Note 4 to Note Edge?

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone made this change? I'm looking for objective opinions. If you've done this - are you happy?

I wanted the Edge badly, but am with Verizon. On December 26th, I went into my Verizon store and asked them for a release date for the Edge and they couldn't (wouldn't) tell me. So, I went for the Note 4 - and I really love the phone (came from a Note 2).

But I have until the 15th of this month that I could exchange for the Edge.

My boyfriend's line is due for an update in April, and he has no interest in upgrading - he's not a tech fan, he's perfectly happy with his phone as long as it works - and has a physical keyboard - which no new ones have, and his has.

ANYWAY - I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and exchange for $100 more, or wait and use his upgrade this time next year when there may be an Edge 2.

Is there anyone who's made the switch who thinks it was the best change? Is there anyone who wishes they'd stayed with the Note 4?

I'm also concerned about protection (screensavers and cases) for the Edge. I obsess when I see micro scratches, so I always put a screen protectors on my phones before I carry them out of the store.

Chris Beaudoin

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone made this change? I'm looking for objective opinions. If you've done this - are you happy?

I wanted the Edge badly, but am with Verizon. On December 26th, I went into my Verizon store and asked them for a release date for the Edge and they couldn't (wouldn't) tell me. So, I went for the Note 4 - and I really love the phone (came from a Note 2).

My boyfriend's line is due for an update in April, and he has no interest in upgrading - he's not a tech fan, he's perfectly happy with his phone as long as it works - and has a physical keyboard - which no new ones have, and his has.

ANYWAY - I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and exchange for $100 more, or wait and use his upgrade this time next year when there may be an Edge 2.

Is there anyone who's made the switch who thinks it was the best change? Is there anyone who wishes they'd stayed with the Note 4?

I'm also concerned about protection (screensavers and cases) for the Edge. I obsess when I see micro scratches, so I always put a screen protectors on my phones before I carry them out of the store.

I made the switch and could not be happier. The multitasking is insane. The list of extra functionality is insane.

You have to use it to really experience the differences.

--- Sent from my fantastic Note Edge--- "IT'S NOTE A GIMMICK, THEY JUST HATE US CAUSE THEY AIN'T US!!!!!!"✒✒

shastrich2005

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I made the switch and I LOVE LOVE the Edge. The Note 4 is amazing in itself but I'm still glad I exchanged it for the Edge. It's Def worth the extra $100.

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Was in Verizon today and they got their first edge. Couldn't talk the salesguy into letting me put the battery in. Looks and feels pretty good. Maybe I will wait to pull the trigger on the note 4. Still not sure I will really use the extra piece of screen real estate.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I have both phones because I purchased the Note 4 under the assumption the Note Edge would not be released in the states.

However, once the Edge was released I immediately purchased one and have honestly not picked up my Note 4 since.

The ability to multi task on the Edge is, in my opinion, superior than that of the Note 4. I am so impressed by the fact Samsung gave the Edge the same high end specs and functionality as the Note 4. So given that fact, no one looses anything by deciding to purchase the Edge, but the buyer gains added functionality.

Posted via the Android Central App

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I came from a crappy S3 so this is my first Note series of phones. I still don't know how to do half the stuff I need to know in regards to the SPen. But the added functionality is quite insane. Honestly, I can't ever see myself going to a phone that doesn't have the Edge screen.

Posted Via Galaxy Note Edge. Yea, the phone is perfect...

Statastic

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I made the switch and the Edge is an amazing phone, I love it, but Im returning it because I dont do enough multi tasking in my everyday activities to warrant the extra $100 purchase. That and the lack of protection as well. I absolutely hate the plastic feel of the screen protectors and love tempered glass and there are no cases that protect that curved screen from a drop. Its a great phone and more than worth it if you are planning on using it for all the functionality the phone can do. Nothing bad I can say about it, it just isn't for me at this time.

stronggeek

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Fingerprint recognition is more accuarte on the Note Edge, the clock, weather & alarm @ night & more

Yep, I made the switch and I couldn't be happier! An unexpected perk for me is that the fingerprint scanner is much more accurate on my Verizon Note Edge than it is on my Verizon Note 4. There's an enhanced option to scan 10 more times directly after you scan the first 10 on each of the 3 fingerprints. This feature is missing on the Verizon Note 4. Also it's easier to do a much more natural scan with the thumb at an angle, almost sideways/pointing left and have it read my print (for me anyway) . Anyway it's strange as it doesn't feel like it's just a software enhancement alone.

I also like the way the, time, next alarm and date are visible at the times you set and at the same time are unobtrusive.

Battery has been extremely good for me so far and for the first time since I've been using android phones I didn't rush to install all my widgets right away as so much info is readily available on the edge... when and if I need it. Now with that said I don't have everything completely set up though I do have most of the major players working. Wifi, Bluetooth, Gmail, weather, gps and so on. Screen's on auto which is still too bright. I'll fix that later.

I'm still getting used to it and the novelty may eventually wear off, but this is a machine that will get much use! At the moment the only thing I miss about the Note 4 is the power button placement. It was perfect when I needed it. And although I understand the logic with placing the power button on the top with the Edge it's still an uncomfortable reach and I have fairly large hands. My saving grace with this "issue" is that I rarely used the power button on the Note 4 anyway. I use an app that most are familiar with called Gravity Screen (turns your screen off in your pocket or when you set it down and back on when you pick it up).

The additional width of the Edge doesn't bother me and I've been using my phone for work and play all day (okay for the last 2 days) and not once have I inadvertently tapped an icon on the edge panel. The palm rejection works incredibly well. The edge of the phone doesn't hurt, but you may make more calls then I do so your mileage may vary.

And as for the extra 100.00 for the edge... well I've blown far more in a single hand of black jack in Vegas so that was definitely not a deal breaker for me. Good luck as they're both great phones! Hope this helps you with your decision. I just wanted something a little different. My Note 4 is already listed on Craigslist. :)

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Thank everyone for their feedback! I made the switch. A bit annoyed with the screen protector at the top edge of these doesn't want to stay down, but got that put on and a black TPU case from Verizon.

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
I have the Note 4 as well. The Edge battery runs out quite a bit faster for me even though it is only about 220mAh smaller. I purchased the Samsung Edge case that is not SView. I also ordered the Extra battery and charger from Samsung. Last night I ordered the wireless charging back from Expansys UK. I do like the more subtle notifications and how it works during a call compared to the Note 4. My main concern is like most others. The Samsung case doesn't protect the Edge part of the display and there might not ever be a tempered glass screen protector available for this device. That might be the only reason I keep the Note 4. I will update my experience after I have used it for another week.

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I have the Note 4 as well. The Edge battery runs out quite a bit faster for me even though it is only about 220mAh smaller. I purchased the Samsung Edge case that is not SView. I also ordered the Extra battery and charger from Samsung. Last night I ordered the wireless charging back from Expansys UK. I do like the more subtle notifications and how it works during a call compared to the Note 4. My main concern is like most others. The Samsung case doesn't protect the Edge part of the display and there might not ever be a tempered glass screen protector available for this device. That might be the only reason I keep the Note 4. I will update my experience after I have used it for another week.

There's a post somewhere here that someone posted from a tempered glass company releasing one for the Edge at the end of this month.

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
I am sure that someone will. I just decided to send my Edge back. I just finished comparing the display with my Note 4 and the Note 4 is much better. I get white backgrounds on the Note 4 but the Edge is a dull grey. Display is important to me and it is much crisper with a white background as opposed to grey. Others might get a different display but I don't have time to keep buying Edge's to find one that has a white display. Obviously due to the curved glass they had to use a different display in the Edge. Other than this issue I love the Edge.

laspahr

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site

I switched today, and it was a great idea, so long as you aren't on the edge program (I was and had a little bit of an issue switching) but I recommend it :) just make sure you have a Case picked out, vzw doesn't have many in store

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I switched today, and it was a great idea, so long as you aren't on the edge program (I was and had a little bit of an issue switching) but I recommend it :) just make sure you have a Case picked out, vzw doesn't have many in store

Nope, not on the Edge program, no interest in ever switching to Edge. I'm on contract - my only issue today was that I was set to get on the Loyalty Data Plan on my next billing cycle, and it was considered a "pending order" and apparently, when there's a pending order, it won't allow the system to activate a different phone. So they had to remove that from my plan - and I have to call the loyalty department again on Monday to get them to re-set that up (8 gigs of data for the 4 gig price). But yes, I pulled the trigger today as well. :)

laspahr

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Just found a great case option at ZenusCase.net - Premium leather case company. They have a folio case that protects the Edge glass but leaves room to touch the bar. Check them out. They come in Black and White. If I was keeping mine I would get one of these cases.

Dang, both cases are nice!! I like the textile like texture, but also I like the rubber/leather on the other... But the textile is cheaper :/ maybe I'll look into it more tomorrow lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty