How are you liking your new phones?

the reel d-dave

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm on the fence. I know that through a Samsung Trade, I can get a S21 for not a lot of cash. I'm a little hesitant because I had a S8 that died (motherboard) after a year, which sent me to a Google Pixel 3. I've had that phone since, and it's been great. Well, until it started bootlooping last night, which kept me up way to late trying to fix it.

Anyone here who upgraded from a Pixel device to the new s21? Should I join the Samsung side of things? Any buyer's remorse?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I always have both latest Pixel and Galaxy devices and can tell you that S21 series one of the most refined yet. Personally love it and definitely working out great (have S21 Ultra). I also want to say Pixel 5 is also great (especially battery for that small phone it's awesome).

Especially if you are coming from more than one generation back device you'll feel the difference in performance and how everything runs smooth. I think you'll be happy with the S21 series. They are really great phones. Samsung has stepped up the game in terms of how their software is smooth and responsive over the past few years, and it shows in every new generation. They are getting better and better.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm really loving the S21 Ultra. So much so that I'm having a hard time keeping my SIM in my Z Fold 2 which was my all time favorite Samsung device. I usually buy every Note device but now that the S21 Ultra has the S-Pen I'll likely skip the Note this year.

I still always keep a Pixel device on hand to try new Android versions upon release but the Pixel hardware just isn't good enough for me to use as a full time daily driver.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the fence. I know that through a Samsung Trade, I can get a S21 for not a lot of cash. I'm a little hesitant because I had a S8 that died (motherboard) after a year, which sent me to a Google Pixel 3. I've had that phone since, and it's been great. Well, until it started bootlooping last night, which kept me up way to late trying to fix it.

Anyone here who upgraded from a Pixel device to the new s21? Should I join the Samsung side of things? Any buyer's remorse?

Why didn't you go for the Ultra?

The_Woo

Aug 22, 2020
Visit site
I have both the Pixel 5 and S21. Thinking of upgrading to the S21 Ultra. Anyone make that switch? Outside of camera zoom, what other MAJOR differences?

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
S21 Ultra, 512GB here...my only complaint is the finger print ID. The Note 9 was 99% accurate and this is probably 65% accurate (i.e., the # of times I can login without re-scanning or using a different finger). If this was an improvement over the other in-screen devices, I can't imagine what that would be like.

(And yes, I have re-scanned the same finger 2x (only 4 spots available, so one finger on each hand))

R

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Even coming from the Note20 Ultra, which I enjoyed a lot, I'm very impressed with the S21 Ultra and happy that I upgraded.

cpcxgsr

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I don't like is the Samsung pay. It worked flawlessly on my S20 and doesn't on my S21.

I'm curious, what are your thoughts between your s20 and s21?

I honestly can't tell the difference? I have the vzw s20+ and unlocked s21+.

Ergonomics, I prefer the s21+ with the flat screen. Other than that, I don't notice much.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I can understand why you would be torn between Pixel and Google.

Though I don't have the newest Samsung, I went to my S10 (current Samsung flagship at the time) from my Google Pixel 2. I fell in love with Samsung's UI and am loving the extra features, like Edge Lighting and the Edge Panel. It works well for me. That being said, I do miss my Pixel's simplistic UI and camera.

However, the latest Samsung flagship does take awesome pictures! I think if you went for Samsung, it'd be an interesting change from Pixel.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I love my S21 Ultra ;)

Well I've never had a pixel phone HTC and all Samsung. But the S21 Ultra is the best phone ever and I love it so much! Plus I'm on Verizon now I used to be on Sprint which sucked here where I live. And then I had a bad unlocked S10 Plus that didn't even work on Verizon well but now the s 21 Ultra is the best. And I have heard people say the pixel camera might be just a little bit better but the ultra is fine for me for what I do.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm torn right now as well. Sitting with a 4XL that is working great honestly but I'm having some phone envy I think. Going to be taking a couple big trips this year as well as some travel for work so face unlock not working when I'm out with a mask on is driving me nuts typing in my pin constantly.

Thinking about the S21+ because I want the bigger device but not the curved screen of the ultra plus the price is a little better. Between the $300 off right now, education discount and $350 trade in for my 4XL I can get a 256GB S21+ for $599.

My hesitation comes with a couple things. First off I don't love the one UI launcher and horizontal app drawer and I'd like to stick to using gesture navigation so putting another launcher on it and using the buttons just seems not worth it. I'm also not sold on the camera being worthy, though I will say when I had an S20 for awhile last year I had no real issues with the camera. It was mostly the launcher that drove me nuts. But the Pixel 4XL camera is still damn good, really consistent and easy to use.

I just don't know what I want to do.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm torn right now as well. Sitting with a 4XL that is working great honestly but I'm having some phone envy I think. Going to be taking a couple big trips this year as well as some travel for work so face unlock not working when I'm out with a mask on is driving me nuts typing in my pin constantly.

Thinking about the S21+ because I want the bigger device but not the curved screen of the ultra plus the price is a little better. Between the $300 off right now, education discount and $350 trade in for my 4XL I can get a 256GB S21+ for $599.

My hesitation comes with a couple things. First off I don't love the one UI launcher and horizontal app drawer and I'd like to stick to using gesture navigation so putting another launcher on it and using the buttons just seems not worth it. I'm also not sold on the camera being worthy, though I will say when I had an S20 for awhile last year I had no real issues with the camera. It was mostly the launcher that drove me nuts. But the Pixel 4XL camera is still damn good, really consistent and easy to use.

I just don't know what I want to do.
Tough choice , I couldn't part with my pixel 4xl , was nothing out there for me to trade it in and I really do like the phone .

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I returned my 21 ultra and went back to the 4xl. Even though i was getting $800 for the pixel, I didn't like the ultra enough to keep it. There's just too many little software issues that add up to a frustrating user experience compared to the pixel for me.

It wasn't a terrible phone, and I could see why a lot of people like Samsungs. If they just ditched more of their own inferior software and fully embraced Google's choices, they'd be much better off.

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
S21 Ultra, 512GB here...my only complaint is the finger print ID. The Note 9 was 99% accurate and this is probably 65% accurate (i.e., the # of times I can login without re-scanning or using a different finger). If this was an improvement over the other in-screen devices, I can't imagine what that would be like.

(And yes, I have re-scanned the same finger 2x (only 4 spots available, so one finger on each hand))

R

I think there is some inconsistent scanners out there. I first got the 21plus and finger print scanner was terrible. It worked maybe 60% of the time. I tried the ultra and it's been 95% accurate. Even with a screen protector.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site

My hesitation comes with a couple things. First off I don't love the one UI launcher and horizontal app drawer and I'd like to stick to using gesture navigation so putting another launcher on it and using the buttons just seems not worth it.

You can use gesture navigation with other launchers. I do it all the time with Nova and Microsoft launcher.

Also, the Ultra's screen is flat.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I have a S10+which I love, but just got a Pixel 4a 5G and I just love the phone to bits. The camera is great and the smoothness. I prefer it definitely to the 4xl that I gave to my husband after 4 months.

I do like OneUI 3 and the extras on my S10+, but I also like Pixel. I wouldn't know what to say in your situation.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana