Verizon vs Unlocked

Beth Hahn

Feb 28, 2018
Visit site
Following. I'm in the same boat. Can't decide myself. I believe you lose Verizon video calling which I do use but there's other options like duo. I think wifi calling will still work. I'm not sure about visual voice mail or hd calling.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
On Verizon and T-Mobile most carrier features work on US unlocked model. The update situation has also improved on the unlocked models. Overall I suggest buying the unlocked model. Personally I'm not touching the carrier models even if they give it to me free but I'm weird

Last edited:

Beth Hahn

Feb 28, 2018
Visit site
On Verizon and T-Mobile most carrier features work on US unlocked model. The update situation has also improved on the unlocked models. Overall I suggest buying the unlocked model. Personally I'm not touching the carrier models even if they give it to me free but I'm weird

I've never had an unlocked version so I'm curious how it differs. Plus I can always flash it and make it a Verizon version if I choose to

Beth Hahn

Feb 28, 2018
Visit site
I’ve always used unlocked I have my iPhone and my Note10+ both unlocked on Verizon...all works perfectly

Were you able to get insurance on the unlocked phone? I don't usually bother with insurance but only for the first few months I get the new phone.

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
Were you able to get insurance on the unlocked phone? I don't usually bother with insurance but only for the first few months I get the new phone.

My iPhone has insurance through Apple .. I bought the Note from Samsung directly I don’t have insurance but I believe you can get it from Samsung ..I’m not sure I would think you could add it on your Verizon plan ...

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
This is the insurance you can get with Samsung on checkout ... I've never used them maybe some here can chime in if they have experience
90ffcf6c875f50e480cd9a5abd26916f.jpg

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I would always get the unlocked through Samsung. You will get security updates on the first day of the month. Then you will will not get the extra bloat apps that come on the Verizon (and all carriers) phones. You can always add Square Trade or other insurance to any phone.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

WiFi calling didn’t used to work with unlocked phones on Verizon. So this has changed now? I’m going unlocked myself as I can’t stand being beholden to a carrier.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
WiFi calling didn’t used to work with unlocked phones on Verizon. So this has changed now? I’m going unlocked myself as I can’t stand being beholden to a carrier.
Yes it's changed now. On Verizon, WiFi calling works on Samsung US unlocked phones and Pixels. I can't remember if it changed with S10 or from Note 10 onwards but it works now. If my memory serves correct it's from S10 series onwards.

Source: I'm using US unlocked Note 10 on Verizon now and works perfectly.

Last edited:

Beth Hahn

Feb 28, 2018
Visit site
Yes it's changed now. On Verizon, WiFi calling works on Samsung US unlocked phones and Pixels. I can't remember if it changed with S10 or from Note 10 onwards but it works now. If my memory serves correct it's from S10 series onwards.

Source: I'm using US unlocked Note 10 on Verizon now and works perfectly.

Does the phone still have video calling in the dialer?

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I go with the carrier version for discounts, which doesn't seem to be available right now.

Note 9 is still my newest phone, got it for $600 new if I factor in bill credits, much better than shelling out $1000 up front for the unlocked model just to avoid having 2 or 3 apps I don't want on the phone.

Just my opinion.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the fence to go with Verizon or unlocked if I decide to go with the S20+. Video calling comes in handy sometimes but I don't think it works with unlocked devices.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I go with the carrier version for discounts, which doesn't seem to be available right now.

Note 9 is still my newest phone, got it for $600 new if I factor in bill credits, much better than shelling out $1000 up front for the unlocked model just to avoid having 2 or 3 apps I don't want on the phone.

Just my opinion.
I kindda like buying direct from Samsung get the credit right there and then with your trade in and pay the difference plus their free gifts .

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
What's this video calling, carrier video calling? I use Duo or Whatsapp or messenger and never bothered with whatever Samsung or Verizon or some carrier puts. Personally I use multiple devices across many platforms and have friends/family who use different carriers/platforms and so only like to use something which works on any device/carrier/platform.

Probably I have never seen it because I never own a carrier device

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I kindda like buying direct from Samsung get the credit right there and then with your trade in and pay the difference plus their free gifts .
Agreed, simple and straight forward. Also like how they charge tax on the reduced price after trade in and additional work/student discount. Best buy/Microsoft/Amazon or others need to have a crazy offer in order for me to buy my unlocked device from them instead of Samsung.

uvarules

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I've had unlocked on VZ for both the S9 and now my S10. Wifi calling can be enabled/disabled on the S10 ( i.e. there is an actual toggle for it in Settings). I'm not sure what a previous poster indicated about "flashing" the phone. Sure you can root it if you want, but why? To put VZs bloatware back on the phone? Each time I've received my new unlocked phone, I take the VZ sim out of the old phone, put in the new one, and I am up and running in less than 60 seconds on the VZ network. Google automatically begins restoring my contacts, the APP Store knows every app I had on my old phone and I can actually use this moment not to add back anything I really didn't use before. I did add a Voice Mail app, but that was the only change from a locked phone.

Buying an unlocked phone is not rocket science and I was certainly nervous the first time a couple of years ago. The sim card controls network access and technically if you had accounts and sim cards from VZ, ATT and T-MO you could just bounce between carriers all day long by swapping out cards on an unlocked phone.

I'm not sure there are any big revelations using unlocked vs locked, I just like the "perception" of freedom to able to switch carriers and the lack of VZ bloatware.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Following. I'm in the same boat. Can't decide myself. I believe you lose Verizon video calling which I do use but there's other options like duo. I think wifi calling will still work. I'm not sure about visual voice mail or hd calling.
WIFI calling works and Samsung has the own version of visual voicemail. I believe you activate it when you receive the first voicemail but maybe @mustang7757 can chime in and confirm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87