WiFi question

Woody73

Feb 1, 2024
Visit site
I bought a used Samsung SM-G550T phone for use with my IP cameras. It has a T-Mobil simm card but no service.I don't want the service. My question is I would like to be able for it to connect to my wifi so I could use it for calls or txt from home. No matter what I do it comes up with the error Under (More connection settings- Wi-Fi Calling) ER101 invalid Certificate. From what I've read on the internet it should be able to do this. Am I missing something or this phone will not do this. Also I can go on the internet with it. And if I take out the simm card then it says no simm card installed.
Thank you for any help you can offer

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
When you say tmobile Sim with no service, do you mean no bars/no signal, or you do not have an active phone line with a phone number?
Have you paired the phone itself to your wifi router? You're able to use internet?

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
To make calls, you will need service with someone. Otherwise there's no phone number associated with your phone for others to call.

Since you only want Wi-Fi access, maybe consider getting a Google Voice phone number, or another VoIP service.

Woody73

Feb 1, 2024
Visit site
When you say tmobile Sim with no service, do you mean no bars/no signal, or you do not have an active phone line with a phone number?
Have you paired the phone itself to your wifi router? You're able to use internet?
When you say paired I'm not sure what you mean. I do have it connected to my wifi router.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Although it's possible to use wi-fi calling with Airplane Mode turned on (i.e., without a cell signal), it still requires the phone to have been registered on a carrier's network (using a SIM with cell service), as previous folks have mentioned above.

If you're primarily concerned about the cost of a wireless plan and you're in the US, consider Google Fi, which has a very affordable and flexible option (where you essentially just pay for the data you use): https://fi.google.com/about/plans

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Woody73

Feb 1, 2024
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Although it's possible to use wi-fi calling with Airplane Mode turned on (i.e., without a cell signal), it still requires the phone to have been registered on a carrier's network (using a SIM with cell service), as previous folks have mentioned above.

If you're primarily concerned about the cost of a wireless plan and you're in the US, consider Google Fi, which has a very affordable and flexible option (where you essentially just pay for the data you use): https://fi.google.com/about/plans
Thank you for the info

Reactions: B. Diddy