Help please! Getting REALLY crappy photos on Ultra!

feelfreetopanic

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site
Everyone, I'm getting really frustrated with my S 20 ultra. I've attached a photo that shows what's happening. Far away photos of buildings or landscapes turn out fine but when I try to take a picture of anything within 2 to 3 of the camera it's completely blurry and out of focus on the edges. The center of the photo tends to be OK but the edges are an absolute mess as you can see in the one photo I posted. There's absolutely zero focus there. Can anyone assist me??? I'm using basic settings on the camera and don't understand why this is happening. I literally can't take any photos of anything that's even relatively close to me without it turning out like a blurry mess. Photo of screenshot of settings being used attached also. Unacceptable for a $1400 phone.

Attachments

• 20200602_152539.jpg
    20200602_152539.jpg
    443.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20200602-152917_Camera.jpg
    Screenshot_20200602-152917_Camera.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 37

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
oh man.

I'm sure one of the fine folks here will mention it at some point, but this is just one of the things that happens with the Ultra. There are threads and threads on this same topic, and you might want to browse them in order to get your answer.

The short version of the answer to your problem is that's just the way your pictures are going to come out due to camera specs...expect lots of blur. blur when people move, blur when you're indoors, and blur anywhere that's not the middle of your photo when you're taking close ups.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Everyone, I'm getting really frustrated with my S 20 ultra. I've attached a photo that shows what's happening. Far away photos of buildings or landscapes turn out fine but when I try to take a picture of anything within 2 to 3 of the camera it's completely blurry and out of focus on the edges. The center of the photo tends to be OK but the edges are an absolute mess as you can see in the one photo I posted. There's absolutely zero focus there. Can anyone assist me??? I'm using basic settings on the camera and don't understand why this is happening. I literally can't take any photos of anything that's even relatively close to me without it turning out like a blurry mess. Photo of screenshot of settings being used attached also. Unacceptable for a $1400 phone.

Sorry to hear you are having a problem with your Galaxy S20 Ultra.

Just 2 quick questions...

1. Which model of Galaxy S20 Ultra do you have?
(Go to... Settings > About phone > Model number)

2. Are you running the latest TE6 or later firmware with the new Close-Up Zoom feature?
(Go to... Settings > Software update > Download and install > Software update information > Current version > G988*********

See detail of the new Close-up Zoom feature

yHH2Ul6l.jpg

(image courtesy of xda developers forum)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p17hjvQqH_w

Peter Scooze

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site

The size of the lens causes a shallow depth of field up close. You need to keep the camera further away and zoom in a bit. The camera has a learning curve. You gotta play around with it. As moredef mentioned there's a ton of threads on the forum that will help you out. And as ironass mentioned there are also updates that help fix things a bit. Feel free to ask questions . Lots of people on here can help you learn the camera.

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Here are just some examples of similar shots. The first set was taken by my Ultra, and you've just got to temper your expectations about what photos will look like. There will be blur around what the center of your picture is, especially the closer you get. Look how blurry that app icon is that isn't the YouTube app?! The second set was taken by my Pixel 3XL. Little to no blurring due to it being just one camera, and being a small one at that. I guess what I want to show you is that it's just how things are with Ultra photos, so if you just got it, and your main reason was camera, and you're not happy...speak now(and return) or forever hold your peace.

Attachments

• 20200602_141141.jpg
    20200602_141141.jpg
    570.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20200602_141044.jpg
    20200602_141044.jpg
    581.9 KB · Views: 32
  • MVIMG_20200602_141425.jpg
    MVIMG_20200602_141425.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 32
  • MVIMG_20200602_141409.jpg
    MVIMG_20200602_141409.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 32

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Last set of examples, I promise. These were taken with the Ultra, and the first one was just regular photo mode. It's hit or miss with indoor lighting, and I swear I tapped the screen to focus on the YouTube icon. It still came out blurry. The second one required me diving into pro mode and playing with the settings to take the same picture. This time, the YouTube icon came out CRYSTAL CLEAR and very crisp.

I guess that just shows that the camera can take great (still) photos (in good lighting), but it requires way more work. It's def not a point and shoot.

Attachments

• 20200602_145747.jpg
    20200602_145747.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20200602_145913.jpg
    20200602_145913.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 32

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
As suggested by another. Try backing off on the camera and zoom in a little. It should eliminate the shallow depth of field you are experiencing.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Close (ish) focus and medium to low light is definitely this phones kryptonite. There is a fix or sorts but all that is switching to a 1.5 digital zoom and asking you to step back.

I have sold my ultra now but what I did notice with the AF was that the focus was often attracted to a brighter element in the scene if there was one even if I was not focussing near it. I did a screen recording but have not figured out uploading videos to AC yet!

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
When did you sell your Ultra? Why?

I just thought you posted just the other day "Fixed" when someone mentioned Camera issue or update or something.

Close (ish) focus and medium to low light is definitely this phones kryptonite. There is a fix or sorts but all that is switching to a 1.5 digital zoom and asking you to step back.

I have sold my ultra now but what I did notice with the AF was that the focus was often attracted to a brighter element in the scene if there was one even if I was not focussing near it. I did a screen recording but have not figured out uploading videos to AC yet!

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
When did you sell your Ultra? Why?

I just thought you posted just the other day "Fixed" when someone mentioned Camera issue or update or something.

It was a joke, I had edited the text of I think it was Mike's post. So fixed his post not that my Ultra was fixed :)

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Why I happen to have the S9 plus at the moment, and thought about upgrading to the one of the S20's. I've decided against it due to that change in photography.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Why I happen to have the S9 plus at the moment, and thought about upgrading to the one of the S20's. I've decided against it due to that change in photography.
I can take pictures that would be impossible with most other phones, but it's not for everyone nor would I ever buy into the change photography hype. Most of the people that are unhappy with it are the snapshooter types and I would never recommend it to anyone that doesn't want to fuss with settings or doesn't understand photography. I'm hoping to see some improvements with the Note 20 + but I don't expect it to change photography either.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'm that point and shoot type of guy. I was thinking about getting the 20+, but due to people complaining about the camera, and the fact that my S9+ really is still performing quite well, I'll probably just wait it out a while longer. From what I have been reading, some of the updates seem to be helping.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I'm that point and shoot type of guy. I was thinking about getting the 20+, but due to people complaining about the camera, and the fact that my S9+ really is still performing quite well, I'll probably just wait it out a while longer. From what I have been reading, some of the updates seem to be helping.

People are complaining about the S20+ camera?