Samsung Galaxy Round Specs

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Yep, this thing is for real... curved display? Yup.

Here are the key tech specs we know of so far:

• 5.7 inch 1080p curved display
  • new software experiences built-in to take advantage of the curved display (not many details on this yet)
  • 2.3HGz quad-core processor
  • 3GB or RAM
  • 32GB of storage
  • 2800mAh battery
  • 13MP camera
  • Android 4.3
  • 151 x 79 x 7.9 mm (nearly identical to the Note 3)
What do you make of this? Do you see any practical uses of the curved display, or is this just a gimmick? What other uses for curved displays could you see down the road?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Bringing over my post from here:

The Galaxy Nexus had a slight curve to the glass (though the display itself was of the standard flat variety). Though some dismissed it right away, I can say I noticed a difference when actually using the phone as a phone — that is, it felt a bit more natural while holding it up to your head. I would guess that any sort of design decisions based around flexible display technologies would have some sort of functional basis. For example, I can see it being easier to reach the top-left corner (when holding a device in one's right hand) with a slightly curved device.

I should add that after watching the videos on the Galaxy Round and its software features (tilt to wake the display up, for example), I would say that Samsung's implementation isn't revolutionary, but it is certainly proper. By that, I mean that Samsung has implemented software features that offer simple but potentially beneficial features to the user, and these features are a direct result of incorporating the new hardware technology. That's the right way to include new hardware technologies. Tilting the phone to show the time, notifications, and battery status is very similar to Moto's Active Display and LG's Knock-On features. My personal opinion of the "Galaxy Round" isn't too favorable, but at the same time I can't fault them for doing anything "wrong" with what is likely the first commercially-available flexible-display phone.

The technology itself isn't a gimmick, but you're certainly right in that we have yet to see any indication of which — if any — manufacturers will 'push the envelope', so to speak, with flexible display implementations. Also, it'll be a while before we see these commercially available in the U.S. at prices comparable to current flagship devices. Notice that the Galaxy Round is priced at 1.09 million Won, which is roughly $1,015.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
If you hold a Note 2 or 3 in your hand, you'll note (ha ha) that there is a significant gap between the back of the phone and your fingers. So I would agree that there is a positive ergonomic factor at work here, one that was likely a response to the most common criticism of large-screen phones, i.e., difficulty with one-handed operation. The tilt features seem kind of gimmicky. So it's all about the ergonomics -- an ergonomically correct Note 3. I'm curious as to what it's like to view media on a device with a flexible screen, though.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
But it isn't a Note. It is just a premium phone with all the hardware specs minus the s-pen stuff.

Posted via Android Central App

RDRich858711

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Very similar to the note 3. Good to see them going somewhere with flexible displays. Can't wait to see where they take it in a few years.

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
An interesting idea overall. Having a completely flexible phone in the future would be a game changer.

Harshuvinod

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Yep, this thing is for real... curved display? Yup.

Here are the key tech specs we know of so far:

• 5.7 inch 1080p curved display
  • new software experiences built-in to take advantage of the curved display (not many details on this yet)
  • 2.3HGz quad-core processor
  • 3GB or RAM
  • 32GB of storage
  • 2800mAh battery
  • 13MP camera
  • Android 4.3
  • 151 x 79 x 7.9 mm (nearly identical to the Note 3)
What do you make of this? Do you see any practical uses of the curved display, or is this just a gimmick? What other uses for curved displays could you see down the road?

is it a flexible one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress