What is eating away my data in the background?

skedzinger

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,

after 2 weeks of usage I am already over my monthly data budget.

Internal data displays 379MB for Android Os - all others reasonable to what I used them for.

I just installed my data manager and within 10 minutes without touching it it displayed:

Android System 2MB
OS Services 284KB

As I am new to Android, I'd appreciate if you could point me in the right direction for finding whats causing it.

drmaf894c

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
You might un install all apps and start over one at a time to see which is draining your data. Also there is a built in data manager in the settings menu (settings - - data) that will allow you to limit the data you use so you won't go over.

Otherwise watch out for Facebook, emails, other services that run in the background to check things. Also watch Pandora and how many apps you download. All of those things are data. Could add up.

Hope it helps.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Android Central Forums

skedzinger

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
thanks drmaf894c,

but that would mean these apps (facebook, email, etc) don't account for themselves in the data usage overview - but in the Android System & OS Services.

If that would be the case - the overview by app is nonsense :p

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
go to Data Usage in settings mate, scroll down a bit and youl see the biggest data users from top to bottom.
tap on one of the apps and theres a pie chart of what is background data.
if you feel that the app doesnt need to be using data in the background, check the lil box that limits it :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

skedzinger

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
hi Funky,

well - that's the point. I see the biggest spenders - far ahead is "Android OS" - and I don't know what it is doing all the time.

All the others seem reasonable compared to what I used them for.

Droidfreeze

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Friend Watch Out Your Social apps Running In Background And Try To Close Them Properly before After Your use.

And To get Your data in limits You Can use various Apps Available on Play Store. E.g--NQ Mobile .

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Could be something syncing in the background

Get this app called Onavo Count... It manages and tracks everything that uses your data and records it... If it wasn't for this app I wouldn't have never guessed that Trust Go was somehow using so much of my freaking data... I still don't know how it used 336 MB... I usually never go over 1GB in a month

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351672416317.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351672416317.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 71
  • uploadfromtaptalk1351672426472.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351672426472.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 71

skedzinger

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Dear all - really appreciate your comments - but the problem is I can't identify what is using the data - even with those apps. As they seem to be by android os itself!

Screenshot_2012-10-31-18-32-46.pngScreenshot_2012-10-31-18-33-22.pngScreenshot_2012-10-31-18-33-30.pngScreenshot_2012-10-31-18-33-46.png

Onavo shows some items - all with the same 10.5MB usage (without doing anything) for the afternoon. Seem to be some internal system stuff that is compiled in "Android OS" in the standard data display...

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Take a screen shot of what's running in the back ground

"all animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others" animal bylaws- animal farm

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
that does seem high mate
this was in 7days use
uploadfromtaptalk1351691306295.jpg
is this happening while the phone is asleep?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
im guessing when Android Os uses data, its when the phone is syncing stuff?
we need an expert... SKUNKAPE!!! :)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
uploadfromtaptalk1351691962257.jpg

you could just disable background data on Android Os and see if you notice anything not working or anythin....
EDIT: sorry it cant be disabled :(

skedzinger

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Hehe, still thanks for trying :)

@iCrank - could you show me what screen you mean? I don't see anything else displayed using the 3 apps shown above.

JeniferF

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Friend Watch Out Your Social apps Running In Background And Try To Close Them Properly before After Your use.

And To get Your data in limits You Can use various Apps Available on Play Store. E.g--NQ Mobile .

Please tell me how to close Facebook Properly... I normally hold downthe hoem key and tehn when all that is opn pops up up I hit "remove all".
is there something else I can do?

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Hehe, still thanks for trying :)

@iCrank - could you show me what screen you mean? I don't see anything else displayed using the 3 apps shown above.

Settings>application manager>running

"all animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others" animal bylaws- animal farm

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Please tell me how to close Facebook Properly... I normally hold downthe hoem key and tehn when all that is opn pops up up I hit "remove all".
is there something else I can do?

Yes that's how you do it but the Facebook app always runs in the background. I deleted it off of my device now I just check the Internet

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes that's how you do it but the Facebook app always runs in the background. I deleted it off of my device now I just check the Internet

I always log out of Facebook when I'm done (I also close the app from the task manager) and that prevents it from doing anything in the background. Sure it gets annoying logging back in when needed but it makes sure it's not using up my battery :)

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I always log out of Facebook when I'm done (I also close the app from the task manager) and that prevents it from doing anything in the background. Sure it gets annoying logging back in when needed but it makes sure it's not using up my battery :)

True.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
True.

Oh but also forgot to mention... I still agree with you.. the Facebook app sucks. Haha. :beer:;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87