Hype, expectation and the Samsung Galaxy S III

coinmanmat

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I think the Galaxy S III is a overall nice looking phone. Sure the design could have been better but Spec wise its not bad and it boasts quite a roster of features. I will be eventually be buying it as my next phone purchase because ive been a fan of the Galaxy S series since the begining

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Excellent article Al! Really put things into perspective, of course I was already in love with this device though :)

snoopyandroid

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Not disappointed in this phone at all. I can't wait till this comes to the Great White North. Hurry up Samsung, I need a new phone soon!!!!

matt0715

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm still debating on whether to get the one x or s3, guess I will just wait to see what changes Verizon makes to them

rserda

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Disappointed that the US Carriers (AT&T in my case), will only get a dual core version.. what's the point.. I've ALREADY got a dual core in the SII...? heartbreaker for sure... :'(

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Disappointed that the US Carriers (AT&T in my case), will only get a dual core version.. what's the point.. I've ALREADY got a dual core in the SII...? heartbreaker for sure... :'(

Have a look here:
AnandTech - Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 (Krait) Performance Preview - 1.5 GHz MSM8960 MDP and Adreno 225 Benchmarks

MDP MSM8960 = S4 (most likely to be in the SIII)
MDP MSM8660 = S3 (in your SII)

Notice how the S4 blows it out of the water? Don't be the typical US consumer who assume all dual cores are the same and quad core is the only upgrade. The dual core S4 mostly out performs the quad core in the Tegra 3, btw!

Mark_C

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I posted this as a comment to the article, but maybe its better here..

So can anyone actually tell me whats wrong with TW ?

I've had a quick play with a HTC One X, to me Sense 4 seems little different to my HTC desire (runs gingerbread), yet in this article (and others on this site) Samsung have been criticised for not embracing ICS and TW looking too much like gingerbread.
I also had a play with ICS on an S2 and obviously it differs from Sense but I couldn't see any radical differences between Sense & TW.

So what specifically is "wrong" with TW on ICS that Sense has "right" ?

It gets even more confusing when I read elsewhere that TW is well aligned with ICS. So which is it ?

I am beginning to think the TW vs Sense thing is completely subjective and some have a downer on TW because of previous versions?

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I am beginning to think the TW vs Sense thing is completely subjective and some have a downer on TW because of previous versions?

I would say your thinking here is correct...it most definitely is 100% subjective. Everyone likes something different, that's why there are so many choices of skins, launchers, custom ROMS, etc. This argument folks insist on having that one mfg, launcher, hardware design, etc is better than the other is so silly. A lot of people have a hard time with the concepts of subjective/objective and fact/opinion.

Reactions: Mark_C

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
The S3 is great and all but it didn't differentiate itself from phones like the HTC One X as much as I expected. Probably the biggest decision maker for me will be battery life. All of the things I do with my phone I could do with either the HTC, S3 or iphone for that matter. But if I have to plug the phone in halfway through the day that is a deal breaker. Pentile really doesn't matter that much to me. Heck my S2 has an 800x480 screen and it looks great so the 720p will probably blow me away pentile or not. Yeah it would be cool if it was made from metal or ceramic but that doesn't make that much of a difference to me.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
The SGS3 is really for the people coming from the SGS1 and equivalent phones and just NEW android users! All the people who are complaining are the ones who need the latest and greatest and are trying to justify getting it over their SGS2 or equivalent. Relax, and wait till the SGS4 is released.....that will be a significant upgrade over your phone. I will be ready in due time for the SGS5!

raydawg13

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I own an EVO 3D so I've been waiting to see what the S3 was going to bring since the S2 is a pretty amazing phone, but that One X (EVO 4G LTE) is looking better, camera wise, and I just read that U. S carriers are getting the dual core version not the quad core, not sure if that's true but if it is it kinda sucks.

anon(77329)

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm not really disappointed in the spec side of the phone or the shape of it, just how shiny it is. However, it'll put in an Otterbox immediately so that isn't a big deal. I just hope it doesn't feel as cheap as the Galaxy Nexus does. I can't believe how poorly that thing is made. So I'll be waiting to feel it in person before I pass any real judgement.

I do hope they offer an extended battery for it though and that Otterbox or another case company will make a nice case that fits it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I posted this as a comment to the article, but maybe its better here..

So can anyone actually tell me whats wrong with TW ?

I've had a quick play with a HTC One X, to me Sense 4 seems little different to my HTC desire (runs gingerbread), yet in this article (and others on this site) Samsung have been criticised for not embracing ICS and TW looking too much like gingerbread.
I also had a play with ICS on an S2 and obviously it differs from Sense but I couldn't see any radical differences between Sense & TW.

So what specifically is "wrong" with TW on ICS that Sense has "right" ?

It gets even more confusing when I read elsewhere that TW is well aligned with ICS. So which is it ?

There is nothing wrong with TouchWiz.

Just like there's nothing wrong with Sense.

Just like there's nothing wrong with Blur.

If you want a pure Google experience, buy a Nexus.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Reactions: Mark_C

coinmanmat

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Agreed the old Moto Blur was so customized it looked like a completely seperate OS, not Android.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress