Headphones muting/unmutimg low volume output

Hamptonoid

Jun 26, 2022
Visit site
Samsung S20FE, wired headphone with an in line mic. When I'm listening to music/video, and the sound is at a very quiet bit, the headphones mute/silence all output. Once the output volume goes up, they unmute. Its really annoying and sometimes the odd word etc. gets chopped off, and I can't find anyway of disabling this. Help gratefully appreciated!

Hamptonoid

Jun 26, 2022
Visit site
Cheers. I've tried 3 headphones, and the sound gets silenced when there is an in line mic. It's like a telecon setting where the line gets muted when the other person stops talking. You sometimes get this effect when speaking to a call center.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I made you the owner of the original guest post, to make it easier for you to find.

Are there any sound options in the system settings (or any 3rd party equalizer app that you might have installed) that has to do with dynamic sound?

Hamptonoid

Jun 26, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for the response, I'm normally fairly savvy with phones but this has me stumped. I'm pretty sure that I've looked through every option under "sound", "audio", "headphones" and "mic", and there's nothing that seems to fit. I can't even find any settings related to the microphone.
I don't have any additional equaliser apps.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
In the Sounds and Vibration system menu, go to Sound Quality and Effects. Is Adapt Sound turned on? Or Dolby Atmos? (I'm using my Galaxy A32 5G as a reference, not sure exactly which options you have on your S20 FE).

Also, in the Accessibility settings, is anything under Hearing Enhancements turned on?

Hamptonoid

Jun 26, 2022
Visit site
Adapt sound is off. Just switched off "dolby atmos for gaming", but it made no difference. Doesn't seem to be anything turned on under Hearing Enhancements.

Hamptonoid

Jun 26, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for the help dude. Yeah, it still does it in safe mode. I guess it has to be do with the mic as it doesn't happen with headphones that don't have a mic, but I can't see how to access microphone settings

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Interesting -- what brand and model are the earphones? Are they specifically "Made for iPhone", or universally compatible?

Hamptonoid

Jun 26, 2022
Visit site
AKG Y50, so universal. Connects via a 3.5mm jack into a USB converter. The cable is replaceable, so if I can't bottom it out I'll look to buy a new cable without the inline mic.

Hamptonoid

Jun 26, 2022
Visit site
I would get higher quality one i think worth a try

That could be right. OK, here's the plan - I've ordered a replacement cable without mic, as that'll always come in handy. If that's no good then I'll upgrade the dongle. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers for the help - really appreciated. At least I know that I wasn't missing something obvious!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That could be right. OK, here's the plan - I've ordered a replacement cable without mic, as that'll always come in handy. If that's no good then I'll upgrade the dongle. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers for the help - really appreciated. At least I know that I wasn't missing something obvious!
Sometimes can be simple things but definitely keep us posted

Hamptonoid

Jun 26, 2022
Visit site
Pretty sure it's the dongle - I remembered that I have kids, and they also have phones that have usb and 3.5 mm jack connections. I only get the issue when I use the dongle on their phones.

Thanks for the help - solution is to not be such a tight @r$e!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Pretty sure it's the dongle - I remembered that I have kids, and they also have phones that have usb and 3.5 mm jack connections. I only get the issue when I use the dongle on their phones.

Thanks for the help - solution is to not be such a tight @r$e!
Great