Is 256MB RAM sufficient?

stalemate1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
My S2 is dieing *dramatic music playing* major screen glitch that could render the phone useless depending on what you want to do as the bottom half of the screen blacks out.

I know I have a Lumia but still doesn't fulfil my feature needs.

Im looking to replace it with a cheap new Huawei Ascend Y220 but it only has 256MB RAM, 1GHz dual core and Gingerbread. Im a little cautious as im not sure how applications I frequently use (such as whats app and google chrome) will function with such low RAM ?

Also considering Samsung galaxy pocket /plus/Y and LG L1 II.

Samsungs offering is tempting with their 1GB pm, 1 year wifi promotion but will cost a lot more.

Does anyone have experience with either of the devices listed above?

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is 256MB RAM enough?

256MB of RAM at this point is incredibly low. The OS will probably use half, which will leave 100 or so for you.

I would also advise to stay away from Samsung's low end offerings, as TouchWiz makes those decent specced phones a lot slower than they should be.

Are these your only options? If possible, I'd get a Moto G or Moto E.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2

stalemate1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

256MB of RAM at this point is incredibly low. The OS will probably use half, which will leave 100 or so for you.

I would also advise to stay away from Samsung's low end offerings, as TouchWiz makes those decent specced phones a lot slower than they should be.

Are these your only options? If possible, I'd get a Moto G or Moto E.

I cant stretch my budget that far.

I mean at least it uses an older version of Android (2.3) which should be a lot less hungry for resources compared too Gelly Bean, as it was built for much older (weaker) hardware.

But do you think it will be sufficient to run what's app or Google Chrome without issues?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Mobile Nations mobile app

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I cant stretch my budget that far.

I mean at least it uses an older version of Android (2.3) which should be less hungry for resources.

But do you think it will be sufficient to run what's app or Google Chrome without issues?

What's your budget limit? The Moto E is a little over $100, and depending on which carrier you have, the Moto G can be $100-200.

Those phones really aren't worth the trouble they'll cause you. If at all possible, I'd keep using the S2 until you have enough for one of Moto's offerings.

stalemate1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
What's your budget limit? The Moto E is a little over $100, and depending on which carrier you have, the Moto G can be $100-200.

Those phones really aren't worth the trouble they'll cause you. If at all possible, I'd keep using the S2 until you have enough for one of Moto's offerings.

$40-$50 is my budget.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

stalemate1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

Chrome app needs Android 4.0+ .... What'sapp can run as low as 2.1.

Thank you for this information, where did you find all this information? As there are a few more apps I want to look up.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Thank you for this information, where did you find all this information? As there are a few more apps I want to look up.

On the desktop version of play. On each app toward the bottom is miscellaneous info among that is lowest Android version.

Brought to you by CM11, an M8, and the AC Forums App.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38