05-24-2022 01:00 PM
37 12
tools
    Hey everyone!
    Just got the Samsung S22+ the other day and I noticed that the screen flickers when scrolling on the menu(black theme) it get a little brighter for a second(light a subtle flash) then goes back to normal and it only seem to happen in daylight, doesn't appear to happen at night or in the dark, I have adaptive brightness off, it's not a major thing just annoying and wanted to ask if I need to return my phone(still in the 14 day cooling off period) I've only noticed it on darker screen like the settings menu(dark theme)
    05-22-2022 12:50 PM
    Managed to find out the trigger.
    It seems to be the proximity sensor, I used a torch to put light on screen and when turned off it did the flicker.
    Is this normal or need replacing?
    05-22-2022 01:35 PM
    With adaptive brightness off do u have extra brightness toggle on ?S22+ Screen Flicker in daylight?-screenshot_20220522-171231_settings.jpg
    05-22-2022 04:13 PM
    With adaptive brightness off do u have extra brightness toggle on ?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220522-171231_Settings.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	345025
    Extra Brightness is disabled
    05-22-2022 04:35 PM
    I tried with adaptive turn off but don't have bright sunlight to test it but screen flicker for a moment in really bright brightness might not be anything to worry.
    05-22-2022 04:44 PM
    I tried with adaptive turn off but don't have bright sunlight to test it but screen flicker for a moment in really bright brightness might not be anything to worry.
    Thank you so much for the reply
    I actually did a little test with a torch, lit the screen up with a torch and when torch was turned off it and noticed the grey areas of the settings screen did the same flicker thing, I then tried with the proximity sensor covered and it didn't happen.
    Not sure if that helps work it out at all

It only lasts a second or two and it's like the screen brightness is turned up slightly for a few seconds but the black boarders weren't affected it only seems to affect grey from what I've seen which concerns me it could be a hardware issue
    05-22-2022 04:49 PM
    Thank you so much for the reply ������
    I actually did a little test with a torch, lit the screen up with a torch and when torch was turned off it and noticed the grey areas of the settings screen did the same flicker thing, I then tried with the proximity sensor covered and it didn't happen.
    Not sure if that helps work it out at all

It only lasts a second or two and it's like the screen brightness is turned up slightly for a few seconds but the black boarders weren't affected it only seems to affect grey from what I've seen which concerns me it could be a hardware issue
    Your welcome!
    Do u use a screen protector or case that blocks the proximity sensor?
    05-22-2022 04:54 PM
    Your welcome!
    Do u use a screen protector or case that blocks the proximity sensor?
    Nope, it's just a back cover case and no screen protector.
    Thinking of taking the phone back to store tomorrow for a replacement as I'm rather concerned it could be a hardware issue
    05-22-2022 05:04 PM
    Nope, it's just a back cover case and no screen protector.
    Thinking of taking the phone back to store tomorrow for a replacement as I'm rather concerned it could be a hardware issue
    Ok definitely since your in the return window, keep us posted how it goes.
    05-22-2022 05:06 PM
    Ok definitely since your in the return window, keep us posted how it goes.
    Will do, I'm really hoping it's just a software issue but better to be safe now than sorry later.
    It might mean waiting a few days to get a replacement if they don't have any in stuck.
    It does say on the website that faulty items can be returned within first 14 days for a replacement
    05-22-2022 05:27 PM
    05-22-2022 05:33 PM
    Definitely I agree
    Not sure if it makes a difference in working out if it's software or hardware but I just tested again with the adaptive smoothness set to Standard and it doesn't happen but when set to adaptive it flickers
    Would that mean it's more likely to be software or hardware?
    05-22-2022 05:57 PM
    Not sure if it makes a difference in working out if it's software or hardware but I just tested again with the adaptive smoothness set to Standard and it doesn't happen but when set to adaptive it flickers
    Would that mean it's more likely to be software or hardware?
    Most likely software related
    05-22-2022 05:58 PM
    Most likely software related
    Just had my partner check too and he said it definitely doesn't do it when adaptive smoothness is off but couldn't definitely see it when enabled.
    If it was a hardware issue wouldn't it do it on both?
    Sorry I'm not very tecky and struggle with anxiety so this is triggering me a bit as I'm worried it's faulty
    05-22-2022 06:05 PM
    Just had my partner check too and he said it definitely doesn't do it when adaptive smoothness is off but couldn't definitely see it when enabled.
    If it was a hardware issue wouldn't it do it on both?
    Sorry I'm not very tecky and struggle with anxiety so this is triggering me a bit as I'm worried it's faulty
    I can't test this myself in sunlight today but tomorrow I can
    05-22-2022 06:07 PM
    I can't test this myself in sunlight today but tomorrow I can
    I found it much easier to test it with a torch to be able to see it happening.
    What I did was, set theme to dark mode and went onto settings screen then used a torch on the screen, when the torch went off you can see the flicker for a second but it only seems to happen on the grey areas which is confusing, I'm wondering if it could be the refresh rate changing depending on light level
    05-22-2022 06:10 PM
    I found it much easier to test it with a torch to be able to see it happening.
    What I did was, set theme to dark mode and went onto settings screen then used a torch on the screen, when the torch went off you can see the flicker for a second but it only seems to happen on the grey areas which is confusing, I'm wondering if it could be the refresh rate changing depending on light level
    What screen resolution u have it set at when it happens?
    05-22-2022 06:15 PM
    When I have it set to adaptive it does the flicker thing but when I changed it to standard it stopped happening which is really odd.
    Pretty sure adaptive is 120hz and standard is 60hz
    05-22-2022 06:18 PM
    Just to be sure I tested it again,
    With Adaptive Scrolling set to Standard it doesn't flicker at all, with it set to adaptive it flickers which is very confusing as I would of thought it was hardware related it would happen on both modes
    05-22-2022 06:41 PM
    Just to be sure I tested it again,
    With Adaptive Scrolling set to Standard it doesn't flicker at all, with it set to adaptive it flickers which is very confusing as I would of thought it was hardware related it would happen on both modes
    It's not hardware otherwise it would happen in either mode standard or adaptive
    05-22-2022 06:52 PM
    It's not hardware otherwise it would happen in either mode standard or adaptive
    I tried to do the record screen thing to see if I could post a video of it happening but the when I played the video it isn't showing the flicker
    05-22-2022 06:56 PM
    I tried to do the record screen thing to see if I could post a video of it happening but the when I played the video it isn't showing the flicker
    Probably happens to quick
    05-22-2022 06:57 PM
    Probably happens to quick
    It definitely noticeable when it's happening on the phone but tried a few times to screen record and it isn't showing, wondering if that means it's a hardware issue
    05-22-2022 07:00 PM
    I tried with flashlight, nothing happened, when u say torch you mean like a lighter or similar?
    05-22-2022 07:04 PM
    05-22-2022 07:47 PM
37 12