Thought this was interesting. I don't recall if it was posted before.

nuangel2 likes this.
    03-26-2020 10:12 PM
    Thanks for sharing , was interesting
    03-26-2020 11:56 PM
    There you go, for a all in one device the ultra does good. He even said if you want professional pictures get a professional camera. I personally think people are expecting to much from the ultra.

Good video
    03-27-2020 09:23 AM
    There you go, for a all in one device the ultra does good. He even said if you want professional pictures get a professional camera. I personally think people are expecting to much from the ultra.

Good video
    I agree professional picture need professional camera, phone cameras are great for anything else you do with them .
    nuangel2 likes this.
    03-27-2020 09:28 AM
    I agree professional picture need professional camera, phone cameras are great for anything else you do with them .
    A professional picture needs a professional photographer, someone with a full knowledge of the physics of light, artistic composition of subject and the vision to put those qualities together using a camera capable of capturing that vision. Having a "professional" quality camera in no way means that the average person suddenly becomes a professional photographer.
    03-27-2020 09:48 AM
    A professional picture needs a professional photographer, someone with a full knowledge of the physics of light, artistic composition of subject and the vision to put those qualities together using a camera capable of capturing that vision. Having a "professional" quality camera in no way means that the average person suddenly becomes a professional photographer.
    And they wouldn't use a phone camera.
    mustang7757 and nuangel2 like this.
    03-27-2020 09:50 AM
    Yeah I definitely agree there .
    03-27-2020 09:54 AM
    came here to say just this. Thanks.

And I'm not a professional photographer. (I am, however, a professional in my field--and people having the tools I use in no way lets them deliver professional results any more than having full access to Lexis/Nexis makes you a successful lawyer.)
    03-28-2020 11:46 AM
    And they wouldn't use a phone camera.
    There's a saying--the best camera is the one you have to grab the moment.

And I daresay, a pro with a phone will probably make a far better photo than a non-pro using pro equipment. Every time.

This is the flip side of "it's a poor workman who blames his tools".
    KoukiFC3S likes this.
    03-28-2020 11:48 AM
    Since we are off on a tangent from the theme of the video I posted, I think we need a clear definition of professional as there are many levels of proficiency within any profession.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    03-28-2020 12:12 PM
    What exactly is a "pro camera"? Surely it is the person using who is the pro, not the camera. Most if not all cameras are mainly used by amateurs, and some professionals have used phone cameras. Anyway, I find a proper camera so much easier to use than a phone.
    04-02-2020 08:48 AM
    My camera with its supply of lenses hasn't left my closet in two years. I love taking photos but I don't earn a living at that. My Huawei P30 pro can compete with a camera used by a professional about as well as my Nissan pickup can compete with a formula-one race car. And, a forumla-one race car would be as bought as convenient driving to the park as is my camera w/lenses for strolling around town.

I thoroughly enjoy taking photos with my phone.
    04-02-2020 09:15 AM
    The S20 does well, but I think it's main advantage is on-device processing. It's too bad that Samsung cheaped-out on the focus system though. The S20 and S20+ use full sensor DPAF with photodiodes built into every pixel. The S20 Ultra uses PDAF with just a few pairs of pixels available for autofocus, and PDAF is not as good at following moving objects. The zoom is better than other phones, to a degree, but garbage compared to a dedicated camera. From a technical aspect, smartphones are pretty good though, and a couple years ago I took a vacation and left my Nikon at home. I also did a recent night mode test using four phones and a Nikon bridge camera (B700), and the iPhone 11 came close to getting a better night image, but you have to keep in mind the B700 has a small sensor for a regular camera. Surprisingly, the best night mode shot came from an HTC, which topped the iPhone and the Nikon.

I use the term "dedicated" camera, as opposed to professional, because there is a huge range of cameras from beginner to full frame and mirrorless cameras. Some people think a "professional" camera is anything with a lens and a shutter button, others assume it only counts if the body costs over 1k. But, there are excellent beginner cameras and some decent mid range cameras that can go beyond smartphone capabilities.

In regards to what is a professional photographer, that implies that the person earns a living at it or is formally trained, and that they are knowledgeable and proficient at photography.

I agree wholeheartedly that putting an expensive camera in the hands of a person does not make them a good photographer. Likewise, I'm of the opinion that a good photographer can get compelling photographs with just about anything.
    04-02-2020 10:04 PM
    The S20 does well, but I think it's main advantage is on-device processing. It's too bad that Samsung cheaped-out on the focus system though. The S20 and S20+ use full sensor DPAF with photodiodes built into every pixel. The S20 Ultra uses PDAF with just a few pairs of pixels available for autofocus, and PDAF is not as good at following moving objects. The zoom is better than other phones, to a degree, but garbage compared to a dedicated camera. From a technical aspect, smartphones are pretty good though, and a couple years ago I took a vacation and left my Nikon at home. I also did a recent night mode test using four phones and a Nikon bridge camera (B700), and the iPhone 11 came close to getting a better night image, but you have to keep in mind the B700 has a small sensor for a regular camera. Surprisingly, the best night mode shot came from an HTC, which topped the iPhone and the Nikon.

I use the term "dedicated" camera, as opposed to professional, because there is a huge range of cameras from beginner to full frame and mirrorless cameras. Some people think a "professional" camera is anything with a lens and a shutter button, others assume it only counts if the body costs over 1k. But, there are excellent beginner cameras and some decent mid range cameras that can go beyond smartphone capabilities.

In regards to what is a professional photographer, that implies that the person earns a living at it or is formally trained, and that they are knowledgeable and proficient at photography.

I agree wholeheartedly that putting an expensive camera in the hands of a person does not make them a good photographer. Likewise, I'm of the opinion that a good photographer can get compelling photographs with just about anything.

I don't like using terms like garbage to describe or compare things but that's just me. Having said that, I doubt anyone expects the S20 zoom to compare to a dedicated camera. In addition, most of us are aware of why the Ultra has focusing issues and it's design limitations. We already received an update that resolved some issues depending on who you talk to and another update has been released.
    04-02-2020 10:39 PM