Galaxy S USB connector - isnt it at a weird place?

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
One gripe I have with the device is that the usb port it on the top. I dont know about others, but I have a habit of keeping the phone connected to charger when I am on desk and talk while the phone is charging, and I dont use headsets. Its easy and intuitive to hold a phone next to ear with the cord connected to the bottom of the cell phone. Its also easy to hold the phone in hand with wire hanging from the bottom - puts no tug on the device while holding; whereas a cable connected to top will tug the phone in opposite direction when you tilt the phone towards you. While I already could not understand design decision behind putting the connector/charger port on the left or right sides of some of the cell phone, it is at an even more "weirder" place in case of Galaxy S. It may have been placed at the top to facilitate the TV-connection purpose, but my complaint still stands - it lacks intuitiveness. While it might not affect your style of using your phone, do you find the connector placement odd?

and what happened to camera flash? Why would such an all-feature-packed device forgo something that should be as standard as a screen in a cell phone?

Dont get me wrong here. I think Galaxy S is one of the best (maybe THE best) Android device I have ever seen. It has the power to give iPhone4 a run for its money. If it comes to TMobile, I am getting it.

Last edited:

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I hadn't even noticed the usb port being on the top. I just assumed it would be on the bottom. That is an odd choice. You're right, it wouldn't matter (might even be better) if it is on the top when it is charging on your nightstand or computer table. But, when you are talking on it, a different issue. I can imagine being in the car, talking on the phone, with the phone on the car charger. Those car charger cables aren't very long to begin with, and if it has to go up above the phone and then curve down, that is going to be a lot of trouble.

The camera flash puzzles me too. I would think that would be a "must-have" on a top-of-the-line product it is being billed as.

tripplec

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Well IMO it not so much that its on top. But the POWER button is not on top as in many phones. Trying to squeeze the volume up/down also results in squeezing the power button with dire results. This is particularily an issue when in a cradle in the car or trying to wake it up to see the display in the car. The buttons are too flush as well making them hard to locate by touch.

For a device valued over $500 dollars, where is the:
- LED Flash for camera (they say not nessary well let me decide if I want to use it)
- LED status, notification LED is a real serious ommission especially on a smart phone. I thought they were only pennies now.

I tested two other Android phones both with the above correct. I like the larger clear screen for my vision and louder clear ear piece and speaker. Also its a 1GHZ CPU for future updates of Android. Otherwise if speed and screen were not a crucial. the LG Shine Plus I also have on another number for my wife is the best all round choice doing it all and well.

Last edited: