Shutting down applications

robh2

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I talked to Samsung today because my wifes S3 dies in 8-9 hours and my S3 last for a day and a half with similar use. They said it was because she had more apps open that I did. Only 5 more.

They said when you close an app, you dont really close it, you have to go to settings, application manager and running to close each app you are no longer using one and a time. Or you can close an app and go to settings to close it there also each time. WTF?

Everything I read says stay away from app killers because Android does a good job on its own and the app killers really just use more battery. Really? They why does Samsung say different or are they on crack? So I have installed Battery Dr Saver Task Killer on both phones to see if this helps.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Robert

frankles42

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
you dont have to go through the settings menu to do it... just hold the home button and swipe away apps you dont want open anymore.

android does do a good job of managing memory by closing un needed apps, but it doesnt do anything about open apps still using data in the background which is where you're probably losing battery life.

Reactions: JoshB410

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
I talked to Samsung today because my wifes S3 dies in 8-9 hours and my S3 last for a day and a half with similar use. They said it was because she had more apps open that I did. Only 5 more.

They said when you close an app, you dont really close it, you have to go to settings, application manager and running to close each app you are no longer using one and a time. Or you can close an app and go to settings to close it there also each time. WTF?

Everything I read says stay away from app killers because Android does a good job on its own and the app killers really just use more battery. Really? They why does Samsung say different or are they on crack? So I have installed Battery Dr Saver Task Killer on both phones to see if this helps.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Robert
Uninstall the task killer. Its not needed

Hold down the home button, and click remove all, when you feel your phone bogged down. Also, on the same screen, click "task manager" and go into the RAM tab. Clear that. That should essentially "wipe clean" the unneeded system apps

Reactions: ashishb

robh2

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes I really miss my iPhone. The wife wont like having to go and do stuff. She gets mad at me when she has to do a battery pull. lol...

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes I really miss my iPhone. The wife wont like having to go and do stuff. She gets mad at me when she has to do a battery pull. lol...

You don't have to do that all the time. If you're using an app, and back out. Its fine to leave it as if you need to reopen that same app, its already cached and will open much quicker and take less resources to do so.

Also, you may want to check the apps that you download to make sure they have reasonable sync intervals, as this could also be a culprit to your battery problems (and why the apps stay open). Go into settings on apps that send out notifications (facebook, twitter, etc.) and check that their sync intervals aren't too close together (I have my Facebook set at every 2 hours)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty