Tempered Glass Screen Protector

bassmig

May 25, 2012
Visit site
it would be cool if they had a piece to cover the home button, I would see it as a possible way to get rid of the "barney purple" home button some people seem to have an issue with. Looks like a good product, any word on the cost?

soulsmilen

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, interesting indeed. Wonder how much dirt and grime would gather around that ridge over time... I would think it would eventually find its way underneath and scratch the phone that way.

Going to have to do some more looking into this for sure, thanks for the heads up!

Rackness

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
Sounds interesting. I would like to hear some reviews once it is released. The current review states that there is a noticable and annoying grid pattern that is visable depending on the angle/lighting. That would be a no go for me. I also see that a bumper case fit with the protector but i use 2 part cases amd i wounder if they will still fit. I guess we will find out when this finally hits the market.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I always wanted the white version. I could get the white plate :D. And I'm thinking. If I ever actually cracked my screen could I take it off and replace it with this screen protector? Also by the home button being even with the phone/ slightly below it, it reminds me of the iPhone's home button which isn't hard to press.

Psilo619

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
From their website: Surface hardness of 8H (with the hardest being 10H)
From about . com "Gorilla Glass hardness is comparable to that of sapphire, which is 9 on the Mohs scale of hardness."
Looks cool but $30 is a bit steep for me, especially without some user reviews. Will keep an eye on it.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Looks promising but still to early to tell. I wonder if we can take it off and clean it? Or even reuse it. Guess later I will have do some research on it later.

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I used to have one for my iPhone. They don't come off for cleaning or re-use but they're smoother than any plastic or vinyl screen protector. Ordered one for my white GS3.

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
OK, here's a follow up. I received my xgearlive.com glass screen protector for my GS3.
Here's a little mini-review. I'll try to post some pictures later, but right now my only available camera is the phone itself (makin' it hard to take pictures of itself...).
There's rounded clear spots for the camera, proximity sensors and the LED. The two capacitive button spots next to the home key have the shape of the menu button and back button so you can see the light shine through. Unlike the phone's face itself, when the button light is off you can still see where the buttons are, though it doesn't look bad at all.

The glass covering the screen itself feels very much like the naked screen, though doesn't resist fingerprints quite as well, but doesn't cause rainbow smears like a plastic screen protector. It's got an ever so slight amount of give to the surface as the adhesive appears to be only along the periphery and not on the clear part itself, so the adhesive raises the clear part over the screen a tiny fraction of a millimeter - just enough to feel the give if you push. There's a slight dotted pattern to the glass of the screen protector - presumably for better touch transmission - but it's nearly invisible when the screen is on.

The home button does sit ever so slightly lower than the face of the phone now, but it doesn't bother me personally. It's similar to how the iPhone's home button is concave as compared to the raised button of the naked GS3.

The extra half millimeter of thickness that's added to the face of the phone might interfere with some tight-fitting cases that cover the bezel, but my Incipio feather case isn't affected at all.

It's pretty much the ultimate screen protector. Though for $25 a pop, it better be. And you should make sure you are very, very careful putting it on. You only get one...

Reactions: soulsmilen

DelbertKim

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
OK, here's a follow up. I received my xgearlive.com glass screen protector for my GS3.
Here's a little mini-review. I'll try to post some pictures later, but right now my only available camera is the phone itself (makin' it hard to take pictures of itself...).
There's rounded clear spots for the camera, proximity sensors and the LED. The two capacitive button spots next to the home key have the shape of the menu button and back button so you can see the light shine through. Unlike the phone's face itself, when the button light is off you can still see where the buttons are, though it doesn't look bad at all.

The glass covering the screen itself feels very much like the naked screen, though doesn't resist fingerprints quite as well, but doesn't cause rainbow smears like a plastic screen protector. It's got an ever so slight amount of give to the surface as the adhesive appears to be only along the periphery and not on the clear part itself, so the adhesive raises the clear part over the screen a tiny fraction of a millimeter - just enough to feel the give if you push. There's a slight dotted pattern to the glass of the screen protector - presumably for better touch transmission - but it's nearly invisible when the screen is on.

The home button does sit ever so slightly lower than the face of the phone now, but it doesn't bother me personally. It's similar to how the iPhone's home button is concave as compared to the raised button of the naked GS3.

The extra half millimeter of thickness that's added to the face of the phone might interfere with some tight-fitting cases that cover the bezel, but my Incipio feather case isn't affected at all.

It's pretty much the ultimate screen protector. Though for $25 a pop, it better be. And you should make sure you are very, very careful putting it on. You only get one...

I reviewed the Spectre from XGear as well right here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...xy-s3-screen-protector-customization-key.html

Although I didn't mention it on the review, t's not one of those one shot deals. While I was doing the screen protector round-up, I took it on and off countless times, and I think the attachment was terrific every single time. I think the adhesive is on the outer edges of the Spectre rather than across the entire back side of the screen protector.

I agree that it's a fantastic screen protector, and my only issue was with the recessed home key. It's not quite like the concaved iPhone home button, which is more like a slight crater which isn't all that bad. The Spectre feels more like a mini cliff :)

Reactions: soulsmilen

soulsmilen

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Great review Guys, thank you for the time involved and the detailed info. One thing that concerns me about the tempered protecor... Is there adhesive around the cutouts, like around the home button? If there is adhesive only on the outer edge and it raises the protector even that fraction of a mm, that leaves space for debris to work its way in and under at the cutouts, ultimately resulting in scratches and pits on the screen itself.

I'd like to hear your opinions after longer use to see if that is the case.

glassygurl

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I had this on my phone for a few days and I'll post my pros and cons here.

Pros:
- Felt really smooth and naked
- Very easy installation; out of any screen protectors, these were the easiest and simplest
- The white edges lined up very well with my phone; it didnt look awkward or anything

Cons:
- I don't know if anyone else noticed, but there are tiny dots all over the screen. I guess some people don't mind but I found them to be very annoying, esp. when I'm watching videos or checking email
- Problems with proximity sensor; I've emailed them about it and apparently, they know about it and are sending me new ones
- Rainbow effect
- Recessed home button; it's hard for me to press them

I should have taken a picture of it before I removed them but after they told me they were going to send revised version, I took mine out and threw them away. If I put on the new ones, I'll post pics. :)

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I received my Spectre screen protector today and installed it immediately. Following the instructions to clean the phone glass face well I used a micro-cloth dampened with eye glass lens cleaner and polished with the micro cloth supplied with the Spectre. Then removed the back cover and carefully aligned the protector to the top speaker and camera openings (very good bright light helps here if you have the pebble blue as I do). held the aligned top edge and let the protector drop to the surface of the phone face. Made sure the home button was aligned (it was off a bit, so I lifted the protector with a scalpel blade tip) repositioned the bottom and then pressed the screen protector into place. PERFECT! Not a single bubble! I thought I had one bubble but it was actually between the top surface of the screen and the top cover sheet. When the top cover sheet was removed I could not tell I had a screen protector on. My version has beveled edges to prevent edge chipping and getting lifted off the phone.

The pros previously listed in this thread are what I found also. The issue of the home button is not an issue to me. The screen protector has a 0.4 mm thickness but not enough to make using the home button an issue for me.

I don't feel any gap between the screen protector and the face of the phone. And find the sensitivity to be very close to the naked phone face.

The Spectre screen protector works well with my slim line Rearth S3 phone case without either one interfering with the other. They fit flush to one another so there is no gap line for dirt to get caught in, very nice combo.

This is definitely my favorite screen protector of the half dozen I have tried on the S3.

Last edited:

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
it would be cool if they had a piece to cover the home button, I would see it as a possible way to get rid of the "barney purple" home button some people seem to have an issue with. Looks like a good product, any word on the cost?
Barny purple? Are you color blind? I am kidding!!
You can actually use the HD helicopter film to do that. I used the HD version for the screen protector as well, much more like glass, and less like the old orange peel effect.

RyDawgBoston

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I had this protector put on my S3 recently, I had to leave my phone with the shop assistant (vodafone) and returned after half an hour to collect it, I can honestly say that it is without doubt an excellent job, about 2 weeks ago, i was putting my phone in to my car phone holder and i nicked the edge of the cover near the home button causing the edge of the protector ride up slightly ( actually a tiny edge of the protector came upwards and loose.)..., but I left it alone and it recovered after a few hrs back to its original position..(and i mean100% original)...the protector is virtually invisible, and people who handled my phone to use it did not even know it had one fitted!!!....it cost me ?25 but was worth every penny, I carry my mobile with me in my pocket at home and work...left it fall twice and not one single mark on it!!....hope this helps guys
Samsung Galaxy S III (S3) Screen Protector | invisibleSHIELD by ZAGG
Are you talking about the Spectre glass protector or ZAGG? You put up a link for ZAGG.

This thread is about the Spectre glass shield.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
cases like the diztronic one that raise the edge so the screen doesn't touch the table or surface it whatever... do they now touch the surface/table?

What cases are you guys using with yours?

So you have a screen protector on your screen protector? ;)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo