Good Lock update brings partial Galaxy S10 notification LED alternative.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Good Lock now has a notification light around punch hole sort of

Just read this. I have not use this as I'm using Holey Light. It does sound like Holey Light is better because the Good Lock version is not compatible for 3rd party apps. Read below.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sa...-galaxy-s10-notification-led-alternative/amp/

I think you read that wrong... It doesn't work with 3rd party notifications WHEN THE SCREEN IS OFF (or stock apps for that matter). Edge Lighting/GoodLock's new option only shows IF the screen is on. Thus, only notifications that trigger a screen wake command (as explained, albeit briefly, in the Edge Lighting settings) will show that animation. If the notification doesn't wake the screen (and is set as pop up), no matter if it's a stock or 3rd party app, it will not work with these.

Holey Light is good, BUT the dev already disclosed that it's nowhere near where he wanted it, especially in the battery/performance department and that (at least not him) there will be no more development/improvement in the near/mid future as he will be busy with his actual job. So proceed at your own risk (although it's a very calculated one as the app is mostly stable)

bbgpsuser

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site

I think you read that wrong... It doesn't work with 3rd party notifications WHEN THE SCREEN IS OFF (or stock apps for that matter). Edge Lighting/GoodLock's new option only shows IF the screen is on. Thus, only notifications that trigger a screen wake command (as explained, albeit briefly, in the Edge Lighting settings) will show that animation. If the notification doesn't wake the screen (and is set as pop up), no matter if it's a stock or 3rd party app, it will not work with these.

Holey Light is good, BUT the dev already disclosed that it's nowhere near where he wanted it, especially in the battery/performance department and that (at least not him) there will be no more development/improvement in the near/mid future as he will be busy with his actual job. So proceed at your own risk (although it's a very calculated one as the app is mostly stable)

I am using the solution in Good Lock's new option and it works just fine with Textra and the screen off.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

I am using the solution in Good Lock's new option and it works just fine with Textra and the screen off.

Do you have Textra's option to wake the screen when receiving a message? That's usually on by default (I should know because I hated it and it's the first thing I disable on messaging apps...)

bbgpsuser

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site

Do you have Textra's option to wake the screen when receiving a message? That's usually on by default (I should know because I hated it and it's the first thing I disable on messaging apps...)

Interesting. That option is enabled. But when I get a notification only the indication around the cameras and the little box associated with Edge lighting appears. Nothing else on the screen appears.

bbgpsuser

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site

Ran a test. With that option disabled, the edge indication does not show up.
With that option enabled, it works exactly like the default messaging app in regard to edge lighting.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Interesting. That option is enabled. But when I get a notification only the indication around the cameras and the little box associated with Edge lighting appears. Nothing else on the screen appears.

Yup, this plug-in (just like Edge Lighting) 'intercept' wake-screen commands for these notifications and instead replace them with the default animation you chose. If you disable that, then the normal notification (with a full wake screen) would appear whenever you get a new message.

bbgpsuser

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site

Yup, this plug-in (just like Edge Lighting) 'intercept' wake-screen commands for these notifications and instead replace them with the default animation you chose. If you disable that, then the normal notification (with a full wake screen) would appear whenever you get a new message.

The default messaging app must use the same wake up command as Textra. If Textra has the option enabled to wake screen, it responds the same as the default messaging app.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

The default messaging app must use the same wake up command as Textra. If Textra has the option enabled to wake screen, it responds the same as the default messaging app.

Yup, it does. Most of the time it can't be disabled on stock, which is why I use 3rd party apps :p

bbgpsuser

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site

Yup, it does. Most of the time it can't be disabled on stock, which is why I use 3rd party apps :p

So your goal is to only have edge lighting when the screen is on by some other means.

My goal, and probably the same for most people, is to have the edge lighting work ALL the time. If the screen has to technically be on, or not, doesn't really matter.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

So your goal is to only have edge lighting when the screen is on by some other means.

My goal, and probably the same for most people, is to have the edge lighting work ALL the time. If the screen has to technically be on, or not, doesn't really matter.

Don't know how you got that from my comments (just explaining how Good Lock/ Edge Lighting works). I, too, only want either the Edge or Camera cutout animation all the time. What I don't like is having an app wake up the entire screen for any reason (that's what I disable in messaging apps).

Again, regardless of why this is the way it is, a 'wake screen' command is needed for Good Lock/Edge Lighting to show at all when the screen is off or is on AOD. Where Holey Light comes in is to 'fill this void', allowing you to have that animation for all apps and at all times regardless if a wake command is included with the notification, at the cost of not being necessarily battery and/or process optimized (and it also uses a couple 'frowned upon' methods of accessibility that Google advises to avoid and, most likely, will actively block in future updates).

bbgpsuser

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site

What I don't like is having an app wake up the entire screen for any reason (that's what I disable in messaging apps).

Just to reiterate, the only part of the screen that actually lights up is the notification text box and the pixels around the camera hole.

Again, regardless of why this is the way it is, a 'wake screen' command is needed for Good Lock/Edge Lighting to show at all when the screen is off or is on AOD. Where Holey Light comes in is to 'fill this void', allowing you to have that animation for all apps and at all times regardless if a wake command is included with the notification, at the cost of not being necessarily battery and/or process optimized (and it also uses a couple 'frowned upon' methods of accessibility that Google advises to avoid and, most likely, will actively block in future updates).

I suspect that Holey Light does this by issuing its own wake screen. After all, the pixels around the camera hole are parts of the screen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scutley

May 17, 2013
Visit site

Just to reiterate, the only part of the screen that actually lights up is the notification text box and the pixels around the camera hole.

I suspect that Holey Light does this by issuing its own wake screen. After all, the pixels around the camera hole are parts of the screen.

Holey uses the same AOD that you have, and the same wake screen etc...

Gix1k

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I don't get the purpose they are going for, but why would I want edge lighting to work when the screen is ON!!!? I'm obviously using the phone and aware something came in. The more logical use would be with screen OFF! So dumb!

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't really follow the thread of comments above, but I will jump in to support the fact that Holey Light works with AOD. Developer has updated this twice in the last couple of days and I have been able to select different colors for my different apps for which I want to see the notifications. Only thing missing now is different patterns of light around the camera cutout, such as fast/slow blink or perhaps bigger/softer edge glowing. Dev is really doing a good job with this app and it is not even officially released yet.