Slight crack on Camera glass above the Flash, S20 Ultra.

criminal_bg

Jul 12, 2019
Visit site
Customer zero where?

i'm jus making a reference to when there is like an outbreak or pandemic, they call the first person to get sick patient zero, so seeing the op posting about the issue when no one would hav thought it would happen to others, i jus decided to call them customer zero.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
i'm jus making a reference to when there is like an outbreak or pandemic, they call the first person to get sick patient zero, so seeing the op posting about the issue when no one would hav thought it would happen to others, i jus decided to call them customer zero.
Got ya....I think here you may be correct but I'm sure there were cases out there....lol

Last edited:

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Wow, Just checking on the Samsung Community post because I was reading a crazy post about Samsung's new lens cover where there was a report of... the cover (?!!) ... causing cracks to see if people were reporting cracking camera covers still... And the thread has gone from 12 pages over a week ago... to 24 pages and people still posting of their lens covers cracking. :eek:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...r-camera-glass-s20-ultra/td-p/1154527/page/24

Wow ridiculous that this happening on a $1400 and of course Sʌᴍsᴜɴɢ not taking responsibility.

Where’s the unbox therapy video on this!? If iPhones were doing this there would be like 10 “camera gate” videos by now.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Wow ridiculous that this happening on a $1400 and of course Sʌᴍsᴜɴɢ not taking responsibility.

Where’s the unbox therapy video on this!? If iPhones were doing this there would be like 10 “camera gate” videos by now.

I don't see what Unbox Therapy has to do with this. The reference to Apple just turns the conversation into an Apple verses Android competition and this is not about that. If this is indeed an issue as some have stated no OEM is immune from criticism.

Last edited:

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't see what Unbox Therapy has to do with this. The reference to Apple just turns the conversation into an Apple verses Android competition and this is not about that. If this is indeed an issue as some have stated no OEM is immune from criticism.

Because Unbox Therapy always posts some stupid video when something he thinks is wrong with the iPhone like “beautygate” or “chargegate” and makes a big deal out of nothing. But something like this which is huge no YouTuber calls out sʌᴍsᴜɴɢ.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Because Unbox Therapy always posts some stupid video when something he thinks is wrong with the iPhone like “beautygate” or “chargegate” and makes a big deal out of nothing. But something like this which is huge no YouTuber calls out sʌᴍsᴜɴɢ.

I think it's a bit premature for Lew Later to go that route until it's confirmed there's an issue. The same thing happened with the LG V20 and it turned out to be nothing. Yes, there is certainly a big opportunity for the camera to be damaged because of the design, but I'm not convinced it's all spontaneous breakage.

Last edited:

luke z

Jun 18, 2020
Visit site
I bought my phone 5 weeks ago. It has NEVER been dropped, and has a hairline crack across the glass camera module. Samsung claims all defects like this are the customers fault, basically claiming that there is no chance that it was damaged in manufacture or shipping. Which is ridiculous. For all I know it came with the crack, you can only see it on close inspection in the right light. It's costing me $109 to fix, but they guarantee watertight(they even test it). Then this phone is going on ebay. Anyone want a S20 Ultra 5G for $1200?

Luke

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I bought my phone 5 weeks ago. It has NEVER been dropped, and has a hairline crack across the glass camera module. Samsung claims all defects like this are the customers fault, basically claiming that there is no chance that it was damaged in manufacture or shipping. Which is ridiculous. For all I know it came with the crack, you can only see it on close inspection in the right light. It's costing me $109 to fix, but they guarantee watertight(they even test it). Then this phone is going on ebay. Anyone want a S20 Ultra 5G for $1200?

Luke
The problem right off the bat is that's it's impossible to prove where and when it happened so Samsung or any OEM is going to assume customer damage.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

luke z

Jun 18, 2020
Visit site
The repair place said they are getting A LOT of them in for this problem. I told them I needed a receipt because this is going to end up being a recall or a class action. Contacting BBB is next.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Boy, I hope the redesign/rumored renders of the Note 20+ camera lense cover fixes whatever is the issue on these Ultras.

Maybe those metal rings around the lenses help or something. :p

The repair place said they are getting A LOT of them in for this problem. I told them I needed a receipt because this is going to end up being a recall or a class action. Contacting BBB is next.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I remember there being a lot of this happening with the LG V20 as well. Sometimes glass is 'too' tough and can fracture or crack with just the right conditions being met.

That being said, I try to reduce the chances by using a case that significantly protects the lenses, typically by recessing the lens area, but also keeping the screen off of flat surfaces without much bulk at all. Sorry you and others have experienced this, to say the least.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Even though on Samsung's own Community forum they have a post going 39 pages of people discussing cracked lens covers.

Boy they really must believe a lot of people are lying lol

It is an odd issue though.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...r-camera-glass-s20-ultra/td-p/1154527/page/38
I'm well aware of the issue. 39 pages doesn't equal 39 cases and it doesn't change my statement. We have no way of knowing how they cracked. This is not a new issue for OEMs.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I remember there being a lot of this happening with the LG V20 as well. Sometimes glass is 'too' tough and can fracture or crack with just the right conditions being met.

That being said, I try to reduce the chances by using a case that significantly protects the lenses, typically by recessing the lens area, but also keeping the screen off of flat surfaces without much bulk at all. Sorry you and others have experienced this, to say the least.
It happened to me on the G5 but not the V20. I don't know how mine broke but truth is it takes very little pressure to crack the cover lenses. At the time something could have rubbed up against it. I was lucky on the G5 because I removed the glass without taking it apart and put a new lens on from the rear. I remember at the time searching for lenses on eBay and you would not believe how many replacement lenses are sold on eBay for a lot of devices.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
It happened to me on the G5 but not the V20. I don't know how mine broke but truth is it takes very little pressure to crack the cover lenses. At the time something could have rubbed up against it. I was lucky on the G5 because I removed the glass without taking it apart and put a new lens on from the rear. I remember at the time searching for lenses on eBay and you would not believe how many replacement lenses are sold on eBay for a lot of devices.

No real surprise, being into these phones for so many years, the level of damages I've seen done is stunning, from time to time.

As for the V20, the reports I saw actually stopped me from going to that as an update, back when it was the new phone on the scene. I'd ordered new cases for my ex and myself, and then canceled making the jump, while in the parking lot of Best Buy. It was that close.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Oh I know 39 pages doesn't equal 39 cases... There are actually 10 posts/replies per page!! :eek:

So, if every post per page had a cracked lens... times 39... carry the one... plug it into the pathagoreon therom... lemme get my calculator... :confused:...

Uh... it could equal to 39 maybe. :p

I didn't really count how many posts but skimming through it you can find many many pages with at least one new person saying... "me too."

Anyways, I know not a new issue. Just interesting months later the thread still alive. I mean a quirk issue, it would have died long ago. And it's not like you see posts about "Pity me please, I dropped my phone and cracked my back glass"... So consistent any cracked posts you see is with the camera lens.

It could be people are dropping them but we are seeing that huge piece of lens cover is such a weak point. I shudder to think what will happen when Samsung goes 6 camera system and take up basically the top half of the phone sticking out 1/2 inch because they are going 150 mp sensor lol.

https://twitter.com/letsgodigitalNL/status/1272645063940530178?s=20

I just hope Samsung is reading these claims by people and posts and taking a good look at it. I don't need them to admit they found something defective... I know they won't admit it. Just that if they did find something, they learn from it and make sure it not let it happen on the Note 20+ ;)

I'm well aware of the issue. 39 pages doesn't equal 39 cases and it doesn't change my statement. We have no way of knowing how they cracked. This is not a new issue for OEMs.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Oh I know 39 pages doesn't equal 39 cases... There are actually 10 posts/replies per page!! :eek:

So, if every post per page had a cracked lens... times 39... carry the one... plug it into the pathagoreon therom... lemme get my calculator... :confused:...

Uh... it could equal to 39 maybe.

I didn't really count how many posts but skimming through it you can find many many pages with at least one new person saying... "me too."

Anyways, I know not a new issue. Just interesting months later the thread still alive. I mean a quirk issue, it would have died long ago. And it's not like you see posts about "Pity me please, I dropped my phone and cracked my back glass"... So consistent any cracked posts you see is with the camera lens.

It could be people are dropping them but we are seeing that huge piece of lens cover is such a weak point. I shudder to think what will happen when Samsung goes 6 camera system and take up basically the top half of the phone sticking out 1/2 inch because they are going 150 mp sensor lol.

https://twitter.com/letsgodigitalNL/status/1272645063940530178?s=20

I just hope Samsung is reading these claims by people and posts and taking a good look at it. I don't need them to admit they found something defective... I know they won't admit it. Just that if they did find something, they learn from it and make sure it not let it happen on the Note 20+ ;)
Even a quirk issue doesn't die but it was pretty much dead here. It doesn't require dropping and these lens covers are more vunerable than anyone can imagine. The slightest pressure against these lens cover by an object like a coin or a key is all it takes to crack a lens cover. The bigger the lens the higher the seceptibility to cracking for a variety of reasons.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Someone in that thread also has a broken lens on a Fold. This is nothing new for Samsung and other OEMs. Do a search here and you'll find plenty of issues with other devices including prior Samsungs.

Here's one of the longer of several threads for the LG V20.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=763334

That's not to say that something shouldn't be done about preventing this because the glass is fragile, especially on the larger ones and they make a bigger target.

Last edited:

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Understood, cracked lenses can happen and as shown happen in different models because of large lense covers and such... but you know when it happens on one particular model and happens frequently... do you know what that's called?? A design defect.

We're talking spontaneous cracking of the lens. This is looking more and more like a design defect.

Let's just hope they figured out what caused it to happen on this model and implement a design change to avoid it in future models... especially the Note 20+ ;)

This is not a common thing that you just say "It happens on all phones with large lens covers"... no it doesn't happen on all phones as often as being reported now on a phone that's only 6 months old. It shouldn't happen if designed correctly. If it happened on the V20 like it did here... then it was a design defect there too.

Something that I have no problem in discussing about and keeping an active issue to see if this is a real real issue. Because I don't want to see this kind of defect in their future models. If anything we are helping them figure out if this is a real issue and if so that they learn. It's just unfortunate here the people that have to deal having a cracked lense... and probably get screwed because Samsung will probably brush this under the rug unless they get too much heat from this. That's just how companies do it.

BTW... page 40 on that post in the Samsung Community?? 3 people reporting having it... on one page.

Someone in that thread also has a broken lens on a Fold. This is nothing new for Samsung and other OEMs. Do a search here and you'll find plenty of issues with other devices including prior Samsungs.

Here's one of the longer of several threads for the LG V20.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=763334

That's not to say that something shouldn't be done about preventing this because the glass is fragile, especially on the larger ones and they make a bigger target.

Last edited: