My thoughts and impressions on the S20.

I_didnt_do_it

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
First and foremost, this thing is GORGEOUS. I got the cloud blue standard S20 and its one of my favorite smartphone colors to date. The display as per the usual for Samsung is outstanding, the super AMOLED is again a lively looking display. And with extremely minimal bezels, the screen looks super clean and fresh, even taking the top center hole punch for the front camera into consideration.

Performance wise, this thing blows just about all other smartphones I've had out of the water. I can even tell a difference over my S10. Absolutely no lagging or stuttering, and the 120Hz refresh rate makes for an extremely satisfying experience in terms of scrolling web pages, scrolling through the UI. IT IS SUPREMELY SMOOTH!!

The camera I haven't had a whole lot of chances yet to experiment with the various levels of zoom, but as just a point and shoot photo snapper, the image quality is exactly what we are accustomed from Samsung flagships. I did try out single take on my cat yesterday, and i thought that was a very interesting feature-- utilizing all the lenses to take images in one go, and even short videos. Quite impressive IMO to have that on the "base" model.

Battery life seems to be ok-- its nothing spectacular, but definitely is not bad-- even considering mine seems to not be utilizing the full 4000 mAh(see the post I made about my battery).

This is the most comfortable and easiest to handle of any smartphone Ive had since the S7. They somehow managed to put a 6.2 inch screen into a very manageable and even comfortable frame. I could tell a big difference vs my S10, S9+, and Note 8 when I have the phone in my pocket. Sometimes it even feels like its not in there. I even fell asleep with it in my pocket last night!!

The lack of a headphone jack is a bit of a bummer, but we pretty much knew a couple years ago Samsung was going to go this route soon anyway, so its not that big of a deal. The headphones that came in the box with the phone are sufficient enough to do for a while. Might pick up some galaxy buds on some holiday specials to free that USB port up, but it is fine for now.

I chose this over the more expensive S20+ and S20 Ultra because it is cheaper and has almost all the features the other two do. The + and ultra have a time of flight sensor, but that's no big deal to me, and I just don't see myself having practical use for the 100x zoom on the ultra model

I'll give this a 9.6/10 with the only knock being the mah available on the battery a bit lower than advertised on my particular unit, but that is no backbreaker by any means.

I am going to run it completely down to 0% today and then charge it up to 100%. After that I will take it off charge every night at 90% and make it a point to not allow it to dip.under 20% afterward. Save for the monthly or so full charge cycle for maintenance.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
First and foremost, this thing is GORGEOUS. I got the cloud blue standard S20 and its one of my favorite smartphone colors to date. The display as per the usual for Samsung is outstanding, the super AMOLED is again a lively looking display. And with extremely minimal bezels, the screen looks super clean and fresh, even taking the top center hole punch for the front camera into consideration.

Yes my s20+ was the only phone I couldn't put a case on. It just felt so premium naked. Got a scratch on the back because of using it naked though. But with a case, every phone feels the same.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I feel that the whole S20 series is brilliant even with any shortcomings that people like to bring up.

Agreed. Such a shame the early problems and insane pricing overshadowed the entire line. I went in with modest expectations, and ended up being really happy with this device.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Agreed. Such a shame the early problems and insane pricing overshadowed the entire line. I went in with modest expectations, and ended up being really happy with this device.
My only struggle is I miss the Spen even though I'm not a heavy Spen user. I have my Note 10+ as a secondary, mostly wifi device but often I'm finding myself wishing the Ultra had a pen. My plan is to trade in the Note for the Note 20 Ultra, but eventually I have to get out this two device system. If I didn't have an iPhone for work, I might feel different.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
My only struggle is I miss the Spen even though I'm not a heavy Spen user. I have my Note 10+ as a secondary, mostly wifi device but often I'm finding myself wishing the Ultra had a pen. My plan is to trade in the Note for the Note 20 Ultra, but eventually I have to get out this two device system. If I didn't have an iPhone for work, I might feel different.

I'm debating the same thing. I tend to get more attached to devices I love more than I use to (I'm still hanging on to my iPhone XS). But if the Note is able to perfect what I already like about this phone, I'm in. I'm a lite S-pen user that really wants a Fold 2, but we'll see.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I prefer the design of the s20 plus over the note 10. The note 10 plus was too boxy and squared off, made it less comfortable in the hand. I didn't like seeing that the note 20 will keep that same boxy design of the note 10.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae