06-30-2020 07:55 PM
69 123
tools
    Boy, I hope the redesign/rumored renders of the Note 20+ camera lense cover fixes whatever is the issue on these Ultras.

Maybe those metal rings around the lenses help or something.

The repair place said they are getting A LOT of them in for this problem. I told them I needed a receipt because this is going to end up being a recall or a class action. Contacting BBB is next.
    06-18-2020 01:24 PM
    I remember there being a lot of this happening with the LG V20 as well. Sometimes glass is 'too' tough and can fracture or crack with just the right conditions being met.

That being said, I try to reduce the chances by using a case that significantly protects the lenses, typically by recessing the lens area, but also keeping the screen off of flat surfaces without much bulk at all. Sorry you and others have experienced this, to say the least.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-18-2020 02:37 PM
    Even though on Samsung's own Community forum they have a post going 39 pages of people discussing cracked lens covers.

Boy they really must believe a lot of people are lying lol

It is an odd issue though.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/...154527/page/38
    I'm well aware of the issue. 39 pages doesn't equal 39 cases and it doesn't change my statement. We have no way of knowing how they cracked. This is not a new issue for OEMs.
    06-18-2020 04:53 PM
    I remember there being a lot of this happening with the LG V20 as well. Sometimes glass is 'too' tough and can fracture or crack with just the right conditions being met.

That being said, I try to reduce the chances by using a case that significantly protects the lenses, typically by recessing the lens area, but also keeping the screen off of flat surfaces without much bulk at all. Sorry you and others have experienced this, to say the least.
    It happened to me on the G5 but not the V20. I don't know how mine broke but truth is it takes very little pressure to crack the cover lenses. At the time something could have rubbed up against it. I was lucky on the G5 because I removed the glass without taking it apart and put a new lens on from the rear. I remember at the time searching for lenses on eBay and you would not believe how many replacement lenses are sold on eBay for a lot of devices.
    06-18-2020 05:00 PM
    It happened to me on the G5 but not the V20. I don't know how mine broke but truth is it takes very little pressure to crack the cover lenses. At the time something could have rubbed up against it. I was lucky on the G5 because I removed the glass without taking it apart and put a new lens on from the rear. I remember at the time searching for lenses on eBay and you would not believe how many replacement lenses are sold on eBay for a lot of devices.
    No real surprise, being into these phones for so many years, the level of damages I've seen done is stunning, from time to time.

As for the V20, the reports I saw actually stopped me from going to that as an update, back when it was the new phone on the scene. I'd ordered new cases for my ex and myself, and then canceled making the jump, while in the parking lot of Best Buy. It was that close.
    06-18-2020 06:04 PM
    Oh I know 39 pages doesn't equal 39 cases... There are actually 10 posts/replies per page!!

So, if every post per page had a cracked lens... times 39... carry the one... plug it into the pathagoreon therom... lemme get my calculator... ...

Uh... it could equal to 39 maybe.

I didn't really count how many posts but skimming through it you can find many many pages with at least one new person saying... "me too."

Anyways, I know not a new issue. Just interesting months later the thread still alive. I mean a quirk issue, it would have died long ago. And it's not like you see posts about "Pity me please, I dropped my phone and cracked my back glass"... So consistent any cracked posts you see is with the camera lens.

It could be people are dropping them but we are seeing that huge piece of lens cover is such a weak point. I shudder to think what will happen when Samsung goes 6 camera system and take up basically the top half of the phone sticking out 1/2 inch because they are going 150 mp sensor lol.

https://twitter.com/letsgodigitalNL/...940530178?s=20

I just hope Samsung is reading these claims by people and posts and taking a good look at it. I don't need them to admit they found something defective... I know they won't admit it. Just that if they did find something, they learn from it and make sure it not let it happen on the Note 20+

I'm well aware of the issue. 39 pages doesn't equal 39 cases and it doesn't change my statement. We have no way of knowing how they cracked. This is not a new issue for OEMs.
    06-18-2020 06:13 PM
    Oh I know 39 pages doesn't equal 39 cases... There are actually 10 posts/replies per page!!

So, if every post per page had a cracked lens... times 39... carry the one... plug it into the pathagoreon therom... lemme get my calculator... ...

Uh... it could equal to 39 maybe.

I didn't really count how many posts but skimming through it you can find many many pages with at least one new person saying... "me too."

Anyways, I know not a new issue. Just interesting months later the thread still alive. I mean a quirk issue, it would have died long ago. And it's not like you see posts about "Pity me please, I dropped my phone and cracked my back glass"... So consistent any cracked posts you see is with the camera lens.

It could be people are dropping them but we are seeing that huge piece of lens cover is such a weak point. I shudder to think what will happen when Samsung goes 6 camera system and take up basically the top half of the phone sticking out 1/2 inch because they are going 150 mp sensor lol.

https://twitter.com/letsgodigitalNL/...940530178?s=20

I just hope Samsung is reading these claims by people and posts and taking a good look at it. I don't need them to admit they found something defective... I know they won't admit it. Just that if they did find something, they learn from it and make sure it not let it happen on the Note 20+
    Even a quirk issue doesn't die but it was pretty much dead here. It doesn't require dropping and these lens covers are more vunerable than anyone can imagine. The slightest pressure against these lens cover by an object like a coin or a key is all it takes to crack a lens cover. The bigger the lens the higher the seceptibility to cracking for a variety of reasons.
    06-18-2020 08:49 PM
    06-20-2020 01:51 PM
    Someone in that thread also has a broken lens on a Fold. This is nothing new for Samsung and other OEMs. Do a search here and you'll find plenty of issues with other devices including prior Samsungs.

Here's one of the longer of several threads for the LG V20.
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=763334

That's not to say that something shouldn't be done about preventing this because the glass is fragile, especially on the larger ones and they make a bigger target.
    06-20-2020 02:38 PM
    Understood, cracked lenses can happen and as shown happen in different models because of large lense covers and such... but you know when it happens on one particular model and happens frequently... do you know what that's called?? A design defect.

We're talking spontaneous cracking of the lens. This is looking more and more like a design defect.

Let's just hope they figured out what caused it to happen on this model and implement a design change to avoid it in future models... especially the Note 20+

This is not a common thing that you just say "It happens on all phones with large lens covers"... no it doesn't happen on all phones as often as being reported now on a phone that's only 6 months old. It shouldn't happen if designed correctly. If it happened on the V20 like it did here... then it was a design defect there too.

Something that I have no problem in discussing about and keeping an active issue to see if this is a real real issue. Because I don't want to see this kind of defect in their future models. If anything we are helping them figure out if this is a real issue and if so that they learn. It's just unfortunate here the people that have to deal having a cracked lense... and probably get screwed because Samsung will probably brush this under the rug unless they get too much heat from this. That's just how companies do it.

BTW... page 40 on that post in the Samsung Community?? 3 people reporting having it... on one page.

Someone in that thread also has a broken lens on a Fold. This is nothing new for Samsung and other OEMs. Do a search here and you'll find plenty of issues with other devices including prior Samsungs.

Here's one of the longer of several threads for the LG V20.
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=763334

That's not to say that something shouldn't be done about preventing this because the glass is fragile, especially on the larger ones and they make a bigger target.
    06-20-2020 03:59 PM
    Understood, cracked lenses can happen and as shown happen in different models because of large lense covers and such... but you know when it happens on one particular model and happens frequently... do you know what that's called?? A design defect.

We're talking spontaneous cracking of the lens. This is looking more and more like a design defect.

Let's just hope they figured out what caused it to happen on this model and implement a design change to avoid it in future models... especially the Note 20+

This is not a common thing that you just say "It happens on all phones with large lens covers"... no it doesn't happen on all phones as often as being reported now on a phone that's only 6 months old. It shouldn't happen if designed correctly. If it happened on the V20 like it did here... then it was a design defect there too.

Something that I have no problem in discussing about and keeping an active issue to see if this is a real real issue. Because I don't want to see this kind of defect in their future models. If anything we are helping them figure out if this is a real issue and if so that they learn. It's just unfortunate here the people that have to deal having a cracked lense... and probably get screwed because Samsung will probably brush this under the rug unless they get too much heat from this. That's just how companies do it.

BTW... page 40 on that post in the Samsung Community?? 3 people reporting having it... on one page.
    You make a good point, but unless we see 50 % people having this issue I don't think Samsung will do much.
    06-20-2020 04:19 PM
    I agree. Just have to hope they figured it out and made the change in future models or often they make adjustments on the line if still in production and not tell us because it happened in a small amount. Who knows... this problem may have already gone away but we'll only see it pop up from owners that had earlier builds.

I've worked in tech and product development and release and support for a long time... really seeing it when I was part of the Raleigh group with IBM on their ThinkPad products. Probably where I learned to be leary of buying first run products lol. So I guess I always get interested when I smell an issue. Kinda fun as a techy to dive into it. Last time this happened, I was days from buying a Note 7 and knee deep in the battery burning discussion.

You make a good point, but unless we see 50 % people having this issue I don't think Samsung will do much.
    06-20-2020 04:38 PM

It happened on the LG G5 also and that happened to me. At the time I had no idea how it happened, but I can't say for sure that it happened by itself. The problem is we don't know if it's spontaneous breakage even on the ones that say it was because they think it was or how many are customer neglect.
    06-20-2020 04:50 PM
    Exactly. For anyone who believes this is limited to the Ultra. Just do a search on eBay from Samsung camera glass. They sell tons of replacement lenses for many different models.
    A Google search for S10 cracked lens will also yield results on Samsung and Reddit forums.
    06-20-2020 04:56 PM
    I agree. Just have to hope they figured it out and made the change in future models or often they make adjustments on the line if still in production and not tell us because it happened in a small amount. Who knows... this problem may have already gone away but we'll only see it pop up from owners that had earlier builds.

I've worked in tech and product development and release and support for a long time... really seeing it when I was part of the Raleigh group with IBM on their ThinkPad products. Probably where I learned to be leary of buying first run products lol. So I guess I always get interested when I smell an issue. Kinda fun as a techy to dive into it. Last time this happened, I was days from buying a Note 7 and knee deep in the battery burning discussion.
    It happened on the LG G5 also and that happened to me. At the time I had no idea how it happened, but I can't say for sure that it happened by itself. The problem is we don't know if it's spontaneous breakage even on the ones that say it was because they think it was or how many are customer neglect.
    Let's just hope they learn from these and make better quality going forward
    06-20-2020 04:58 PM
    Let's just hope they learn from these and make better quality going forward
    These lenses on devices are thin. A friend of mine who works for Verizon tested a bunch of devices that were DOA returns about 4 years ago. Everyone one he tested models from 4 or 5 brands broke with very little pressure. The ones with the largest lenses were easiest.
    06-20-2020 05:12 PM
    Well, my back camera, which had some scratches since first purchasing it in March, finally ended up cracking in the upper left hand corner today. Extremely disappointed to spend $1400 on a phone and have such thin glass put on the camera.

On the phone with Samsung customer service and they aren't being very helpful. My biggest concern is whether this will void my ability to trade the phone in, when the new 21 line comes out next spring.

I also am concerned that Samsung isn't fixing this issue with future phones they are manufacturing.

Anyone with any advice on how to proceed? I took very good care of this phone since the first day of purchase, putting it in a case the day I got it. Also installed a Whitestone Dome screen protector the day I got it. About a month ago I even put a protector on the back camera area that I purchased from Zagg.
    06-30-2020 05:03 PM
    Well, my back camera, which had some scratches since first purchasing it in March, finally ended up cracking in the upper left hand corner today. Extremely disappointed to spend $1400 on a phone and have such thin glass put on the camera.

On the phone with Samsung customer service and they aren't being very helpful. My biggest concern is whether this will void my ability to trade the phone in, when the new 21 line comes out next spring.

I also am concerned that Samsung isn't fixing this issue with future phones they are manufacturing.

Anyone with any advice on how to proceed? I took very good care of this phone since the first day of purchase, putting it in a case the day I got it. Also installed a Whitestone Dome screen protector the day I got it. About a month ago I even put a protector on the back camera area that I purchased from Zagg.
    These horror stories are terrifying. It was scratched out of the box?
    06-30-2020 07:23 PM
    These horror stories are terrifying. It was scratched out of the box?
    It was not scratched out of the box, no.

I was skeptical when I first read the posts about this happening to people's phones, thinking they might be exaggerating their claims.

After experiencing what I have and seeing it for myself I can tell you there is a design flaw with the glass on the camera module of the S20 Ultra. Noticed the scratches the first couple of weeks. Now I have the crack/bullet hole everyone is describing and showing in pictures.

Have been a very loyal Samsung customer, even through the Note 7 disaster. It is hard to continue to support them when they aren't taking ownership for this flaw in such an expensive phone. Severely disappointed.

Talked with another customer support representative today, in the tech support department. These seem to be the only reps you can speak with, as their research and development team doesn't interact with the public.
    06-30-2020 07:55 PM
69 123