Which Launcher?

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Gotcha. Do you notice any battery life differences?
Honestly I haven't stayed with one launcher long enough to notice. Also, I would think that to properly compare the battery I would have to perform all the same actions on each launcher. No way can I do that! :p
In general, though, I haven't noticed any major differences up until now.

Reactions: MERCDROID and Mac33

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
i want to stick with TouchWiz but I am a launcher addict and I love customizing the homescreens. I like to choose my own icons and stuff like that. 10x10 grids, etc. I use folder organizer a lot and I really can't stand the left to right scrolling apps drawer, i like how launchers let you choose.

i like go and adw, launcher pro from back in the day, and still use it, but nova is REALLY nice.

i probably will end up getting prime. I like the button options.

however, i want to really give touch wiz a try, so i will keep trying with that... for now:p

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Using Apex launcher. Love it. Basically the same as Nova at this point but. Before they were racing against eachother. Each one having the same features except a couple. When I chose Apex it was because it allowed you to change the transparency in the app drawer and nova didnt but now nova does it as well. They are both equals now though

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Looking at Go Launcher, Nova, Apex in the Play Store...I'm quite surprised to see Nova and Apex have WAYYY less reviews than Go Launcher. Did they change names or something and lose their reviews?

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
i want to stick with TouchWiz but I am a launcher addict and I love customizing the homescreens. I like to choose my own icons and stuff like that. 10x10 grids, etc. I use folder organizer a lot and I really can't stand the left to right scrolling apps drawer, i like how launchers let you choose.

i like go and adw, launcher pro from back in the day, and still use it, but nova is REALLY nice.

i probably will end up getting prime. I like the button options.

however, i want to really give touch wiz a try, so i will keep trying with that... for now:p
Button options?

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Using Apex launcher. Love it. Basically the same as Nova at this point but. Before they were racing against eachother. Each one having the same features except a couple. When I chose Apex it was because it allowed you to change the transparency in the app drawer and nova didnt but now nova does it as well. They are both equals now though
I'm trying both out and it just seems like there are mostly interface differences. Problem is that both are so crippled in the free version that it makes decisions tough... I'm tending towards Apex at this point though...Just seems classier to me and I'm tired of all the GO ads...

ti2grrr

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Well I was a die hard Go launcher fan with my X... I tried touch wiz and I didn't hate it but I wasn't crazy about the non scrollable dock... I HATED Blur on the Razr. SO I tried Apex for awhile and it's good but when I tried Nova after I tried Apex it was just easier for me to look for and add apps to the pages. I thinking about paying for Nova But I really don't want to pay the $4 if I don't have to... 2 things I'm looking for before I do is a scrollable contact widget and a full size whole month calender(which the touch wiz had and I loved it I just couldn't resize anything which drove me nuts it was almost a whole page) Anybody know of any good apps for that. I'm use to Go everything still using GoSms so I gotta find replacements... Or I'll be lost on my phone. ALSO like that I can still use the themes I bought for my Go launcher on Nova didn't see it on Apex or it wasn't that easy to find and didn't see it.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Well I was a die hard Go launcher fan with my X... I tried touch wiz and I didn't hate it but I wasn't crazy about the non scrollable dock... I HATED Blur on the Razr. SO I tried Apex for awhile and it's good but when I tried Nova after I tried Apex it was just easier for me to look for and add apps to the pages. I thinking about paying for Nova But I really don't want to pay the $4 if I don't have to... 2 things I'm looking for before I do is a scrollable contact widget and a full size whole month calender(which the touch wiz had and I loved it I just couldn't resize anything which drove me nuts it was almost a whole page) Anybody know of any good apps for that. I'm use to Go everything still using GoSms so I gotta find replacements... Or I'll be lost on my phone. ALSO like that I can still use the themes I bought for my Go launcher on Nova didn't see it on Apex or it wasn't that easy to find and didn't see it.
I know what you're saying about putting an app on the pages. I really like the way the widgets show up in the app drawer with Apex though. There are full previews like in Touchwiz (one of the things I like about Touchwiz). Overall, being an "options" person I'm thinking Apex may just have a few more than Nova but the free versions are so crippled it's hard to tell.

ti2grrr

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I know what you're saying about putting an app on the pages. I really like the way the widgets show up in the app drawer with Apex though. There are full previews like in Touchwiz (one of the things I like about Touchwiz). Overall, being an "options" person I'm thinking Apex may just have a few more than Nova but the free versions are so crippled it's hard to tell.
Agreed I havent sunk $ into either... I guess I didn't have the full preview to miss it that long lol! I didn't like how Apex made me drag ever app I wanted to add to the pages individual. Nova let me click on a bunch and then add then to the page all at once. BUT who knows what the full version has on it and you probably couldn't try them out for 15mins long enough to know... HEY at least we got a new phone to play with though and I'm really in love w/ this phone.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Agreed I havent sunk $ into either... I guess I didn't have the full preview to miss it that long lol! I didn't like how Apex made me drag ever app I wanted to add to the pages individual. Nova let me click on a bunch and then add then to the page all at once. BUT who knows what the full version has on it and you probably couldn't try them out for 15mins long enough to know... HEY at least we got a new phone to play with though and I'm really in love w/ this phone.
Absolutely! But I REALLY want a new launcher! ;)

seabass

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm using Launcher 7, which is a mimic of Metro for WP7. I like the clean, simple look, but it's not for everyone. It will take a lot of thought and time figuring out how to customize it to a point where it is as seamless as other launchers. If you are looking for something stylish, unique, and simple then I'd recommend it.

8er

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Have always used the stock whatever came with the phone then switched to ADW A hero then the original LG optimus and now a Siii. I have used ADW about 2.5 years and clearly like it. I find ADW very customizable and it is free to use.

Will have to give Nova a look given the positive comments.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I just paid for Apex but now I found out that folder sorting is not a feature. It's great that you can bulk add programs to folders but there's no way to sort them once they are there. I just wrote to the author asking about this and telling him that if this feature is not planned then I would like a refund. That 15 minute Play window is really short... :( If this feature isn't added then I'll go with Nova.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I just paid for Apex but now I found out that folder sorting is not a feature. It's great that you can bulk add programs to folders but there's no way to sort them once they are there. I just wrote to the author asking about this and telling him that if this feature is not planned then I would like a refund. That 15 minute Play window is really short... :( If this feature isn't added then I'll go with Nova.

I've been fiddling with both Apex and Nova demos and think I'm going with Apex for the greater customization options.

Apex doesn't have an automated sort, but you can long-press an icon in a folder and drag it around for a manual sort. Not the greatest solution if you want to quickly sort by some criteria but at least you can move stuff around.

yoon82

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I wish TouchWiz had more options. I don't like the idea of a 3rd party program draining more battery life out of my phone (not that it's a big issue, I just don't think it's necessary).

I've messed around with Nova and Go Launcher and while they have some nice skins and widgets, I went back to TW.

Reactions: Issemann

Bbeelzebub

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I tried out Nova, Apex and Go last night. Today I'm back at Touchwiz. Doh!

It really came down to, once I got my screen setup the way I liked it, etc..... I stopped getting notifications for calls on my stock email app, texts, etc. Calendar widget go bye bye, yadda yadda.

I guess I can install more apps to handle that stuff when I'm using a 3rd party launcher, but then it just seems to get more and more resource heavy. While I was having the most fun with Go last night, it also was killing what has been otherwise rock solid battery performance on this phone.

Touchwiz is okay I suppose. While I like changing out icons, etc, I don't mind staying with the stock ones. I just wish scrolling wallpaper actually worked somehow.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I tried out Nova, Apex and Go last night. Today I'm back at Touchwiz. Doh!

It really came down to, once I got my screen setup the way I liked it, etc..... I stopped getting notifications for calls on my stock email app, texts, etc. Calendar widget go bye bye, yadda yadda.

I guess I can install more apps to handle that stuff when I'm using a 3rd party launcher, but then it just seems to get more and more resource heavy. While I was having the most fun with Go last night, it also was killing what has been otherwise rock solid battery performance on this phone.

Touchwiz is okay I suppose. While I like changing out icons, etc, I don't mind staying with the stock ones. I just wish scrolling wallpaper actually worked somehow.
I wish Touchwiz at least had a scrolling dock. If it did I could probably live with everything else. Are you sure it was the launcher that were killing your battery or was it possibly just playing with the launchers and using the phone more than usual?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo