GS3 - Can I get it to read text messages out loud?

kaivorb

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I've tried searching, but the results I found were all for other phones.

I just want this to happen while I'm in the car not all the time. If a text pops up, it'd be nice if I could hit a button and just have it read out loud to me (Text to Voice?). Like a button on that little pop up notification, maybe?

I think I had a text get read out loud once when I first got the phone, but I don't remember how I got that to happen.

I don't want a setting, that makes it happen ALL THE TIME, but I'd like an option to have it when I need it.

Thanks
K--

kaivorb

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm...I'm not even sure that is an option for me. The Driving Mode, I mean. On the US Sprint S3, I don't even see a Driving Mode option. I think I saw earlier that it wasn't enabled on ours maybe?

But it sounds like I'm not missing much.

I'll try the divesafe.ly app, though. That could work. Thanks

K--

Tampaguy75

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
The driving mode will not read texts for me, either. It will only state that I have a text message (not very helpful). Drive safe app doesn't integrate well with my car audio (bluetooth). It doesn't automatically take over the speakers if I get a text unless I have the audio set to aux.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Roboticz

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Ok I was playing with Driving Mode... but all it did was read out the number I got a phone call from. It didn't read texts.

kaivorb

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
So it turns out my GS3 has what I was looking for built in. :) When a text message pops up with a notification, I have a little speaker button all the way to the right. I tapped that and it read my text flawlessly. Just what I wanted.

I don't know if this is baked in or part of Handcent, though. I use Handcent as my MMS, and I'm not sure if this pop up is connected to that or not.

Regardless it works. I just had to test it with my wife sending me several messages as I played around with random buttons.

K--

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
I believe that's Handcent.

The Vlingo app will automatically read it for you as soon as the text comes in, without you having to manually push an icon. Works well for when I'm driving.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Wait I just found out. Forget 3rd party apps, it's baked into S voice. Turn on "driving mode". Apparently, S voice is powered by Vlingo.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: jcp007

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I enabled the option to read message bodies in S-Voice. It's now working properly.

Do you guys actually have an icon for enable/disable driving mode in your notifications pulldown? I have airplane mode there but not driving mode...

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I enabled the option to read message bodies in S-Voice. It's now working properly.

Do you guys actually have an icon for enable/disable driving mode in your notifications pulldown? I have airplane mode there but not driving mode...

international s3 has it m8 (since the update anyway) dont know about the US ones

maig

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Turn on Driving Mode and use Samsung as Voice Recogniser then enable Show Body Text
1. Pull down Drop Box and enable Driving Mode
2. Settings>Language and input>Voice Recogiser "select Samsung powered by Vlingo">Voice Search (check "Show body of message")