Samsung Galaxy S3-Multitasking, LED Notification and more videos

SlimJ87D

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy S3-Multitasking, LED Notification and more vid

Oops... I just made a thread right when you made this one...

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

+1 to that. I wish it could have been released with a quadcore processor that supports LTE. Then we might need a larger battery and more thickness of the device.

SlimJ87D

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

Me: Thank you so much for all your videos. The One X has the issue after you open 4 or 6 apps. Does the same happen when you open lets say 6 apps total? Will it continue where it was? Can you let us know? You don't have to make a new video. Thank you very much.

MisterDumi on XDA aka AlexDmi: Nope, it's good from what i've seen

Returning my One X on the 29th :D

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
+1 to that. I wish it could have been released with a quadcore processor that supports LTE. Then we might need a larger battery and more thickness of the device.

I think we will be fine with the dual core processors. The S4 processor runs pretty good.

Nashstruck

May 5, 2012
Visit site

The multitasking video worries me a lil bit.
700MB taken up by system and widgets?
Yikes!

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

Me: Thank you so much for all your videos. The One X has the issue after you open 4 or 6 apps. Does the same happen when you open lets say 6 apps total? Will it continue where it was? Can you let us know? You don't have to make a new video. Thank you very much.

MisterDumi on XDA aka AlexDmi: Nope, it's good from what i've seen

Returning my One X on the 29th :D

You are going to return that pretty One X, and get the ugly plastic S3? ;)

SlimJ87D

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

The multitasking video worries me a lil bit.
700MB taken up by system and widgets?
Yikes!

Free RAM is wasted RAM. Android =/= PC remember. Read Jerry's article.

http://www.androidcentral.com/ram-what-it-how-its-used-and-why-you-shouldnt-care

Unused RAM is wasted RAM.

Android, like Mac OS and Ubuntu, wants to use all the RAM it can, because that's how it was designed to work. There are settings (in Android we call them "minfree" settings) to tell the system how much RAM to leave free and available, but the rest is designed to fill up as fast as possible and stay that way.

You're probably thinking "What's it filling up with?" That's a great question. After the system, graphics, radios, and any other tweaks to RAM are done loading, the rest is there to load apps into memory, right up to the point where the OS says to stop. Load the app as it's being used, and keep it there for the next time until it needs flushed to free space for something else. The more you use the system, the better it gets at keeping the right things loaded and ready to go. Think about how you use your phone -- you might have 100 apps installed, but there are a few you always are opening and using. Eventually, most of those apps will be stored in your RAM, simply because you're always opening them and loading them into the RAM if they weren't already there -- and "erasing" other apps that were there first. Loading an app from your storage takes longer, is harder on the battery, and overall worse than loading it from it's cached position in RAM.

Consider this -- Jerry did/said/thought something that made his wife mad (yes, she can read my thoughts), so he bought flowers from the 7-Eleven and wants to make a mix CD of her favorite Rod Stewart songs to give to her and get his ass out of the doghouse. It could happen. Consider which is more efficient:

Burn 20 songs to a CD, give to wife, and smile while she plays it.
Burn one song to a CD, let her listen, then erase it and burn the next song.
That's what your phone (or tablet) has to consider. Loading Google Talk to RAM once, and having it there to open almost instantly is far better than loading it each and every time you want to use it. So why kill it off? It's not like you'll never use it again, and nothing else is going to use that RAM while it's sitting empty -- at that point, it's wasted space. You will also use a lot more battery power re-opening Talk every time you get a message than you will by having the zeros held as ones on your RAM. The folks who built Android really did know what they were doing when it comes to memory management. After the parameters are set, and the amount the OS can use to "swap" for it's normal operations, the rest is simply wasted if we're not using it. What is cached in RAM is just sitting there, not using any CPU cycles, but ready to get pushed to the front and appear on the screen as fast as it can, and not use the extra battery needed to start it up from disk again.

You are going to return that pretty One X, and get the ugly plastic S3? ;)

Why not? I have the HOX covered in a case anyways. My SGS3 will probably be covered in blue thin case with a Captain America SHIELD decal on it.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

LOL...you forgot the :sarcasm: switch ;-)

Thanks for the videos!

Yea, I guess, and I know you get it with no sarcasm emotions needed. Well I cannot wait to pickup two of these ugly plastic bad boys, and I will be rocking them naked with a holster.:)

SlimJ87D

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

Erm but u need the "free ram" to load apps?

There is free RAM for you. About 350mb while the rest of the RAM is loaded already with caches of the apps you use the most so they can load fast and quickly. Check out Jerrys article to understand.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
From what I have seen in other videos, we are also getting the s-note and s-calendar apps from the galaxy note.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Can the calendar app be synched with my Outlook?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non