Best Note Pro accesory

madaudio

May 29, 2014
Visit site
In terms of value for money, storage wise, you are better off with a 1 TB portable hard drive and an on-the-go cable.

Grimgrak

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Thats the wrong direction. I can keychain this along with multiple 64g cards and have it on me all the time. Portable hard drive hell I may as well lug around a second tablet.

Grimgrak

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Yep i'm looking for 3.0 ONLY. If i'm going to spend money may as well be on new tech.
Video usage mostly so all my cards are highspeed. Gotta show off those 4k videos on the beautiful note pro screen, without hogging too much internal memory :)

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok cool. Yeah I noticed on my devices that it didn't matter what interface was used if something like a Sandisk Ultra was used but once I got up to the Extreme line from Sandisk there was a difference. It was slight but there . . so I totally get where you're coming from. Once you move up to the Extreme Pros (higher than 60MB/s write speed rating) I'm sure 3.0 is well worth it.

Jelly Belly

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Why have they got the memory card stuck in the USB end?

00124020awd.jpg

Grimgrak

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Think you missed the boat there N2N a usb 3.0 flash drive wont hang off my keychain and allow me to transfer stuff between the sd card in my note pro to a pc.

madaudio

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Thats the wrong direction. I can keychain this along with multiple 64g cards and have it on me all the time. Portable hard drive hell I may as well lug around a second tablet.
A small USB-powered USB 3 1Tb Hard drive can hold 8 times what you can put on 2 64Gb sd cards, will cost less than the cost of 2 64Gb cards, and is barely larger than a small mobile phone. It would require no more "lugging around" than a container or connector for 3-4 additional cards other than the one in the Note Pro

hdrive.jpg

Grimgrak

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Maybe an SD card but you need to place that beside a MICRO SD card for proper comparison. I'll have 2 extra micro 64g cards on me that fit inside my keyfob on my keychain.
Ideally with the Hama adapter hanging off my keychain I'll be able to have it on me ALL the time. Are you going to carry around something the size of another cellphone along with a cable ALL the time? Didn't think so.
It's not bang for the buck here it's ultra portable storage that you'll always have on you without any extra effort.

GANote3

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
There are also the portable wifi routers that you can plug a card or usb drive into and they serve as backup battery too.

madaudio

May 29, 2014
Visit site
.......... Are you going to carry around something the size of another cellphone along with a cable ALL the time? Didn't think so.
It's not bang for the buck here it's ultra portable storage that you'll always have on you without any extra effort.

Well, actually, yes: whenever I go anywhere with the Note Pro, I use an over-the-shoulder carry bag to put it in so that I can carry it hands-free. The same bag has a small inside pocket just slightly larger than the hard drive, in which goes the hard drive and the short (around 7 inches) on-the-go cable (the same cable you will need to carry around with you to connect your card reader to the tablet). If I am already carrying the Note Pro in the bag, it is no big deal to add the hard drive: it's small, and very little extra weight.

I only need to plug in the hard drive, and I have access to 1Tb of music, videos, photos and documents. I don't need to keep swapping out cards to find whichever file I want.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
The title of the thread is deceiving since this thread's more about the OP's excitement over finding a microSD adapter that will fit his needs than it is about said solution being the "best" method.

Both options (hard drive vs a smaller adapter/card combo) have their merits and it's pointless to argue about which is better since each of us have different needs and values.

Hard drive pros - cost per gigabyte, huge capacity.
Hard drive cons - size/weight, power drain.

Card/Reader combo pros - size/weight, low power consumption
Carrd/Reader cons - cost per gigabyte, limited capacity of cards.

I typically don't need terabytes worth of data on an average day so I totally understand the preference of physical size over capacity. I can appreciate the need for having larger storage capacity though so definitely understand how one would prefer hard drive over card/reader combo.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

madaudio

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Then there is always Dropbox
I hate to be Mr Negative again, but services like DropBox and other "Clouds" use up data allowances every time you send to the cloud, and every time you retrieve from the cloud.
Which is no big deal for those with large or unlimited data allowances. I don't know about other countries, but where I live, such services are expensive, and mobile data allowances are very small and even more expensive. So frequently sending files (especially large files) to the cloud and retrieving them on the go is not much of an option.
:-!

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I hate to be Mr Negative again, but services like DropBox and other "Clouds" use up data allowances every time you send to the cloud, and every time you retrieve from the cloud.
Which is no big deal for those with large or unlimited data allowances. I don't know about other countries, but where I live, such services are expensive, and mobile data allowances are very small and even more expensive. So frequently sending files (especially large files) to the cloud and retrieving them on the go is not much of an option.
:-!

Not to mention cloud storage is impractical for media like videos and music since direct opening/playback is not possible using applications like dropbox and drive.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Pardon my ignorance, but what would be the point of this if the tablet has a memory card slot?

Benefit of having a reader would be having access to two cards at once or being able to pop in the reader as a secondary storage device to access files as a quick reference while reserving the card that is in the internal slot for files that are needed more often.

One use case I can see would be utilizing a reader for backing up digital photos from a card that came from a digital camera.