Should I get the Skyrocket or the original Galaxy S2?

trusktr

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I just tried navigating in the market and I cant even fling through an app page without noticeable lag (like the original sgs2).

codycorexxx

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
YouTube video streaming seems fine.

Captivate plays flash video about as good as skyrocket. Watching flash videos on nikesb.com is as choppy on skyrocketing as the captivate.

The captivate screen has a higher brightness when both are turned all tthe way up. The colors look better on captivate too. They are more vibrant.

The Baltic feedback is turned all the way up just to barely get the same feedback as on the original galaxy s2.

The captivate sounds better in speaker mode than the skyrocket.

So far, I feel like I've downgraded from the captivate.

...lets hope this isnt the case with the new skyrocket im trying.g tomorrow...

Strange it's just in browsing. I can say though, the Captivate screen is brighter, and colors do look better, but not by much. (though I do have voodoo color running on mine). It sounds like it'll just be a problem with yours. I doubt Samsung would have released it with the browsing being that bad.

trusktr

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Antutu benchmark: 5315

Although that's not too ffar behind the original sgs2, what im experiencing certainly does seem far behind. Not to mention the sgs2 never got hot one singl time during the whole month I had it. This skyrocket is consistently hot and uncomfortable to hold because of it..

Alright. Im crashing. Ill report on the new skyrocket tomorrow.

codycorexxx

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Antutu benchmark: 5315

Although that's not too ffar behind the original sgs2, what im experiencing certainly does seem far behind. Not to mention the sgs2 never got hot one singl time during the whole month I had it. This skyrocket is consistently hot and uncomfortable to hold because of it..

Alright. Im crashing. Ill report on the new skyrocket tomorrow.

Fingers crossed the new one will be better! I'm crashing as well. Night.

Raydiddi

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
After reading through this forum, I have to say, I don't think any of your Skyrockets are defective. I have had the AT&T SGS2 for 25 days, and was floored by how snappy it was. My only complaint was that the internet speeds on AT&T were not that great, but the phone was so fast. I returned it yesterday for the skyrocket, and I too am noticing serious UI lag. It is frustratingly stuttering in nearly everything I do in the UI. I hardly ever noticed this on the OG SGS2. The Skyrockets screen is larger, but looks washed out, and not nearly as sharp as the original. The internet on the Skyrocket is considerably faster, and Im not in an LTE area, but that is really the only advantage, well that and it runs a better version of Gingerbread (2.3.5) I will be returning the Skyrocket and going back to the OG SGS2.

purpleclad

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I traded my SGS2 yesterday for the SkyRocket, and my UI is buttery smooth. I don't notice any lag or any other difference between it and the original. As far as the screen goes, I think the SR has much cleaner whites, without the really bad blue tone.

Reactions: Tom S.

Raydiddi

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
The battery on the skyrocket is considerably worse than the OG SGS2. I have been off my charger for 2 hours and I am at 67% battery. No background data is going, and my battery saver mode is on. Its sitting on my desk with the screen off slowly draining itself. I am very disappointed.

Dranakin

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I think people need to calm down. Batteries always need a week or two to "break in" before holding an optimal charge. When I first got it, my OG SGS2 would barely last 6 hours, with 2 hours on-screen time before dying. It now lasts a full day easily.

As for the performance difference, I know the Snapdragon processor is much worse than the Exynos, but in terms of real-world use, I haven't noticed a single difference. Nothing lags on the SR. Hell, it performs better than the T-Mobile SGS2, despite having the same internals.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The battery on the skyrocket is considerably worse than the OG SGS2. I have been off my charger for 2 hours and I am at 67% battery. No background data is going, and my battery saver mode is on. Its sitting on my desk with the screen off slowly draining itself. I am very disappointed.

Interesting. I fully charged yesterday afternoon. When I turned it off at midnight it had been on for about 7 hours and my battery widget show about 45% power left. And that was setting it up with new apps, launcher etc and even a 24 episode on Netflix on LTE! After a few charge/ recharge cycles, I was hoping to get 10-12 hours. I bought a portable battery pack to top off as needed.

I got about 14+ with the SGSII with my usage patterns.

Do you work at a desk? Seems like you could plug in anytime?

kaede177

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Got my skyrocket yesterday, I am also concerned with the lag on the UI, noticed it the first hour of use, maybe installed two or three but that was it, and it started being a bit buggy like when I first got my captivate. Even the 3g watchdog widget stopped working and I had to reboot.

So far I am not impressed with the software side of it, although I'm sure the horse under the hood is way better than my latter phone. I wonder if getting a new one well help anything since its not hardware. I'm also having some issue with browsing internet too, a hangs sometimes.

