it further.

rmanzo77

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I do not have one hand operation or home button turned on it's mostly returning to the home screen from a app , I was able to find a display working model at Target and I went from YouTube etc and returned to home screen and it chops and lags about once every 5 returns. Noticing me messing with the display the Target mobile guy asked me what I was looking into and I mentioned it and he showed me on his personal Note 9 it does it also.

Not sure if you still have this phone but what you're experiencing is a bad app and possibly corrupted files. It happens. Best option is to go to developer options,decrease animations and then wipe partition cache, reboot. That will fix issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699