Internet connection accident

anaseed

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I have just received a hefty bill as my phone 'accidentally' connected to the Internet! Really don't know how this has happened. Feel as though I've been taken for a ride. Can this happen?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Even if your phone's mobile data is on, it shouldn't suck down a ton of data unless some app is configured incorrectly or malfunctioning. You can look at what has been using data by going to Settings>Data Usage​, and looking at the breakdown there. What's responsible for the most data usage?

anaseed

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I took out a contract just for minutes and texts. Didn't want anything fancy on it as I use my tablet for everything ese. Google service, weather, samsung, android OS, my galaxy, all appear in data usage. Do I restrict background to stop the usage?

anaseed

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Been reading more into this. Too much technology for me! Looks as though I've been charged for updates to my phone. Can I disable google service and all apps so I'm not charged? I only want a phone for texting and calls. There's too much on them!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean by a contract for just minutes and texts? Does you plan include any data at all, or do you get charged as you go for any data used? Most plans will give you at least 200 MB of data per month (which isn't that much).

Your smartphone is designed to access the web on a regular basis to update various bits of data. If you only want a phone for texting and calls, you may want to consider trading it in for a flip phone (which still exist).

In the meantime, you can minimize data usage by doing the following:

1. Keep mobile data OFF. Go to Settings>Data Usage, and switch Mobile Data off. This is the surest way to prevent your phone from using any mobile data minutes. You can also tap the Menu button here and check "Restrict Background Data," which will prevent apps from refreshing data unless you're connected to wi-fi.

2. To easily toggle mobile data on or off, install a toggle widget like Data Enabler Widget. After installing, place the widget on a homescreen (remember that it's a widget, not an app, so you need to look for it in your Widgets screen), and then you can turn mobile data on or off by simply tapping the widget.

3. In the Google Play Store app, go to its Settings, and select "Do Not Auto-Update Apps."

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Very good post. Also with regards to the bill, contact Verizon explaining the situation. They might be willing to work something out to reduce the bill. In addition, set up data alerts through Verizon's website so you know when you will get close to the limit.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3