johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
How long did it take to very used to swype? I'm trying it out because Swiftkey causes screen flicker in the stock messaging app.

f1nzup

May 29, 2010
Visit site
The hardest part about Swype is obviously learning where the letters are, and it's different "swyping" to them compared to "typing" them. As far as how long it takes, I would not consider myself a heavy texter, maybe 20-40 a day, and it took a day or so to start feeling comfortable with where the letters where, and within a week it was second nature.

I would recommend going to their website and watching the short education videos they have posted there. Well worth the time and it will come in handy. They are only about 90 seconds each so it doesn't take long to get through them. Good luck.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I am very used to . It comes so naturally. I don't even think about keys to Swype it just flows. I guess of course it would help to know the keyboard as all but hey.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I looks just as will. Is the stock keyboard the official swype keyboard?

Not at all. That one is terrible. If you go to Swype website you can download the keyboard. Which is so much better than stock. It's uglier but . It's way better, more accurate, and actually gets used to the way you talk so the prediction of your word choices are amazing.

Roboticz

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Swype is a great keyboard... it only takes a moment to get used to and then you will be typing way faster than before.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Just wish it looked nicer. And was official, not beta. I'm trying to get used to the stock keyboard. It's not great. But it's not the worst.

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm using the one you linked. It's too blocky and orange.

Does anyone user the stock keyboard? It's decent

If you have ever used Swype before and then try to use the stock keyboard you'll know how bad the stock keyboard is. I gave the stock keyboard a try for about a week, but I got so frustrated with how often I had to re-type the word in... there was so many times where I tried to precisely swype the word in several times but it wouldn't get it right and none of the suggestions were even right. I'm not talking about completed words either, I'm talking about simple 4-5 letter words.

Swype is way more accurate... at least for me anyway. Also, I don't think the look of it is that bad. The only thing is I hope that Swype will update their app to use Jelly Bean's stock text-to-speech feature instead of their own, as Jelly Bean's has the text-to-speech engine right on the phone and doesn't need a data connection.

Kevin Harvell

May 31, 2012
Visit site
For the last 2 years, I have been a constant Swype user. Tried SwiftKey, SlideIt and other keyboards, but always went back to Swype because of how simple and fast it was to "type" with one hand. I even did a comparison on my blog between Swype and SwiftKey awhile back.

But for the last 4 weeks, I have given SwiftKey a dedicated, full on, trial and have found it to work very well. I even enabled Swype again, and after a few days switched back to SwiftKey.

My biggest gripe with Swype is lack of keyboard themes. I do not think the default is terrible looking by any means, but it needs some options. That, and it needs to have an official release. It should not stay beta forever.

I still believe that they are the two best options for any Android user and cannot recommend one over the other. I feel it is up to the user to try them both out and find what works best for them.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
My Swype just pushed an update. It's currently downloading I have no idea how it will affect the keyboard.our anything but hopefully it just gets better and better.

The keyboard.really is ugly though. I might email the dev and ask if we could get some customization like thick/thinness of the line, color of the line, color of the keys, letters, and symbols.

Kevin Phillips

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Once I started using Swype I realized how hard it is to type on a normal keyboard. I find it very useful when I am in a bumpy vehicle as it is easier to slide your finger to all the letters than try and hit the right one on a bumpy road.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Android Central Forums

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
The official swype is orange and ugly. The blue one is the Samsung keyboard and looks better but sucks @$$
Swiftkey works great but has a few bugs with the GS3

So I'm trying to decide which is the least annoying

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
For reasons that are now beyond me, I just tried 7/8 of all the keyboards I could find. I'm back on Swype now and comfortable.for the first time in weeks. I got bored with the tap-tap-tap keyboards--too slow and inaccurate. I couldn't decide between Swype and Swiftkey. Swiftkey has more options, better keyboard layout, and is *much* more responsive to users. It just came down to that accuracy thing.

Sfrrr
Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non