Should I get Samsung galaxy note 9 or wait for Galaxy s10

shoaib shah

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi

As much as I love having my OnePlus 6 at the moment. I would like to come back to Samsung.

I am a in a predicament.

I have had many Samsung phones in past from Galaxy note 2 to Galaxy s7 edge.

I would love to have a Note 9 but there might be a big design shake up for the S10 which could be bring in many cool features.

I love going back to the stylus pen because I know how much I used it on the note 2.

The reason why I chose to go away away from Samsung was their cost, lack of timely updates and degradation of battery life over time. I have heard with Note 9 owners that finally this has been sorted and battery drain is not as so much a problem over time even with updates.

What are your thoughts on this and especially experience with the Note 9.

Thanks in advance for your replies

😁

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Well the regular S10 won't have the pen anyway, I'm hoping the rumoured 4th version 6.7 inch,12gb ram of it will be the new note

guitar_65riff

Jun 20, 2018
Visit site
Just depends how much you want the pen. I have the Note 9. My partner has the Note 8
There isn't a massive difference between them. I loved the S7 but missed being able to use the pen after the note 7 fiasco.
Want the pen? Go with the Note 9. You won't be disappointed

shoaib shah

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Well the regular S10 won't have the pen anyway, I'm hoping the rumoured 4th version 6.7 inch,12gb ram of it will be the new note

If that's the case and rumours are true then it would be a great buy.

I just hope they don't kill off the note series with 3 devices expected to be launched early next year.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The reason why I chose to go away away from Samsung was their cost, lack of timely updates and degradation of battery life over time. I have heard with Note 9 owners that finally this has been sorted and battery drain is not as so much a problem over time even with updates.

At $1,200 for the 512 GB version I wouldn't say cost has been sorted, but that's the market at work.

Battery degradation over time is largely up to the user. For staters, it is still new enough that I don't think anyone can claim degradation has been "solved." Second, someone that constantly runs full 100-0% charge cycles, games, runs a lot of GPS, etc. is going to degrade a battery much quicker than someone that maintains the 40-80% guideline and doesn't put much demand on the phone in general. So I wouldn't even consider that in a phone buying decision.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
If the next Note is 6.7" then count me out.

I've always hated the iPhone Plus series because I felt they were just ridiculously large and I like the Note 8 was narrowing which made a difference for me but it already towers over the Plus and the Max by about 4mm. Any bigger would just be too much.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Get a Note 8 for a few hundred to tie you over until the S10 Note comes out.

About 90% of a Note 9 at a fraction of the cost. Damn I think the Note 8 would still hold it's own against some of this years best like the OnePlus 6T at half the cost.

Boy, that's one thing about Android phones... they may cost as much as an iPhone going over $1000-1200 bucks but man the phones cannot hold value at all compared to iPhones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4slczPMnNSU

shoaib shah

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Get a Note 8 for a few hundred to tie you over until the S10 Note comes out.

About 90% of a Note 9 at a fraction of the cost. Damn I think the Note 8 would still hold it's own against some of this years best like the OnePlus 6T at half the cost.

Boy, that's one thing about Android phones... they may cost as much as an iPhone going over $1000-1200 bucks but man the phones cannot hold value at all compared to iPhones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4slczPMnNSU

They only thing that puts me off getting the Note 8 is the battery life. It is supposed to be a bit meh for what a note phone is meant to be about. All power and productivity.

note1note9

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
At $1,200 for the 512 GB version I wouldn't say cost has been sorted, but that's the market at work.

Battery degradation over time is largely up to the user. For staters, it is still new enough that I don't think anyone can claim degradation has been "solved." Second, someone that constantly runs full 100-0% charge cycles, games, runs a lot of GPS, etc. is going to degrade a battery much quicker than someone that maintains the 40-80% guideline and doesn't put much demand on the phone in general. So I wouldn't even consider that in a phone buying decision.

Agreed. Every user is different, some are heavy users and aren't scared to "abuse" their phones while others are light users. Hence take what different people say with a pinch of salt.

shoaib shah

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Agreed. Every user is different, some are heavy users and aren't scared to "abuse" their phones while others are light users. Hence take what different people say with a pinch of salt.

From your experience note1note9

I have used only the note 2 in the past of the galaxy series phones that I have owned.

What is your experience the transition from note 2 onto note 9. I know it would be a major step. I have read reviews and seen videos but what is the real user experience like.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Eh. Can't speak for anyone else because ymmv but I haven't had any complaints on battery on a day to day basis getting me through the day easily. The video above said difference was about 45 minutes.

That's one thing Samsung needs to step up next year... get off their butts on QC 2.0 Charging smh. A quick 10-20 minute top off for 50% charge would probably eliminate most peoples concerns on battery.

I mean for a flagship phone it's crazy it's about 2+ years behind in terms of charging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxlWYzrZweM

They only thing that puts me off getting the Note 8 is the battery life. It is supposed to be a bit meh for what a note phone is meant to be about. All power and productivity.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I would wait to see what the S10 has to offer. If you don't like what it has then the N9 will probably drop in price.

shoaib shah

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Eh. Can't speak for anyone else because ymmv but I haven't had any complaints on battery on a day to day basis getting me through the day easily. The video above said difference was about 45 minutes.

That's one thing Samsung needs to step up next year... get off their butts on QC 2.0 Charging smh. A quick 10-20 minute top off for 50% charge would probably eliminate most peoples concerns on battery.

I mean for a flagship phone it's crazy it's about 2+ years behind in terms of charging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxlWYzrZweM

That's another thing that puts you off Samsung which as you said they need to step up a game.

The Dash charging on my OnePlus 6 is blazingly fast gets to 60% in 30 mins and full in just over an hour.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
That's another thing that puts you off Samsung which as you said they need to step up a game.

The Dash charging on my OnePlus 6 is blazingly fast gets to 60% in 30 mins and full in just over an hour.

Yeah I agree but now to best is Huawei 40w fast charger....I am buying mate 20 pro....will try the charger with my note 9 to see if it u charge faster

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
2 months from now will you ask yourself "Should I buy the S10 or wait for the Galaxy Note 10" ?! We always expect upcoming phones to be better than the current models. If you really like using the S Pen buy the Note 9.

OJsakila

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I would get the note 9 and when the note 10 comes out you could easily sell it or trade it in with a couple bucks and get the note 10 which will undoubtedly TRUMP the s10

Russel Shouse

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
in my opinion, the idea of waiting for the note10 is kind of pointless. there is always going to be next years model, and the idea that it will be a big step up.

i have had every note except the first one. for a couple of years i would bounce around to diff phones but always come back to the note line.
the note 9 is a great phone (for me) and to be honest my second fav from the note line would be the note4. to me the note 4 was the note that would really trump the galaxy S line. after that, when the note 5 came out it was basically an s series w a pen.
that's not as much of a complaint i guess because samsung raised the s series up more than they dumbed down the note line (for the most part).

coming from the note 2 there is going to be a huge difference, most of it positive. for me i can still care less about the edged screens.

the note 9, for me has awesome battery life, plenty of memory, and i don't worry about the updates much.. ive never had a phone stop working for lack of monthly updates.

my opinion is if you want to go back to a note, i would get the 9 because it is an upgrade over the 8.. but waiting for the 10is going to be a never ending cycle of of "what if".

As far as charing, it charges fast both wired and wireless.. i really dont see what some people complain about, other than its not the "newest". I am concerned more about battery life, which id fine n the note9 and performance.

my opinion, yours may vary..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89