Save big + get 3 months free! Sign up for ExpressVPN today

Can wallpapers create burn in?
    03-09-2020 07:37 PM
    Any static image on an AMOLED screen can cause burn in. How soon that happens depends on how long the image is there and screen brightness. The less time the screen remains static and the lower the brightness, the longer it takes to burn in. If you change it up often, then you may not have any before you get another phone.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-09-2020 08:02 PM
    I don't keep my phones much longer than 7 months, but I've never experienced burn in with all of the phones I've had and I've had every Samsung flagship since the S5.
    WizeGuyDezignz likes this.
    03-09-2020 09:37 PM
    Can wallpapers create burn in?
    Could it happen?....yes
    Is it likely?.... No but it depends on what it is and what brightness level you use. Darker wallpapers have less risk.
    kct1975 likes this.
    03-10-2020 04:25 AM
    On my Note 10+ I was using this HUGE clock. Wonder if this would cause burn in after extended use?

Wallpaper burn in?-flmwvnbm.jpg
    03-10-2020 08:21 AM
    I wouldn't think anybody would be on their home screen long enough to get burn-in. Usually it's images from the status or navigation bars that folks report burn-in.
    bigslam123 likes this.
    03-10-2020 09:23 AM
    I wouldn't think anybody would be on their home screen long enough to get burn-in. Usually it's images from the status or navigation bars that folks report burn-in.
    If you do a lot of messaging and such, it can be easy to burn in your keyboard too.
    03-10-2020 09:34 AM
    My son and I both had S8s, and after just about 9 months, my screen starting showing a slight shadow of my home screen bottom dock icons. Then, I dropped the thing and shattered the screen.

My son constantly played a game so much that the screen developed a pink tint (the game had a primarily green background), and a hard shadow of several stationary game icons that can be seen even on a dark gray solid background.

We both upgraded to S9s. His screen had edge cracks, but still worked. Now it's the "house" phone. Mine is trash.

So far, after another year on the S9, burn-in seems to be less problematic. Maybe Samsung changed the OLED formula a bit. Just speculation of course.
    03-10-2020 09:39 AM
    Any static image on an AMOLED screen can cause burn in.
    It's not just AMOLED. Almost all the old CRT mainframe monitors currently have severe burn-in. AMOLED is just more likely to have burn-in than TFT.
    03-11-2020 02:58 PM
    It's not just AMOLED. Almost all the old CRT mainframe monitors currently have severe burn-in. AMOLED is just more likely to have burn-in than TFT.
    Last I checked, there are no CRT display phones. Lol
    03-11-2020 03:29 PM
    That wasn't the point - all displays burn in - eventually. No one ever noticed burn-in on a CRT TV, but no one ever ran a static picture on a CRT TV 24/7. But TFT displays burn in, IPS displays burn in, they all do. Some take longer, AMOLED burns in about the fastest.
    03-11-2020 05:19 PM
    If you keep your phone brightness down and take care of your device accordingly, it is unlikely that you will experience burn-in. But that's also why you can opt for device protection/insurance! Try not to worry!
    03-11-2020 06:19 PM
    That wasn't the point - all displays burn in - eventually. No one ever noticed burn-in on a CRT TV, but no one ever ran a static picture on a CRT TV 24/7. But TFT displays burn in, IPS displays burn in, they all do. Some take longer, AMOLED burns in about the fastest.
    AFAIK technically LCDs don't burn in. The liquid crystal gets frozen in a configuration for some reason which results to what looks like burn in. Also I think this could be fixed.
    03-11-2020 06:54 PM
    AFAIK technically LCDs don't burn in. The liquid crystal gets frozen in a configuration for some reason which results to what looks like burn in. Also I think this could be fixed.
    Correct, that's image retention. Even that is virtually unheard of in the phone market. The LG V20 is the only one I've heard of, but that seemed to be a software issue more than anything. On a larger scale, airports have moved from OLED panels back to regular LCD TV's due to their lack of burn in (and these run 24/7 with static images much of the time).

But the original topic was specific to one display type, and how I originally answered. Not sure where LCD's or CRT's even fit into it.
    03-11-2020 09:03 PM
    i'll just say this. i've been consumed by fears of burn in for my entire life with these smartphones. obsessed actually. they've just about all ended up being amoled screens. in my wise old age i've come to 2 conclusions. 1. i dont think it's much of an issue in normal every day use. perhaps it's specifically how i use my phones (i like very low brightness), but i've never once seen burn in, and i check regularly lol. 2. i don't typically keep the phones that long anyway. the last one was the all time record (pixel xl, 2 years).

on a related side note, my wife's phones show burn in fairly regularly. she keeps her brightness at full blast 100% 24/7
    03-12-2020 10:22 AM
    i'll just say this. i've been consumed by fears of burn in for my entire life with these smartphones. obsessed actually. they've just about all ended up being amoled screens. in my wise old age i've come to 2 conclusions. 1. i dont think it's much of an issue in normal every day use. perhaps it's specifically how i use my phones (i like very low brightness), but i've never once seen burn in, and i check regularly lol. 2. i don't typically keep the phones that long anyway. the last one was the all time record (pixel xl, 2 years).

on a related side note, my wife's phones show burn in fairly regularly. she keeps her brightness at full blast 100% 24/7
    I leave mine on auto brightness , run 100% brightness 24/7 something going happen.
    03-12-2020 10:25 AM
    exactly, that's my point. don't use the phone like a crazy person and you dont have to worry about burn in at all
    mustang7757 likes this.
    03-12-2020 10:26 AM
    It's funny that burn-in is still something that's talked about on Android. Apple is on it's 3rd generation of OLED screens and they've somehow found a way to make burn-in non-existent on it's devices, why has Samsung (Who makes Apple's screens) not adopted the same for their devices.
    03-12-2020 10:27 AM
    I have a dark wallpaper on top of a dark theme. I worry about burn in, especially with my Google search bar widget.
    03-20-2020 09:51 PM
    Apple is on it's 3rd generation of OLED screens and they've somehow found a way to make burn-in non-existent on it's devices...
    A simple search for "iPhone screen burn in" suggests otherwise.
    03-20-2020 10:04 PM
    A simple search for "iPhone screen burn in" suggests otherwise.
    But, on an iPhone, it's a "feature" ...
    03-20-2020 10:48 PM
    No one ever noticed burn-in on a CRT TV, but no one ever ran a static picture on a CRT TV 24/7.
    Tell that to someone like me who owns 80s arcade games, lol.
    Mooncatt likes this.
    03-21-2020 08:13 AM
    Never had burn in before, had my S7 for three years. I typically leave my screen brightness in the screenshot below unless I'm outdoors in bright sunlight but the screen is used in much shorter bursts in bright sunlight.

However, I am using my smartphone more and more for web browsing over using my PC so I wonder if burn in will be more of a threat now? I guess time will tell.
    Attached Thumbnails Wallpaper burn in?-screenshot_20200321-091746_chrome.jpg  
    03-21-2020 08:23 AM
    Last week something happened to my Note 9, a burned rectangle appeared in the middle of the screen, restarted it several times, changed settings, etc. Nothing fixed that.

Then did some research and it looks like was caused by the dark theme, so I changed everything to white, the theme, keyboard, apps, removed the always On display and edge notifications, left the phone without charging for a day and problem was fixed. Weird.
    04-12-2020 11:00 AM