About to give up and go back to iPhone

rteichman

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Well today is the day I must make my decision and I am sorry to say that I probably will return the phone and go back to the iPhone. There are many things I liked about this phone and many things I know I will miss, however in the end some of my critical requirements are just not met by this phone (or Android). I love the screen, I love the freedom, I love the flexibility, but that does not help me with the basics. I was willing to make tradeoffs, but they just grew to large for me. The combined deal breakers for me are:
1) Size, for me, it's just a little bit too large for me to manage single handed while walking. Yes, I can do it, but barely, not comfortably, and always feeling like the phone can be dropped.
2) Skype does not work on the phone. There are alternatives, but my company, and family all are on Skype so I really need it
3) No Compass feature in CityMaps2Go. I travel a lot and usually to places where I don't have internet access. I use this app to get around. The Android version does not have the compass feature like the iOS version so you can't see the direction you are walking on the map.
4) Various transportation/ticketing apps don't work reliably. Example; the NY Waterways app will not reliably let you buy or show your tickets.
5) Battery life, it just does not get me through a day. While most days I can recharge during the day, that is not always the case. I have tried everything I read on posts, but to get me through, I need the phone to last longer. Sure I can use an external battery or larger battery, but I don't want the extra size/weight.

The last item is that the phone does wierd things from time to time. For example, switching from speakerphone to handheld does not always work. I use this a lot when I call places, and leave it on speaker until someone answers and then switch to the handset.

Sure there are solutions and workarounds for all of the above (like use my iPad for Skype), but after a while the compromises just get too great and you need to ask yourself is it worth it? I really wanted it to be, but I just can't justify it any more. Every day it seems I am hitting another area that I have to find a work around for.

It's depressing. Aside from the features I will loose, I also invested some money in this phone (restocking fee, extra chargers, 32GB SD card, case, etc.) :(

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Yup. Good luck with yyour iphone. People have different needs from their phone and the S3 does not seem to have what it takes to please you.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
tumblr_mchiwdZiKH1rsw1yf.gif

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Lol I will never understand why people feel compelled to let everyone know they are going with another phone. It's reminiscent of the chatters in the old chat rooms years ago who said, "good bye everyone... I'm leaving the internet".

If you're missing features you need, get the phone that works best for you. My thoughts are that these types of posts are reaching ....you're wanting someone to talk you in to or out of your decision.

The fact is - iPhone software is not on the cutting edge, it just isn't. What I've also found is that it takes a little more patient and motivated individual to use and enjoy Android devices. Apple is VERY simplistic, it's like a basic calculator compared to a scientific calculator which is Android. The calculators do the same thing, but differently... and one does it in a more thorough way with features that can really enhance your experience. If you came from iPhone, you need more than a month to adapt to the complexity of Android. It can (and is) be a beautiful thing.

Please, run, don't walk....back to your beloved iDevice because I promise, no one here wants to listen to complaints about the phones we prefer.

You will be behind... always... with iOS. That's just a fact :)

<< Sent from my SG3 using Tapatalk >>

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Have fun, maybe try posting this in the ios section of the Android Central Forums next time Thanks

I used to use physical buttons, and then I found button savior
-S. T. C

Sent from my rooted, debloated CM10 jelly bean 4.1.2 Samsung Galaxy S3 #LikeABo$$

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I've discovered, and I tend to not make generalizations, that droidsters like to get under the hood a bit and tinker, learn how to make things work better, and try new stuff. On the other hand it usually seems the ipeeps like to turn it on and push big buttons and everything always works perfect, in their own little world.

{ flame shields UP! }

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I hear ya, rteichman, and was thinking I'd probably return mine and go back to the iPhone, as well. My list of disappointments with android was/is just as long as yours—but mostly due to several other factors that I've also been disappointed with—since getting the GS3. However, I let my return window pass last week, mostly due to the fact that my wife switched from iPhone to the Galaxy Note (which she absolutely loves, btw), after seeing my large display and all. . . so I guess I figured I'd ride this android thing out (for the next 20 months w/ AT&T), so we'd both be on the same OS, which I've been able to help her a little with, as I familiarize myself with it, and also due to things like the 'WiFi Direct' & 'S Beam' (which we've been having fun with), and the camera quality & options, etc., plus the fact that I really like the large display too, especially for emails, web browsing, pictures, radar & satellite weather, etc.-etc.
But the truth be told . . .everyday I'm still wondering if I made the right choice—of not returning it—and going back to iPhone. :confused:

The rooting thing sure sounds interesting though. Three weeks on, I'm only still reading threads & other stuff about it, so I haven't decided whether I'll try it or not. I'm still trying to figure-out what it's really all about, and what they're all talking about! lol It's like a foreign language! :confused: lol
But I wonder if being 'rooted'...might not help or enable your GS3 to do more of the things you'd like it to do?

Sorry to see that some other posters on this thread and in reply to your heartfelt op, feel like they need to be so childish, immature, unfriendly & rude. . . . :mother of all ROLLEYES:

Last edited:

weblou

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Well today is the day I must make my decision and I am sorry to say that I probably will return the phone and go back to the iPhone. There are many things I liked about this phone and many things I know I will miss, however in the end some of my critical requirements are just not met by this phone (or Android). I love the screen, I love the freedom, I love the flexibility, but that does not help me with the basics. I was willing to make tradeoffs, but they just grew to large for me. The combined deal breakers for me are:
1) Size, for me, it's just a little bit too large for me to manage single handed while walking. Yes, I can do it, but barely, not comfortably, and always feeling like the phone can be dropped.
Nothing could do about this...big screen big phone...... simple

2) Skype does not work on the phone. There are alternatives, but my company, and family all are on Skype so I really need it
My skype works great..maybe remove and re instal

3) No Compass feature in CityMaps2Go. I travel a lot and usually to places where I don't have internet access. I use this app to get around. The Android version does not have the compass feature like the iOS version so you can't see the direction you are walking on the map.
Try another app (there's like 1000000 of them)

4) Various transportation/ticketing apps don't work reliably. Example; the NY Waterways app will not reliably let you buy or show your tickets.
No idea don't use public transportation

5) Battery life, it just does not get me through a day. While most days I can recharge during the day, that is not always the case. I have tried everything I read on posts, but to get me through, I need the phone to last longer. Sure I can use an external battery or larger battery, but I don't want the extra size/weight.
For $25/$30 you get an extra battery and you could remove the one that's dying and use the other..then charge both at night. iP5 has better battery then S3...but not by much so it will also be a problem for you

The last item is that the phone does wierd things from time to time. For example, switching from speakerphone to handheld does not always work. I use this a lot when I call places, and leave it on speaker until someone answers and then switch to the handset.
Is your software up to date? Did you try do to do any mods to your phone...maybe you could exchange it

Sure there are solutions and workarounds for all of the above (like use my iPad for Skype), but after a while the compromises just get too great and you need to ask yourself is it worth it? I really wanted it to be, but I just can't justify it any more. Every day it seems I am hitting another area that I have to find a work around for.

It's depressing. Aside from the features I will loose, I also invested some money in this phone (restocking fee, extra chargers, 32GB SD card, case, etc.) :(

If you want the ip5 then get the ip5..it's your money your life...get what you want

bryanw504

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
If you want the ip5 then get the ip5..it's your money your life...get what you want

Agreed Skype works just fine not sure why yours does not maybe a factory reset or try exchanging the phone for another could be a lemon. As far as the compass thing goes just use another app does it have to be that one and if so why. There are so many free apps out there with a compass just pick one that fits your needs. The point of a different OS is to try new things not the same stuff because we all know apps for Android versus iOS differ from app to app. As far as battery life well not much we can do there either get an extended or extra battery. As far as the speaker phone thing sounds again like you need to wipe the phone or exchange it for another.

Hope this helps

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
The rooting thing sure sounds interesting though. Three weeks on, I'm only still reading threads & other stuff about it, so I haven't decided whether I'll try it or not. I'm still trying to figure-out what it's really all about, and what they're all talking about! lol It's like a foreign language! :confused: lol
But I wonder if being 'rooted'...might not help or enable your GS3 to do more of the things you'd like it to do?

There's a good piece on rooting here on Android Central:

Get 'Root' on your Android device | Android Central

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
It's cool OP. The reason we have options is so every one's needs are met in some way. The thing about phones today, is Apple users fall in love with specific Apple Apps and then refuse to try to find comparable apps they like on Android. It would be just as much work for me to switch to the iPhone as it is for you to switch to Android. People say it's because Android is too complicated and iPhone "just works" but that is not true in all cases. The reason it appears this way, is Android lovers know how to tinker and find solutions EASILY. iPhone lovers generally prefer Apple tells them what works best. If you don't find joy in playing with your device and searching for more enhancements, definitely get the iPhone. I personally get a rush when I decide it's time to change my phone, and I'm not even rooted.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

rteichman

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
My thoughts are that these types of posts are reaching ....you're wanting someone to talk you in to or out of your decision.
That is exactly the point. I don't want to go back, I WANT reasons to keep the S3. As I said there are a lot of points that I like about it.

@glou; how is it your Skype works when all over there are people saying it doesn't (on the S3). Have you actually made and received calls on it recently? If yes, what did you do? I would love to find an answer. I have removed and reinstalled it 3 times so far, cleared cache, etc. At best it works for one call and then stops working.

@glou: can you help and name an offline, street level mapping application that has compass direction in addition to GPS. I figured that CityMaps2Go did not have the compass feature on Android because of a hardware limitation since it has it on the iOS version. If that is not the case then I will look for another app.

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
There will always be people who can not seem to read between the lines. This wad clearly a request for help, and NOT someone who is locked into the iPhone.

So, with that said, Android has some apps that are better than the iPhone version, and some which are worse. If an app you use in Apple land is worse ob Android, then before you give up on Android, check out alternatives that do the job. Google maps with navigator for example has sone really nice features under Android, and you may not need anything extra for your needs. My wife was shocked at jow much better the Kindle app is for Android compared to her iPhone.

I could go on, but that is really the key. Learn that there ARE alternatives when it comes to apps. There is always the possibility that you are mot used to a true multi-tasking OS where you have widgets and apps working in the background. Hold the "home" button to get into the task switcher and close the apps you are not using to save on battery power. You can enable power saving mode as well to help.

Android is NOT iOS, so why try to treat it like it is?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That is exactly the point. I don't want to go back, I WANT reasons to keep the S3. As I said there are a lot of points that I like about it.

Then next time ask? You made it sound like you're out the door and grabbing the iphone so I kindly said bye! Phones are an opinion thing.. I won't flame you for wanting to go back if you really want since the s3 won't be for everyone and also the iphone won't be for everyone.

But.... Don't post nothing but oh man this sucks and this sucks and then end your post.. You didn't ask for help or assistance on these issues.. You made your 5 points on how it is pretty much a deal breaker in your life on those things for personal & business (company) reasons. So... It's kind of pointless suggesting since your not asking for em (till this post now) and you basically are saying you NEED those things for work and play...

So I'm confused on what you want? :confused:

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

weblou

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
My Skype works fine. I make calls and receive calls on it. I called landlines and Cell numbers. All seems ok. What's wrong with your skype?

As for maps..honestly i don't use any.. but there's tons in the apps store. Another Idea get a compass widget and continue using CityMaps... like this you use the app you like and you have your direction...

@glou; how is it your Skype works when all over there are people saying it doesn't (on the S3). Have you actually made and received calls on it recently? If yes, what did you do? I would love to find an answer. I have removed and reinstalled it 3 times so far, cleared cache, etc. At best it works for one call and then stops working.

@glou: can you help and name an offline, street level mapping application that has compass direction in addition to GPS. I figured that CityMaps2Go did not have the compass feature on Android because of a hardware limitation since it has it on the iOS version. If that is not the case then I will look for another app.

emathed

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
My Skype is awful. Works for about 5 seconds on first call and then disconnects every call therafter. Not sure why it isnt working?

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site

In my opinion, although the way he presented it was a bit condescending, trucky is right. I came to the GS3 and Android from BlackBerry, and I've found the same thing was true, although maybe even MORE SO coming from iOS, from what I know. iOS comes fully configured and integrated out of the box, but you BETTER like the way its configured, because that configuration is pretty rigid and unchangeable. I think BlackBerry is in the middle, not as "full featured" as iOS, but at the same time not as restrictive either. Android, on the other hand, is on the opposite end of the spectrum. In my opinion, after 3-4 months of usage, out of the box it has a lot more "rough edges" in terms of polish and everything meshing together in a fluid manner. I've found that I've had to find, download and install a number of programs to get to the point of usability that I had with my BlackBerry - 3rd party email, 3rd party SMS, profile functionality, etc. BUT, Android is by far THE most open platform and provides the most options in terms of ultimately getting the phone to the way YOU prefer it to operate and be used.

As I note in my signature, the learning curve can be steep, and for the first few weeks, things will likely not be as "smooth" and integrated as you like. Ultimately though, you can make this phone more "yours" than you'll ever be able to with iPhone. If you're willing to suffer the learning curve, then I'd say keep the S3. If you're the kind who "doesn't have the time for that" and doesn't really want to take the time and effort to learn the platform and customize/configure it over a learning curve that will be weeks and maybe a few months long - then go back to the iPhone. If that openness is intriguing to you though, then do what I've been doing, and invest the time (and occasional frustration) in that learning curve. Ultimately, I'm happy with my S3 - and you'll only have that steep learning curve once, your next Android phone will be a breeze to set up the way you want it.

weblou

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Really? is that in LTE? or wifi?
I haven't had many issues..sometimes maybe wasn't connecting..but same problem with my iPhone

My Skype is awful. Works for about 5 seconds on first call and then disconnects every call therafter. Not sure why it isnt working?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch