Looking at a s10 (have s9 now)

jace1969

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm looking into an S10 but the main 2 things I depend on a lot for tablet reminding is the notification side, it's a must as a carer.
1.........i see there is no notification light,if i miss the sound the light keeps flashing which is great as i see this.
2.........does it still have the ''always on'' as then i can see the little icon under the time if i have a notification and what it is.

My s9 is great for this.

jace1969

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for both of you for fast replies on this.
Yes Adam no front light that flashes which is a must as if i miss the sound i still have 2 things to fall back on, I'm 24/7 carer at home for very elderly dad so
the flashing light was great, the always on display is good as then i can see what notification it is as most apps work great off this.
I see there are apps out that makes the front camera LED flash but does it stay on like the light does.
Just that the S10 now are so much cheaper and also 2 sims which is a plus for me.
so
1......so does the app to work the light around the front camera stop on and flash or comes on then off when you get a notification.
2......do i go for the U.K or International one as Amazon sells both what it says and if international does 2 year cover still ok.

Last edited:

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I've tried to get the LEDs around the front camera to work for notifications, but was unsuccessful. YMMV.

The always on display sucks battery.

Your use case screams for a traditional multicolor LED. Samsung really dropped the ball on quite a bit as they moved forward, and I fear they will continue to drop the ball on S11 as they desperately chase after the acceptance of ignorant consumers who think it must be radically different every time. The S9 was a great phone; give me new processors and radios in that same format, and that's all I need.

Half the problem is eyeball-seeking web sites "telling" said ignorant people what they should want, creating the demand for stupid things like no LED and curved edge screens.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
3D facial recognition
Battery
Camera
Probably DDR4
also pick up USF3 which N10 sports is welcome
ToF
The onscreen fingerprint has been "okay" but not as good as hoped

I'm not in favor of save by buying year old tech - nor buying new model until it has been out for long enough to work out issues Not to buy on day 1 but to get a sense from users and reviews.

When you must you must.

For me the S10+ camera made a difference. Also it was much lighter than my Note 9 and 9+ which I welcomed. Anything above 190gm gets heavy and a strain.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have an S10 and really enjoy it. I think if you are wanting to take the plunge - go for it! Yes, the S11 will be out soon; but with technology nowadays, the "newest" iteration doesn't necessarily equal super-new must-have features. Sometimes last year's model has the same awesome performance and experience (other than an older processor) at a lesser price.

Of course, you can always wait 'til the S11 comes out and then make a decision. The S9 is an awesome device - my brother-in-law has had it almost since launch and doesn't seem ready to give it up yet - so do what feels right for you!

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
If my wife hadn't drowned my old S6 Edge I would have kept my S8 a bit longer so I got an S10. It's used for business and music mainly. I do not do social media or games. For my purposes, running Android 10 beta, it isn't of any advantage over the S8.

I really miss the Led notification. As stated above, none of the so called alternatives work. I would recommend you keep the S9 a while longer

jace1969

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all your comments on this.
Reading this it aims towards keeping my s9 which is still a great phone, I never pay mad prices for anything when first out as if I don't have I won't miss
so when I do get an older one its still like a new one to me and sort out a few problems as they always have them.
My ''always on display'' don't drain my battery at all, my phone can last turned on for 5am and off by 10pm and i get just the end of the second day,
my phone is not at all for games as i need 100%on caring problems so mainly for notifications/reminders and a couple of calls/news app browsing.
It looks like Samsung is going down the iPhone route I'm sad to say taking off stuff, main thing I wanted was the things they are taking off now, came from
iPhone 8 onto a s7 now my s9.
Does anyone have the international model.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all your comments on this.
Reading this it aims towards keeping my s9 which is still a great phone, I never pay mad prices for anything when first out as if I don't have I won't miss
so when I do get an older one its still like a new one to me and sort out a few problems as they always have them.
My ''always on display'' don't drain my battery at all, my phone can last turned on for 5am and off by 10pm and i get just the end of the second day,
my phone is not at all for games as i need 100%on caring problems so mainly for notifications/reminders and a couple of calls/news app browsing.
It looks like Samsung is going down the iPhone route I'm sad to say taking off stuff, main thing I wanted was the things they are taking off now, came from
iPhone 8 onto a s7 now my s9.
Does anyone have the international model.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Keep your S9 if it is working well for you!