Not an option to turn off speaker sound with headphones plugged in?

Irene L

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi, everyone.
So I'm trying to figure out how to turn of the sound on the speakers while the headphones are plugged in. I am using this app to learn a language which I would like to use on my 20 minute bus rides to town, but I've tried every option in Settings to only make the sound come through the headphones, but without any luck. I've also Googled to find a solution to this problem, again without any luck. And only finding people speaking about the same issue.

Does anybody know how to solve this problem? I will worship your toes.

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible that the problem is with the app that you are using to play the sounds. I use earphones every night and have used multiple MP3 players and Podcasts app and everyone of them automatically shuts off the sound from the speaker and only play from the earphone. Just to test you phone (I have an S3 versus your S2) download Rocket Player from the Google store and play an MP3 to see where the sound comes from.

Irene L

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I have played an mp3 and the sound does go to the headphones. Shouldn't it then shut off all sounds when the headphones are inserted? Including apps?

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes, when you plug in the earphone the MP3 should play thru it and there should be no sound thru the phone speakers. If that is not the case with you then either the S2 is difeernent than any other phone that I have had or there is so,ething wrong with your phone. If you know someone else who has an S2 ask them or you can call your phone provider and they may help you.

Irene L

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure that all sound should automatically go through the headphones when they are connected? Because I've read dozens of other forums that when it comes to notification sounds, those must be turned off manually.
But I will take it to the store in which I bought it and ask them, most definitely. It shouldn't be like that.

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I use a ear phone every night when I go to sleep and listen to podcasts and I never manually turn off the phone speakers. I have done this with my S3 and previosly with a Bionic and Thunderbolt.

Irene L

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I use a ear phone every night when I go to sleep and listen to podcasts and I never manually turn off the phone speakers. I have done this with my S3 and previosly with a Bionic and Thunderbolt.
So notification sounds (messages, etc) are mute as well with the ear phones plugged in?

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
email notification sounds are thru the ear plug and so are calendar events. In my case I have an app Calendar Event Reminder which allows me to send the event alrams to my phone speakers instead of the ear plugs.

Irene L

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
That is strange since I've heard so many people having that issue with notifications sounds and ear plugs. Has Samsung made a giant batch of defect phones? :-\

Irene L

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I found a solution, and it's pretty stupid, haha. But if I insert the headphones before I open the app, the sound will go through the headphones. :-! Not so smart phones? lol

Suff2Say

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Connecting b4 opening the app didn't change anything for me. What did work for me was turning off silent boot in the 'Silent Boot' app and powering off the phone (not restarting but powering off, not that I would expect that to make a difference but u never know now - I doubt my next phone will be a Samsung, what with all the annoyances they've decided to 'create' "SINCE" I bought my second one as I loved my first one. First one was the non-4G version, now I have the 4G version and I find out long after I buy it that it doesn't support FM radio. Ok. Bit of an oversight on my part but disappointed nonetheless since I generally get good use out of it. But it's the other things, like making a deal with Telstra to only allow users to have the standard Phone, Contacts & Messages shortcuts at the bottom of the home screen when you used to be able to choose any 4 or was it 5 shortcuts you liked PLUS making it 3 times as difficult to move apps around on the home screens, and for what? Not to mention all the freaking beeps and sounds and noises the thing makes despite having turned all the volume levels down, which can only be resolved by either studying the phone's settings options from an overly cryptic angle, rooting your phone or downloading a myriad of apps, each one resolving one problem at a time, more than likely a combination of the three, in order to shut them up. Then this problem right out of the blue. Who would ever expect sound to ever come from the external speaker when either a wired or blutooth set of headphones is connected, both in my case. At one point I considered removing the external speaker and just relying on vibrate for calls & notifications, but it's too good for media. Wouldn't be a total loss though, just to shut the damn thing up. Fed up Samsung!!

I thought I'd root one of my phones for some experience with rooting & root'ed' phones and at first I planned to do it with the I9300. Then I'm wondering if I should do it with the I9305 and just go back to using the one with the cracked screen if I brick it. They've both got cracked screens now actually, albeit minor cracks, since cracks appear on these screens faster than the crack that appears when a plumber bends down to fix your broken sink. Now I realise the truth of the matter...these phones were 'rooted' the moment they came off the assembly line.) then powering on again.

But I couldn't tell you which one of the two things I did was the one that actually fixed the problem.

Last edited:

Louise Dark

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi, everyone.
So I'm trying to figure out how to turn of the sound on the speakers while the headphones are plugged in. I am using this app to learn a language which I would like to use on my 20 minute bus rides to town, but I've tried every option in Settings to only make the sound come through the headphones, but without any luck. I've also Googled to find a solution to this problem, again without any luck. And only finding people speaking about the same issue.

Does anybody know how to solve this problem? I will worship your toes.

Hi Irene,
I had the same problem as you have but with my Galaxy Tab 3. I've just figured it out.
Go to settings
System Accessories
untick 'Dock Sound' and 'Audio output'
This worked for me, hope it works for you too.

Denis Les

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Does "headphones" icon appear on the notification bar when you have the headphones plugged? I have a pair of headphones with volume control, and I had the same problem you were describing (and no notification that headphones were connected) until I pressed "Volume +" on the headphones, then suddenly they were connected, and the sound only came from the headphones. Hope it helps.

pinbalwyz

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
Irene,
Perhaps I can help. I don't have a Samsung smart phone, but I do have their Galaxy Tablet (just purchased from a pawn shop). I was alarmed (no real warranty on it) when I discovered my boom box wouldn't give voice to the audio jack on the unit. But then I plugged in my headphones instead. I concluded that not all 1/8" stereo jacks are created equal. There enough difference between the cable I had plugged into the boombox and what my headphones have to reason the problem may not lie with the Samsung device at all, but the cable manufacturer.

SJFA

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I concluded that not all 1/8" stereo jacks are created equal. There enough difference between the cable I had plugged into the boombox and what my headphones have to reason the problem may not lie with the Samsung device at all, but the cable manufacturer.
I don't presently have the selection of headsetd to experiment but I can tell you that pinbalwyz is 99% correct and probably on the right track.

There are 3 styles of headphone plugs (in either 3/32" or 1/8"). First is "mono" which has the contact on the tip and the barrel is one piece all the way to the insulating plastic/rubber. This type would never be used on any modern device. I probably last saw one plugged into a "transistor" radio in the '60s. Next is a plug with the connector on the tip and the barrel is divided into two sections with a (black) insulator between them. This is a modern "stereo" plug and would be used on "sound only" devices such as iPods and MP3 players. The third has the barrel divided into 3 parts (rings if you like) with insulators between. This plug is used on stereo headsets with a microphone and those would only be used on devices like a cell phone. HOWEVER... A stereo headset (second plug described) can be plugged into a cell phone and it will play stereo sound. But... there is no telling, for sure, what each model of cell phone will do when that type of plug shorts the microphone connector (in the phone's jack) to ground. Logic MIGHT dictate that if the phone sees a headset with no mic, it might assume that this type of headset won't let the phone operate as a phone so it doesn't affect anything but the media volume setting. Assuming that, then you would need a headset with a mic to expect any additional functionality over ringtone and notifications.

Another point to be aware of. The bands on the barrels of these plugs are narrow and the plugs need to be inserted fully into the jacks or the proper connections will not be made. You might want to check and see if your case prevents the full insertion of the plug.

I do not currently have a headset with a mic to verify my assumptions so such feedback would be appreciated.

And before someone asks, yes a headset with a mic can be used on an MP3 player.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38