Is the 5G models worth considering now in 2020?

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Being on ATT in the SF Bay Area and considering the S20 but is the 5G version worth the hype in 2020? I know the carriers are investing a lot in 5g, especially marketing but how much more is it going to cost and is it better, I know it's faster but if coverage isn't there it's useless.

Kilroy672

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
I agree! Even though they will ship in countries that are not 5G ready but will still charge that premium

There's supposed to ship 4G LTE versions to countries that doesn't support 5G yet. And I'm sure that most of the United States doesn't support 5G yet but yet that's all they're going to ship us so they can make the extra money.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
There's supposed to ship 4G LTE versions to countries that doesn't support 5G yet. And I'm sure that most of the United States doesn't support 5G yet but yet that's all they're going to ship us so they can make the extra money.
How much is 5G adding to the cost?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
How much is 5G adding to the cost?
I haven't compared plans myself, but I seem to remember that at least some carriers require you to pay a premium for 5G service if the phone was 5G capable, regardless if you wanted the 5G service or if it was even available to you yet (meaning paying extra for literally nothing).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
AT&T "5G", so far, is 4G evolution - they're calling it 5Ge (it's 4G with MIMO support and fiber optic backhauls). But it still works with 4G phones, it doesn't use 5G (and it doesn't use mm frequencies - which are two totally separate things; limited coverage is due to mm, not to 5G - TMobile's 600MHz 5G has the same coverage as their 4G signals did from the same towers).

https://www.androidcentral.com/expl...-sub-6-low-band-and-other-terms-you-need-know has a pretty good (and a bit long) explanation of the whole thing as the situation sits currently. (It could change at any time.)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I haven't compared plans myself, but I seem to remember that at least some carriers require you to pay a premium for 5G service if the phone was 5G capable, regardless if you wanted the 5G service or if it was even available to you yet (meaning paying extra for literally nothing).
I was referring specifically to the device cost but that's a good point. Not sure how they would enforce that with unlocked models, but then again if I were buying something 5G capable I would want the feature enabled.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
What 5g bands will the S20 support? Will it support SA? Will AT&T and T-Mobile’s variants support both mmwave and low band or just the latter? Thanks

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
5G is everywhere with T-Mobile, but it's the 600MHz band. But I agree, 5G right now is kind of worthless. In a year from now, it may be great. I'm irritated that they're using the 5G modems to justify the price hikes. I won't be purchasing an S20, at least not on day 1 if I do decide. I'm looking more forward to the Note 11 (or 20 if they're keeping the same naming scheme). And I won't buy that on day 1 either because we all know Samsung reduces the price 2 months later.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
AT&T "5G", so far, is 4G evolution - they're calling it 5Ge (it's 4G with MIMO support and fiber optic backhauls). But it still works with 4G phones, it doesn't use 5G (and it doesn't use mm frequencies - which are two totally separate things; limited coverage is due to mm, not to 5G - TMobile's 600MHz 5G has the same coverage as their 4G signals did from the same towers).

https://www.androidcentral.com/expl...-sub-6-low-band-and-other-terms-you-need-know has a pretty good (and a bit long) explanation of the whole thing as the situation sits currently. (It could change at any time.)

AT&T actually does have real 5G now. It's low band and not available in many cities, but they do have it.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I think if you plan on keeping a phone 2 years or more 5G may be worth it. Buying 5G and trading up next year is probably overkill

T-Mobile is really the only carrier I see as worth spending more on a 5G phone. Their 5G is pretty far along. Even if it's low band 5G, there are still some advantages. I wouldn't bother with worrying about mmwave yet though.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
The short answer is no. How would it serve you having (limited) 5g? Will you really notice the difference in your everyday phone usage?

pgg101

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Being on ATT in the SF Bay Area and considering the S20 but is the 5G version worth the hype in 2020? I know the carriers are investing a lot in 5g, especially marketing but how much more is it going to cost and is it better, I know it's faster but if coverage isn't there it's useless.

Not really. I'm mostly on Wi-Fi vs anyways unless I'm in the car. 4G is good to stream my tunes. I'll wait for the tech to get cheaper. I just place my order today for the P 4xl.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
The short answer is no. How would it serve you having (limited) 5g? Will you really notice the difference in your everyday phone usage?

I didn't when I was using the OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren Edition. Sure, I got speeds that were twice as fast as normal (70Mbps vs 140Mbps), but on the grand scheme of things, I didn't notice any difference in my day-to-day use.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I didn't when I was using the OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren Edition. Sure, I got speeds that were twice as fast as normal (70Mbps vs 140Mbps), but on the grand scheme of things, I didn't notice any difference in my day-to-day use.

I had the note 10 5g and got same speeds as on 4g. Glad I was just testing it out. I might try out the ultra on T-Mobile or AT&T (if At&t allows consumers to use mm wave in my area and not just businesses)