It is also getting pretty warm right now as I browse and surf the internet for only 5 minutes. But that issue with the battery I will wait a few days to see if anything changes. Oh, and I started with full charge today and its not quite noon yet, and i'm at 61% with about a generous hour of only reading these forums

kaede177

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
But on the plus side! Large screen is easy on the eyes, I do notice the larger resolution but not much within apps. The browsing speed is really nice but that's just me coming from 3g. My thumb can't tech across the screen but I got used to that in ten minutes. And omg GPS works!!!
I really wish they made the galaxy S logo more flashy lol

trusktr

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Alright, so I went to the store today and tested another skyrocket, and the lag is the same. I'm seeing considerable amounts of checkers when scrolling on web pages. To me, the performance lag is very noticeable everywhere. The skyrocket is definitely not on par with the og sgs2.

I can tell you this much: LTE is going to have to wait because I'm taking the skyrocket back.

Some other things I noticed: the color is washed out. In dark situations you can clearly see streaks and blotches where the oh sgs2 was crisp. The wall charger makes an electrical whining sound when plugged into the wall without the phone plugged in. The haptic feedback is weak even turned all the way up. The phone overheats drastically. The speaker quality is very bad and has a high amount of poppiness when listening to music or someone on the other end of the line. The UI graphics aren't as smooth as the of sgs2. The charger cables is so short you'll want to shoot yourself.

All in all, I'd rather use the captivate to browse internet on the stock android browser, in terms of performance. Skyrocket will download data for the pages faster, but the performance is worse than captivate for me. The one in the store that I tested today was the same.
There were also noticeable color glitches when the browser was rendering JavaScript fades, which were definitely not there with the og sgs2.

I'm gettin' my og sgs2 back. The HTC Vivid also seemed much smoother.

I wonder why there is such a noticeable performance lag? I mean this difference in performance is way too high... maybe that's why Its at 149.99 instead of 249.99...

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Alright, so I went to the store today and tested another skyrocket,o and the lag is the same. I'm seeing considerable amounts of checkers when scrolling on web pages. To me, the performance lag is very noticeable everywhere. The skyrocket is definitely not on par with the og sgs2.

I can tell you this much: LTE is going to have to wait because I'm taking the skyrocket back.

Some other things I noticed: the color is washed out. In dark situations you can clearly see streaks and blotches where the oh sgs2 was crisp. The wall charger makes an electrical whining sound when plugged into the wall without the phone plugged in. The haptic feedback is weak even turned all the way up. The phone overheats drastically. The speaker quality is very bad and has a high amount of poppiness when listening to music or someone on the other end of the line. The UI graphics aren't as smooth as the of sgs2. The charger cables is so short you'll want to shoot yourself.

All in all, I'd rather use the captivate to browse internet on the stock android browser, in terms of performance. Skyrocket will download data for theo pages faster, but the performance is worse than captivate for me. The one in the store that I tested today was the same.
There were also noticeable color glitches when the browser was rendering JavaScript fades, which were definitely not there with the og sgs2.

I'm gettin' my og sgs2 back. The HTC Vivid also seemed much smoother.

I wonder why there is such a noticeable performance lag? I mean this difference in performance is way too high... maybe that's why Its at 149.99 instead of 249.99...

It really is best you return the phone. I doubt you would be happy with it regardless. Despite several videos showing this as a top notch phone, and many other peoples opinions, it is worse than a captivate? I had a captivate and a sgsII and this phone is better than the captivate and on par with the sgsII. I had the sgsII for three weeks and it was a good phone. It just did not download at 25 mbps down and 12 mbps up...lol!

Each to his own, it is your money. Good luck to you and have fun on the sgsII forum!

Last edited:

bwil18

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Got my new skyrocket yesterday, and so far no complaints. Agreed, you can definitely tell a difference in the resolution compared to the sgs2. Hands down it is faster obviously. Hopefully I dont run into any of the problems i have read on here so far!

bwil18

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I had the original sgs2 and then the skyrocket. These are my first android phones, was sick of dealing with apple. Dont think i will ever go back. Broad question, any apps worth dowloading that i should know about? lol. Still a "virgin" to android and debating whether i should root it or not?

Lazerz

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
After manhandling this device yesterday (and not wanting to put it down) I am now almost tempted to just get this instead of the now mythical Galaxy Nexus. It's amazing. I love the bigger screen size, and for some reason it feels better than the Sprint Version which is just as big, if I'm not mistaken...

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I had the original sgs2 and then the skyrocket. These are my first opandroid phones, was sick of dealing with apple. Dont think i will ever go back. Broad question, any apps worth dowloading that i should know about? lol. Still a "virgin" to android and debating whether i should root it or not?

Take a look at appbrain.com to get ideas for apps. Also androidmarket.com

Reactions: bwil18

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
It's amazing. I love the bigger screen size, and for some reason it feels better than the Sprint Version which is just as big, if I'm not mistaken...

I felt the same way about the size. I thought it'd be too big to hold b/c I played w/ the Epic Touch. But, for some reason, it felt better in the hand than the Epic Touch.

I did observe the same things as trusktr. I put my S2 side by side to the Skyrocket and opened up maps. The Skyrocket's colors were clearly washed out in comparison (though still clearer than the Vivid). The UI did seem just a hair slower on the Skyrocket, too (swiping btwn homescreens, pinching and zooming, etc). But, maybe this is b/c it was a store model and they get manhandled all day?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non