Can my S20 provide internet through the USB-C and terminate in an RJ45 jack?

zgs

Aug 13, 2021
Visit site
I see a lot of devices for sale that convert an RJ45 jack with internet to a USB-C so the phone can get internet access but I need to do the reverse if possible, and I don't think those devices work in reverse. They all describe providing internet from the RJ45 to the USB-C. Sometimes I need to reset wifi cameras at remote locations through their wired jacks and this would make it easy if I could plug directly into the phone without having to bring a router and trying to find an outlet for it outdoors.

zgs

Aug 13, 2021
Visit site
Thanks. I got a "yes, will work" answer at another site from someone who does it occasionally. The steps you sent are the opposite type of connection I was wanting to make. I want the phone and its USB-C to provide internet to the RJ45 jack. Most people use the adapters to provide the laptop with internet through the laptop's USB-C. I want to connect my phone to the WAN jack on my router when the internet is down so I'll have home internet by way of the phone. I have an adapter on order now.

zgs

Aug 13, 2021
Visit site
As I stated in my original question, I also need the adapter so I can plug into security cameras at outdoor remote locations when there's a problem with them connecting to wifi or to troubleshoot other problems. Plugging a cable into it is the only way to figure out what's wrong if the wifi connection isn't there anymore. As for the router, being able to give the router internet means that everything connected to my router is restored, including two access points. That's a lot better than a mobile hotspot. The devices at your link is what I ordered. If you read the descriptions on them, they describe them as devices that provide internet from the RJ45 to the USB. I want to do the opposite. I want the USB on the phone to provide internet to the RJ45 jack. Someone else has assured me that it will work because they have done it when their internet was out.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, sorry for the misunderstanding. Not sure if this is possible, so I'll have to defer to anyone else who might have experience. Good luck!

zgs

Aug 13, 2021
Visit site
The app won't work if the camera doesn't know what wifi network to connect to. Once the wifi is lost, you have to plug in a cable to fix it with the app.

zgs

Aug 13, 2021
Visit site
Yes, I've used a "pocket router" or "travel router" but that requires an outdoor outlet and probably an extension cord. The phone adapter is the best and easiest. I don't need anything else with that.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The app won't work if the camera doesn't know what wifi network to connect to. Once the wifi is lost, you have to plug in a cable to fix it with the app.
Which WiFi camera you have?

My 2 work cameras run off the WiFi at work that comes with a app the i can connect anywhere with wifi or mobile data. The other 6 are wired to dvr which i can get anywhere with app.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I see now it uses one wire to transmit power and data little different from my set-up which has separate wire for power but this should have a app to remotely connect anywhere

HoosierDaddy

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I want the USB on the phone to provide internet to the RJ45 jack. Someone else has assured me that it will work because they have done it when their internet was out.
Please describe or link to what someone described. I realize you haven't confirmed yet.

zgs

Aug 13, 2021
Visit site
Do a search for USB-C to ethernet adapter. They range from about $10 to $20. I got mine yesterday and it works. There's lots of them at Amazon.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
So I just tried this at the office with a Cables-2-Go USB-C-to-Ethernet adapter and was successful, which surpised me. Settings-->Mobile Hotspot and Tethering-->Ethernet Tethering.
53bcc2e2201aad33b4f90f5c365ff3c8.jpg