Can I trust Samsung to push updates and patches?

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Greetings all. I stopped using Samsung phones a few years ago, after purchasing a brand new unlocked phone (top of the line at the time) only to have them simply stop putting out security updates for it within a few months. As far as I know they never pushed another update for it again and abandoned it to support their newer model once it came out.

Is Samsung any better about pushing Android security patches now? Being on the latest patch is very important to me for security. Naturally Samsung refuses to answer me directly but perhaps y'all can clue me in? Is Samsung any better about patching their devices now? What about long term support (pushing patches every month for more than 6 months after a phone is released).

If not I guess I'll have to stick with an iPhone or wait for the ever elusive Pixel 4a/5.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Greetings all. I stopped using Samsung phones a few years ago, after purchasing a brand new unlocked phone (top of the line at the time) only to have them simply stop putting out security updates for it within a few months. As far as I know they never pushed another update for it again and abandoned it to support their newer model once it came out.

Is Samsung any better about pushing Android security patches now? Being on the latest patch is very important to me for security. Naturally Samsung refuses to answer me directly but perhaps y'all can clue me in? Is Samsung any better about patching their devices now? What about long term support (pushing patches every month for more than 6 months after a phone is released).

If not I guess I'll have to stick with an iPhone or wait for the ever elusive Pixel 4a/5.

Sounds like you are too impatience

Maher Salfiti

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I had the Pixel 2XL and got security patches and OS updates like clockwork. I bought a Samsung S20 Plus when it came out and, to my surprise, updates came pretty quickly for March and April.... Then nothing. Haven't seen May or June. I've heard there is an update for the unlocked models, but I'm on Verizon, who butts their noses in the updates, and I've seen other carrier models with similar update delays. Not sure if this is Samsung or the carriers, but I can tell you my next phone will be either a Pixel or an unlocked phone. Not to mention I'm not a fan of Samsung bloat or UI tweaks.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I have an unlocked S10+ Exynos version. I have had regular updates every month (2 in June) and when I got my phone in January it upgraded immediately to Android 10 and I got OneUI 2.1 a month or so later after the S20 came out.

I have had a Pixel 2xl and a 4xl and I thought I wouldn't get such regular updates from Samsung but I was wrong.

Yes. I will have to wait later for Android 11 on my Samsung but I know I will get it.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I understand what you are saying about update reliability and consistency. Coming from a Pixel 2, I was concerned that my S10 wouldn't get updates as quickly.

I believe Samsung has improved in this regard - updates seem to be longer-lasting and more frequent - but I think your carrier and whether or not your phone is an unlocked model also play a role.

Since I bought my phone locked to a Canadian carrier this time, unfortunately (I like buying unlocked phones), I am at the mercy of my carrier when it comes to waiting for updates. However, I must say that I get some updates quicker than others.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide! :)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Samsung has gotten better no question about that , but your only getting 2 years software and 3 years security , if you looking longer then your other option are your best bet .

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
What exactly was the last Samsung device you owned?

Last edited:

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
The last time I gave Samsung my money it was to purchase an S7. So it's been a few years. But with how poorly the Pixel phones seem to be specced and built, I feel like Samsung is my only other option for an Android phone. I had a pixel 3a XL, which was fine and got updates on the regular. My S7 got three updates (spaced across about 6 months) and then not another one. I'm unlocked with a pay as you go plan rather than being tied to one carrier.

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I should also note that that particular S7 almost exploded with the expanding battery issue, so I've been a bit shy of Samsung in general. I'm willing to allow that that was a one-off or a manufacturer defect but it was not a good combination for an $800 phone.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I should also note that that particular S7 almost exploded with the expanding battery issue, so I've been a bit shy of Samsung in general. I'm willing to allow that that was a one-off or a manufacturer defect but it was not a good combination for an $800 phone.
Expanding battery can happen to any device

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
True. It's happened to me twice. That was more the final nail in the exploding coffin for Samsung for me. But with so few choices I'm forced to reconsider it, that's all.

freddytireguy

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I have the A70 on Rogers in Canada. I have not had an update since December even though it is supposed to have quarterly updates. Other networks in Canada released the update on May 25 to Android 10. This is obscene for a $700 phone.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes my s10, note 10 and s20 plus were all getting updated right on time as per google security patches. Also Samsung issues their own updates too.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I've had no issue with getting patches on my Note or S series phones for years, they give monthly security patches for 3 and quarterly after that. On rare occasion Verizon delays the security patch to bundle it with an actual update.

My Note 8 is the oldest phone I keep active, it's on the June security patch right now. That's a flagship from 2017 and as we all know it's 2020 right now.

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
I have my first Samsung, a Note 9. I got it in August 2018. Security patches have been fairly timely this year as opposed to last. But it took forever to get the Android 10 update. Yes, Verizon (which I'm on) is problematic for updates. But it's obvious Samsung heavily prioritizes their latest & "greatest". I'm waiting on OneUI 2.1, which will be my last non-security update. I'm not willing to switch to a Pixel, & from what I hear, no other Androids are any timelier. (Barring OnePlus, which Verizon only carries the 8 & not the Pro, so that's out.) For a number of reasons, unless the Note 20 really wows me, which isn't looking likely, I may finally jump ship to an iPhone. Their updates are timely & universal. They're increasingly offering smaller models & lowering prices. Androids keep getting bigger & prices keep going up.

Last edited:

Brian Withers

May 8, 2020
Visit site
Samsung has been great with updates. Unfortunately Verizon hasn't pushed out any update since April 7th. It looks like the carriers are the problem!